Mission:Space update (confirmed)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Comparing the cost of a buffet meal to plane lessons is an extreme example of 'apples to orange's'. I think a more fair comparison would be a 120 minute $20.00 IMAX movie, or $100.00 12 hour Magic Kingdom ticket?

Not when the local FBO is charging 65 bucks an hour for instruction and Boma is whacking you for 50+ bucks per person during peak season. One merely adds to your waistline one is a skill you will have for a lifetime.

The value proposition was much clearer when Boma was in the 20's expensive for a buffet but worth it at 50+ not so much

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't think it can't be fixed, just that Disney has given up on keeping it going. The whole thing is supported and turn by its center axis. That's a lot of weight to support and rotate. I could see how something more like a ferris wheel with the motor at the bottom was nixed over seeing tire marks along the side. This huge thing "floating" is definitely the more impressive sight.

Just another manifestation of 'Anything is good enough for the Tourists' attitude so prevalent these days at WDW.

That lunar rover in the queue, it's a REAL lunar rover used in training on loan from NASA, Shows the decline at WDW because at one time Disney cared enough to have a functioning gravity wheel and a genuine Lunar Rover in the queue.

As a Young teen EPCOT was an inspiration to me and at least partially responsible for me becoming an engineer. Mainly because its engineers who BUILD the things the rest of society uses.

Kman101

Just putting it out there but I went to Disney last month and had some of the best times I've ever had in my life, just to balance the doom and gloom about the place.

Any hints mission space is moving away from the training aspect and more an immersive 'real' mission?

A lot of updates need to be done but I still really enjoy the parks. They aren't quite as bad as made out to be. I had to LOL when a poster on the Disneyland forums said "they're beat up". Um, no, they aren't. The upkeep isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

tirian

Just putting it out there but I went to Disney last month and had some of the best times I've ever had in my life, just to balance the doom and gloom about the place.

Any hints mission space is moving away from the training aspect and more an immersive 'real' mission?

A lot of updates need to be done but I still really enjoy the parks. They aren't quite as bad as made out to be. I had to LOL when a poster on the Disneyland forums said "they're beat up". Um, no, they aren't. The upkeep isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

The Florida parks are now considerably better maintained than they were for the last 10 years.

xstech25

Just another manifestation of 'Anything is good enough for the Tourists' attitude so prevalent these days at WDW.

That lunar rover in the queue, it's a REAL lunar rover used in training on loan from NASA, Shows the decline at WDW because at one time Disney cared enough to have a functioning gravity wheel and a genuine Lunar Rover in the queue.

As a Young teen EPCOT was an inspiration to me and at least partially responsible for me becoming an engineer. Mainly because its engineers who BUILD the things the rest of society uses.
The lunar rover was on loan from the smithsonian when the ride was new, and the one currently in the queue is a replica. I've seen the real one in both Mission Space's line and at the smithsonian which was pretty neat.

Last edited:

xstech25

It used to be that the Disney Company's biggest asset was its creativity. Now it seems its biggest asset is marketing itself as a brand, and you've made yourself living proof of that.
Yea but in Disney's defense the company has more IP now than ever, is way more successful now than ever, and the strategy is clearly working. The point the guy was trying to make was that the branded products are what people want, you can't argue that they are raking in huge cash. You can't fault a company for doing what the public is rewarding them for and what works. It's easier to mass market big new rides that are tied to popular IP and it feeds revenues across the whole company - just common sense.

People that say Bob Iger is stupid/doesn't care about creativity/doesn't care about the parks are completely delusional. He's a CEO, his job is to make money. I think the Marvel acquisition was one of the most successful in the history of entertainment and probably one of the most underrated acquisitions of all time. I was reading an article the other day that said since Disney bought Marvel, literally every Marvel movie (that was produced by Disney Marvel/not a licensing agreement) has opened at #1 at the box office. That acquisition was in 2009 and it's now 2017...that's unbelievable, unprecedented success. Back when Iger became CEO Disney had 1 major studio and even that was struggling, now Disney literally owns the 4 most successful movie studios in the business (Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm) and they are all pumping out hit after hit. They have no reason not to mine that gold and I say god bless em.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney literally owns the 4 most successful movie studios in the business (Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm) and they are all pumping out hit after hit.

5 including Disney Pictures which is their live-action division which includes: Alice in Wonderland; the Pirates Franchise; Into the Woods; Maleficent; Cinderella; The Jungle Book; and, Beauty and the Beast.

Daveeeeed

Sadly, "balance" seems to be a lost concept these days.
Animal Kingdom thankfully still is essentially an ip free park. It's really the only Disney park in the world like that (though Tokyo Disney SEA in basically every instance uses IPs appropriately, and to improve the park. It's not really forced like EPCOT is/will become.

Dinosaur while technically is a tie-in it is not remotely related to the movie Dinosaur.

Pandora as well to a lesser extent, but the land feels more like Jules Verne being an IP. It's a better type of IP that you basically can conclude to be original.

So that leaves It's Tough to Be a Bug:eek:

I just hope in the future if they do add stuff like The Jungle Book they also find ways to balance it out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And also Touchstone, which has seen some very profitable smaller budget titles.

Touchstone stopped being a film production banner (it was never a separate studio) a while ago and wound up just as a distributor, and then only for Dreamworks films. And even that deal has ended. Last film it distributed was 2016 and the next won't be until 2019.

jmuboy

So are the updates to Mission: SPACE coming in this refurbishment or is this one of those, "prefurbishments"?

I think this is part of the bigger Epcot update....? It was just the easiest (so first) piece to roll out. But there are smarter insiders on here who can confirm my assumptions.

disney1023

I think that Disney would completely announce all of the updates for M:S as a part of the Epcot overhaul at D23 with maybe some concept art maybe? I think it would be advertised as a sort of preview type deal.
But what do I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom