Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Rob562

I don't think it can't be fixed, just that Disney has given up on keeping it going. The whole thing is supported and turned by its center axis. That's a lot of weight to support and rotate. I could see how something more like a ferris wheel with the motor at the bottom was nixed over seeing tire marks along the side. This huge thing "floating" is definitely the more impressive sight.

Are you sure about that? Looking at the structure and installation I've always assumed the drum was sitting on rollers on either side of where it's sunken into the floor. Makes the support structure and overall mechanics much simpler.

This is the best photo I can find online of "drum rotating on rollers" to illustrate what I mean:
portatile%202.jpg

I believe the drums of many clothes dryers are supported in the same way.

-Rob

PREMiERdrum

Are you sure about that? Looking at the structure and installation I've always assumed the drum was sitting on rollers on either side of where it's sunken into the floor. Makes the support structure and overall mechanics much simpler.

This is the best photo I can find online of "drum rotating on rollers" to illustrate what I mean:
portatile%202.jpg

-Rob

I thought this was the case as well... I believe that the problem with the wheel may be in the hub bearings losing their integrity because of the depth of the wheel and its cantilevered support system.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought this was the case as well... I believe that the problem with the wheel may be in the hub bearings losing their integrity because of the depth of the wheel and its cantilevered support system.
One would think an innovative company like Disney could afford to design maintainability into their attractions... and if not, should be able to fabricate or find someone to design and build whatever they need to get their bearings. On multiple levels... ;)

sedati

I hope they can get the zero-g effect back. My understanding was that by angling the capsule a certain way and rotating backwards you were given a certain amount of sustained airtime. I believe this was cut do to people becoming nauseous (even more-so)

mickhyperion

portatile%202.jpg

-Rob
Looks like Disney should have gotten Maytag or Whirlpool to engineer this for them. Maybe it would have lasted.

Figment Newton

Got that right... It used to be amazing - now it's just garish.

It still has a "good side" even if it is mostly obscured these days.

I wonder why they don't just remove the scaffolding outside Test Track. It is not necessary to theme of TT as far as I know and actually takes away from sleek and futuristic look it seems they are going for otherwise. Keep the small sign with the blue car that flows well with the sleek architecture of the building and take down the rest. The small sign even matches the somewhat metallic blue that building has, but the banner and "stage"-like stuff does not.

Last edited:

HMF

I wonder why they don't just remove the scaffolding outside Test Track. It is not necessary to theme of TT as far as I know and actually takes away from sleek and futuristic look it seems they are going for otherwise. Keep the small sign with the blue car that flows well with the sleek architecture of the building and take down the rest. The small sign even matchesthe somewhat metallic blue that building has, but the banner and "stage"-like stuff does not.
That was my only real complaint about the new Test Track. I have no clue why they felt they still needed that canopy.

DisLemur

Probably a dumb thought, but what if the potential Guardians attraction is taking over mission space instead of Universe of Energy. Since Mission Breakout has been such a big hit , maybe they wanted to get it in quicker without having to gut, tear down or break ground on a new show building. Like I said probably unlikely.

lazyboy97o

Probably a dumb thought, but what if the potential Guardians attraction is taking over mission space instead of Universe of Energy. Since Mission Breakout has been such a big hit , maybe they wanted to get it in quicker without having to gut, tear down or break ground on a new show building. Like I said probably unlikely.
Mission: SPACE is staying Mission: SPACE.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

We have insiders who know a lot of stuff and they're in agreement it will still be Mission Space.

Besides, it is highly unlikely in the announced refurb time, that a massive retheming can take place.

And double besides, it is very highly unlikely that a major retheme would ever be made into a surprise by Disney.

*Q*

I've been trying to follow what this update will entail the best I can, but do I understand correctly that only the Green side is getting a new ridefilm? And what day does the attraction reopen from refurbishment?

As I understand it we can go anywhere except Europa. All the worlds are ours except Europa- we can attempt no landing there.

(points to anyone who gets this reference)

That's not good....it's hot enough in Florida without Jupiter becoming a mini sun!

Bzzzz. So close, but it was the sequel... 2010: The Year We Make Contact
All this talk is making me want a Space Odyssey overlay on Mission: SPACE. I particularly enjoy the thought of how much the average guest would be freaked out by a Beyond the Infinite sequence.

jaxonp

Missions Space Zero G effect never worked IMO... and yes I was there for the soft open behind the walls in the very beginning. The intensity was more and I found it to be a far better ride but even so, it's still out of date, in many ways. I hope they update the screens and have some alternating missions etc... It is MISSION SPACE after all. We can go more places besides Mars, no?

Goofyernmost

Our Maytag is 8 years old and still swishing and swashing like the day we got it. (knock on formica)
The Kenmore that I just sold was 20 years old along with the matching dryer. It was still working like new and had never been repaired nor had the dryer. I had the opportunity to buy an almost new set (washer and dryer) Maytag very cheaply because the person was moving away and didn't want to bring them along. The way that washer loudly clunks when changing cycles it tell me that it isn't going to have anywhere near that life span.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Our Maytag is 8 years old and still swishing and swashing like the day we got it. (knock on formica)

The Kenmore that I just sold was 20 years old along with the matching dryer. It was still working like new and had never been repaired nor had the dryer. I had the opportunity to buy an almost new set (washer and dryer) Maytag very cheaply because the person was moving away and didn't want to bring them along. The way that washer loudly clunks when changing cycles it tell me that it isn't going to have anywhere near that life span.

The old Kenmore and Maytag machines were the best. But I wouldn't purchase either brand now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Missions Space Zero G effect never worked IMO... and yes I was there for the soft open behind the walls in the very beginning. The intensity was more and I found it to be a far better ride but even so, it's still out of date, in many ways. I hope they update the screens and have some alternating missions etc... It is MISSION SPACE after all. We can go more places besides Mars, no?

Like planet Ego... Your training officer may be Green, have Antennae or be a Raccoon....

Or perhaps piloting a probe into the Gas Giant Yavjn...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom