Mission:Space update (confirmed)

sedati

... there is no such thing as "spinning backwards". The centrifuge spinning the opposite direction would still produce the same forces.

Yes, but the passengers are seated and facing a certain direction. A car accelerating in drive produces the same force as a car accelerating in reverse, but the driver will experience it very differently. It's a sensation of push vs pull.

cspencer96

Yes, but the passengers are seated and facing a certain direction. A car accelerating in drive produces the same force as a car accelerating in reverse, but the driver will experience it very differently. It's a sensation of push vs pull.
That doesn't work with centrifugal force. Spinning clockwise or counterclockwise, people will feel the same thing. Linear forces are different, because you have a negative and positive direction.

sedati

That doesn't work with centrifugal force. Spinning clockwise or counterclockwise, people will feel the same thing. Linear forces are different, because you have a negative and positive direction.
Thank you, yes. I'm sorry, I think I've been confusing spin with rotation (the direction the capsule itself is turned.) I don't want to put any more bad science out there so I'll say no more unless I can find a concrete link instead of dated memory.

CaptainAmerica

The passengers aren't facing "forward" along the perimeter of the circle, they're sitting with their backs along the outside of the circle looking in. The spin is right/left from the riders' perspective, not front/back.

sedati

The passengers aren't facing "forward" along the perimeter of the circle, they're sitting with their backs along the outside of the circle looking in. The spin is right/left from the riders' perspective, not front/back.
And if the capsule was rotated around so you were facing out, not in? (Edit: While ETC does now produce a gyroscopic capsule with full movement, I don't believe the Epcot version has the full range of movement.)

Last edited:

180º

And if the capsule was rotated around (which the specs seem to allow for- 360 degree planetary movement) so you were facing out, not in?
Someone who knows better please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is no mechanism in place for that axis of rotation. Even if you re-affixed the capsules to face outward, about half of the ride makes use of the centrifuge to simulate forward motion, which would be lost if the capsules didn't face the center.

GCTales

325px-Yaw_Axis_Corrected.svg.png

Ok... Imagine the nose of the above airplane pointing towards the center of the circle... With the riders in a capsule sitting in the tail, facing center.

the below is all from memory, so I may have exact numbers off.

IIRC, the capsules only have motion in pitch and roll, no yaw. Planetary motion is the motion of the arms holding the capsules around the center axis.

I believe the capsules had about 15 degrees forward pitch and something like 30 degrees backward pitch. I want to say roll was a smaller range, but don't remember the details.

As noted, the simulated zero G would be created Pitching forward and slowing planetary rotation sub threshold level.. So regular gravity pulls you forward.... Doing this immediately after the higher g of the launch simulation for a short period will create that effect briefly, as the capsules can't rotate 360degrees like the full simulator the company builds and uses for launch training.

Hope this helps.

GCTales

Why didn't Disney just build a NASA grade centrifuge.....i want the real deal. I want to know the ride was awesome because I blacked out for 7 seconds.

Because the nasa / military grade simulators are designed around a single occupant. Through put is not a consideration. They are designed with the rider facing along the path of travel and have 360 degree movement in pitch and roll. High g onset (rapid acceleration and deceleration) to simulate military aircraft..

You want to see what it looks like, click on the link I posted.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If it helps to visualize it, I believe that the capsules can only tilt about 20 - 30 degrees in any direction.
From the company's website (linked above)...

eMotion Theatre Specs
  • 40 seat multi-arm human centrifuges
    Electric
    3 DOF
    360° planetary motion
    +45, -55° pitch
    ±25° roll
    2.5 sustained G’s max
    4 multi-arm centrifuge units
    10 arms per unit
    4 guests per arm gondola

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom