Misson Space ?

JaSnake16

Im gonna stay away from the topic of death on this one and just give my opinion of whether or not they should close the ride or not. I was on it for the first time on Friday and I absolutely hated this ride. Ive been on plenty of "thrill" rides at Six Flags and the like but I have never exprienced anything like this in my life. I felt extremely nauseous not only coming off the ride but for the rest of the day and into the next morning after this.

Another point (again just sticking with the topic of the ride itself) Shouldnt a ride thats about a year old have some sort of line. Dont people want to go on a new ride. The wait time at 5:00 PM was zero, yes zero minutes and EPCOT was jammed. Doesnt that say something.

Close the ride. Now with this happening, that should be a foregone conclusion.

DisneyInTN

wdwmagic said:
I don't think that is a fair comparison. 1 death in 2 years is implying that Mission Space is responsible for the death, which is not proven and therefore not accurate. What is proven at the moment, is that there has been 8.6 million riders go through the attraction without incident.

I am not saying the ride is responsible. All I say is take under consideration the 'statistics'. And 'without incident' isn't accurate either. People have been sent to the hospital and countless others felt ill afterwards. (I know I know, they were properly warned before hand.) Where is that statistic? I would like to see how many people felt ill out of that 8.6 million.

I know Walt loved the adventures of space, but I seriously doubt he would approve a ride that offered motion sickness bags as a convenience and that required EXTENSIVE warnings in the queue line. That's just my opinion.

Hakunamata... your post didn't make any sense. :confused:

Tom

Beta Return
DisneyInTN said:
Hakunamata... your post didn't make any sense. :confused:

Yes it did. First of all, his opening sentence was sarcastic - everyone who is born will eventually die. He was giving an example of a statistic that is 100% true but has no merit or value to anyone - just like most statistics.

I bet if you dug deep enough, you could find statistics on MANY rides that compare to M:S's stats on "incidents". A hypothetical example would be Small World (the tamest ride they have to offer) - say that in X million riders, Y riders fainted, or got ill while riding Small World. Now, more than likely, every one of those hypothetical "Y" riders fainted or fell ill because of a bad lunch, the flu, heat stroke, or a pre-existing medical condition, because nothing on Small World can cause either one of these ailments. Carry this across the board - all attractions - I bet that if you look back in the logs, you could find a higher percentage of people that were involved with "incidents" on many other tame attractions than the percentage of people who have had "incidents" on M:S.

Statistics are just that - statistics. They mean nothing unless you narrow them down to tiny, specific groups of people, times, weather conditions, etc, etc - saying that 10 people (or whatever) have passed out on M:S doesn't mean that M:S caused 10 people to pass out. It means that 10 people coincidentally passed out while they happened to be on M:S. People will continue to pass out, barf, or perhaps die while riding M:S - or ANY other attraction at WDW or in any park in the world. This will not be the last time that someone will die on a ride - I guarantee it. And I am willing to wager that most of the ride deaths (not related to mechanical failures) are NOT due to the ride, or the forces it produces, itself, but to a set of coincidental events that took place.

My sympathies to the boy, his family and friends - it is tragic to lose someone, but even more so to lose them in the most Magical Place on Earth. I trust that Disney will help console them as best they can - and hopefully they figure out what it was that actually caused the death.

CaliSurfer182

MouseMadness said:
Disney has determined that M:S's record and current state justify its staying open. It is YOUR job to determine whether or not you wish to CHOOSE to experience the ride, taking into account your own set of criteria.

There... enjoy my rambling goodness. :lol:

Yes Yes Yes, if you don't agree with the risk don't take it, judge for yourself and those you are responsible for, but not for everybody else. :)

DisneyInTN

edwardtc said:
Statistics are just that - statistics. They mean nothing unless you narrow them down to tiny, specific groups of people, times, weather conditions, etc, etc - saying that 10 people (or whatever) have passed out on M:S doesn't mean that M:S caused 10 people to pass out. It means that 10 people coincidentally passed out while they happened to be on M:S. People will continue to pass out, barf, or perhaps die while riding M:S - or ANY other attraction at WDW or in any park in the world. This will not be the last time that someone will die on a ride - I guarantee it. And I am willing to wager that most of the ride deaths (not related to mechanical failures) are NOT due to the ride, or the forces it produces, itself, but to a set of coincidental events that took place.

Thank you!! You proved my point! Statistics are just that... statistics! And they mean nothing unless you... well, you can read the post above. My point is exactly that. Don't use the 8.6 million statistic because it is not entirely accurate. So many people keep throwing that out there... "It must be safe because 8.6 million people ...yada yada yada..."

Tom

Beta Return
IneedaWDWfix said:
Why doesn't someone find fault with the parents, you know, the RESPONSIBLE ones??

Indeed, quite true - but in today's society we lack the responsible parents of yesterday. I'm only 24, single, and childless, but I have a better idea of how to parent than most people who have children.

With the lack of discipline (especially spanking, which I got my fair share of as a child, and which my children will receive their fair share of too!), and parents wanting to be "cool" to their kids, they let them do ANYTHING they want. If that means riding something that has 10,000 warnings against riding it - by God, they let them because "they want to".

Children have parents for a reason - because they cannot make intelligent, rational, logical choices yet (but many adults can't either). Now, we still can't say that "mom" in this incident was at fault because she may not have known if in fact her kid had something wrong with him before the accident, but in many cases it comes down to the person themself either not following directions or not having someone more responsible there to make their decision for them, whether they're a child or someone with a mental handicap.

Here is something many of us "locals" seem to overlook.
The Family was from Pennsylvania. It is possible that the child suffered from heat stroke. Many kids/parents are so excited about being in the parks, that they forget to drink water, or a sports drink. Soda's and lemonade do not count either. (I am not sure about diet drinks). I have run the two Disney Marathons, and many local races, hydration is #1 on the list to keep you healthy. The #2 is not to take in 100% water, you need the minerals, and stuff in Sports Drinks to keep your levels in your body even. It is even possible that the boy was over hydrated with water, and that is just a dangerous.

I would like to know how the child died also, but until we know 100%, It's anyone's guess.

I will keep praying for the boys family, so that they will have strength to get through this tradegy.

Blue.

CaliSurfer182

DisneyInTN said:
Thank you!! You proved my point! Statistics are just that... statistics! And they mean nothing unless you... well, you can read the post above. My point is exactly that. Don't use the 8.6 million statistic because it is not entirely accurate. So many people keep throwing that out there... "It must be safe because 8.6 million people ...yada yada yada..."

But yet the statistic of one death is enough to qualify the ride as unsafe, bring scrutiny to a major theme park and other similar enterprises, and to precipitate hours of countless news coverage, capitalizing on an innocent death.

DisneyInTN

edwardtc said:
Indeed, quite true - but in today's society we lack the responsible parents of yesterday. I'm only 24, single, and childless, but I have a better idea of how to parent than most people who have children.

No offense, edwardtc, but until you walk in the shoes of a parent, you really don't have an idea of tough it can be. Trust me. 5 months ago I felt the same way as you (that I thought I knew more about parenting than many parents) but with a 5-month old I have much more respect for parents who struggle with a screaming baby in public, etc. Tomorrow morning I must take my son on his first airplane trip and I am terrified! :lol:

Even responsible parents make bad decisions. Whether this mother was responsible or irresponsible, she must live with the fact she let him ride M:S for the rest of her life. An experience I pray to God I do not have to deal with.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
DisneyInTN said:
I know Walt loved the adventures of space, but I seriously doubt he would approve a ride that offered motion sickness bags as a convenience and that required EXTENSIVE warnings in the queue line. That's just my opinion.

Wrong.. he approved the Matterhorn which people have died on.. even of their own stupidity just go look at snopes

May 1964: <!--
skulcros.gif
-->Mark Maples, a 15-year-old Long Beach, CA, resident, was killed when he tried to stand up on the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Maples (or his companion) foolishly unbuckled his seatbeat and attempted to stand up as their bobsled neared the peak of the mountain. Maples lost his balance and was thrown from the sled to the track below, fracturing his skull and ribs and causing internal injuries. He died three days later.

Tom

Beta Return
DisneyInTN said:
No offense, edwardtc, but until you walk in the shoes of a parent, you really don't have an idea of tough it can be. Trust me. 5 months ago I felt the same way as you (that I thought I knew more about parenting than many parents) but with a 5-month old I have much more respect for parents who struggle with a screaming baby in public, etc. Tomorrow morning I must take my son on his first airplane trip and I am terrified! :lol:

Even responsible parents make bad decisions. Whether this mother was responsible or irresponsible, she must live with the fact she let him ride M:S for the rest of her life. An experience I pray to God I do not have to deal with.

I understand that there is a LOT more to it than where I was going with my comments - I was just making my usual soapbox stereotypical statements, haha! I have a lot of respect for parents (the ones who really are trying). Yup, they ALL make mistakes, but then there are the ones I was stereotyping who just don't try, or don't want to make their kid mad, or discipline them, or give them every single thing they want.

Kudos to you and best of luck in your new journey - especially the flight!! :)

DisneyInTN

edwardtc said:
I understand that there is a LOT more to it than where I was going with my comments - I was just making my usual soapbox stereotypical statements, haha! I have a lot of respect for parents (the ones who really are trying). Yup, they ALL make mistakes, but then there are the ones I was stereotyping who just don't try, or don't want to make their kid mad, or discipline them, or give them every single thing they want.

Kudos to you and best of luck in your new journey - especially the flight!! :)

Thanks!
I also thought it was funny about the belt comment. I too was raised in the 'belt era'. My dad could whip off his belt as fast as a quickdraw Cowboy from the West. I never stood a chance to run! :lol:

Well, tomorrow's flight experience will be the deciding factor as to whether my son will have any siblings.

nibblesandbits

edwardtc said:

With the lack of discipline (especially spanking, which I got my fair share of as a child, and which my children will receive their fair share of too!), and parents wanting to be "cool" to their kids, they let them do ANYTHING they want. If that means riding something that has 10,000 warnings against riding it - by God, they let them because "they want to".

Children have parents for a reason - because they cannot make intelligent, rational, logical choices yet (but many adults can't either). Now, we still can't say that "mom" in this incident was at fault because she may not have known if in fact her kid had something wrong with him before the accident, but in many cases it comes down to the person themself either not following directions or not having someone more responsible there to make their decision for them, whether they're a child or someone with a mental handicap.

I agree with you 100%...even though I like you do not have children, I believe that I have more of an idea of how to raise a child than a lot of people who actually have children because I have watched all the mistakes that people have made in the past. The parents are at blame at least a little for this because if you haven't noticed...there are WARNINGS everywhere on the ride. How on earth can a responsible parent not notice the warnings and take heed of them. True mom and dad are not totally repsonsible because if it was due to a preexisting condition, they would have never known about it...but as I stated earlier...how can someone who is responsible take a 4 year old on a ride that has warnings posted everywhere stating that the ride may not be suitable for everyone? To me, after riding M:S and experiencing what the ride does to the body, I realize that 4 years old is at that age where the ride might not be suitable for that person.

DisneyInTeN said:

I also don't think it's fair for you to say that just because edward (and also me) are not parents that we don't know what's good for a child. Sure, it may be true that we don't know how tough it is...nor will we know until we have children, but to say that we don't know that taking a 4 year old child on mission Space is a risk...that is entirely not true.

It is sad that this family will have to live with the fact that their son has died...and my condolences are with them...but as others can say...we won't know the truth of what happens until the autopsy comes out...which I"m sure it will, since it is national news...and I hope that no one else has to deal with it either.

nibblesandbits

DisneyInTN said:
I never said that.
sorry for putting words in your mouth...that wasn't what I meant when I typed that...I just meant that it really isn't fair to say that since we don't have kids, we don't know much about parenting...sorry about that again.

DisneyInTN

nibblesandbits said:
sorry for putting words in your mouth...that wasn't what I meant when I typed that...I just meant that it really isn't fair to say that since we don't have kids, we don't know much about parenting...sorry about that.

I also never said you didn't know much about parenting either. All I said was it was difficult to understand how tough it can be unless you walk in a parent's shoes. And I think I have a valid point. Many parents may be able to account to that. It is tougher than I thought it would be, but it is very rewarding too. (Father's Day *hint hint*)

But I am not arguing with you that you do not know what is good for a child. I am sure you posses a lot more common sense about kids than some of the parents I have seen. :)

nibblesandbits

DisneyInTN said:
I also never said you didn't know much about parenting either. All I said was it was difficult to understand how tough it can be unless you walk in a parent's shoes. And I think I have a valid point. Many parents may be able to account to that. It is tougher than I thought it would be, but it is very rewarding too. (Father's Day *hint hint*)

But I am not arguing with you that you do not know what is good for a child. I am sure you posses a lot more common sense about kids than some of the parents I have seen. :)

Ok, fair enough you do have a very valid point. (and by the way...happy fathers day! :p ) And I hope you're right about the common sense with kids thing...I want to be a good parent someday. (Although, I think if you talked to my dad...he'd have an arugment saying that I didn't have much common sense! For example, they kid me about the fact that I made the Deans List, but I had to ask what it meant! :lol: )

Rockstar

Me and wife were just in Epcot in the middle of May and I rode Mission Space (Just me....My wife wouldn't ride it) and I did get somewhat dizzy on the ride this time around. Just for the record I'm the type of person that will ride anything and nothing ever bothers me. I rode it last year twice and was perfectly fine but this year it seemed like the screen in front of me was blurry which through me off to the point where I couldn't wait until it was over. It really is a fantastic ride and probably the closest thing to public space travel simulation that exists to this point. Disney needs to enforce (And actually "enforce" them) much stricter guidelines to board the ride so a tradedy like this doesn't happen again. Every ride in the complex has a warning sign before you board and everybody just overlooks them.....The one thing to keep in mind with Mission Space is this.......It's the only thrill ride in all of Orlando (Possibly anywhere) that has barf bags on it and there's a reason for this. Do not ride it if you have any type of health problems or motion sickness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom