Mission:Space update (confirmed)

jaxonp

The ride would be more popular if the over the top obnoxious warnings didn't make it sound like you were going to die. Also, as discussed, it's way out of date and the story line is terrible.

Casper Gutman

The ride would be more popular if the over the top obnoxious warnings didn't make it sound like you were going to die. Also, as discussed, it's way out of date and the story line is terrible.

It's pretty much unsalvagable. In all of WDW, there are only two rides I think need to be bulldozed completely - Autopia and M:S.

*Flynnderella*

Agreed completely. I don't mind 180+10 for dining but they need to at least have park hours and nighttime shows nailed down at that point.

I 100% agree that they need they park hours etc released 180 days before. We're heading there in May & they have just released the hours for while we're there and it completely messes up our plans with regards to ADR's and in turn which parks we want to be in on which days. Personally I still think 180 days is too far out to be making dining reservations but if you don't do it you're limited to what you can have which is such a shame! * rant over* I STILL LOVE YOU DISNEY WORLD! :inlove:

rushtest4echo

The warnings satisfy lawyers, and help mitigate liability concerns. But their true purpose is to avoid a long line at GR from angry guests who feel queasy/sick and weren't warned.

For how many parents were in MK's guest relations screaming at them over how Alien Encounter absolutely traumatized their kids (not reading the signage of course), you knew Disney would go overboard with warnings on a ride like Mission: Space. I don't think that those signs turn people away though, I think it just directs them to Green team more often. The ride has a reputation aside from the signs, and many people just say "oh my friend/family member said it makes people sick and it kills people and it's unsafe" and Disney's not going to recover from that negative image even if the warning signage wasn't there.

Casper Gutman

I'll see your Mission:Space bulldozer and raise you a Dinoland bulldozer. ;)

Hey hey hey... I like Dinoland!! Stick a cheesy dark ride in there and I'll LOVE Dinoland (yes, I'd EXPAND the hated blot)! I make no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of WDW's direction over the last couple decades, but I've never been on board with the hatred of Dinoland. It's thematically consistent with the land (gives the whole place a fun storyline), cute, self-referential, witty, unique. It's certainly not my favorite section of AK but its not my least favorite either.

Ralphlaw

Different scenarios ala Star Tours would be wonderful. People would ride it more than once, thus making it more popular.

The problem has always been that it just isn't overly-fun. The orange version has it's thrilling moments, and even the green version puts forth the decent story line. The problem is that most thrill rides have a sense of fun about them, and MS does not. Yeah, it's hard to insert humor into this, but the best rides can be thrilling AND scream-inducing AND fun (usually in a humorous way). MS lacks humor. You sort of get a sense of accomplishment, but not of good raw fun. Perhaps new scenarios could introduce that missing element.

rushtest4echo

Hey hey hey... I like Dinoland!! Stick a cheesy dark ride in there and I'll LOVE Dinoland (yes, I'd EXPAND the hated blot)! I make no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of WDW's direction over the last couple decades, but I've never been on board with the hatred of Dinoland. It's thematically consistent with the land (gives the whole place a fun storyline), cute, self-referential, witty, unique. It's certainly not my favorite section of AK but its not my least favorite either.

Bulldoze it or make it Australia/South America. We can have differing opinions on many things but I can't bring myself to tolerate kind words towards Dinoland. Every man has his limits, and kind words for Dinoland just crosses mine. :devilish:

Casper Gutman

Bulldoze it or make it Australia/South America. We can have differing opinions on many things but I can't bring myself to tolerate kind words towards Dinoland. Every man has his limits, and kind words for Dinoland just crosses mine. :devilish:

There's room for Australia/ South America without bulldozin' anything.

But let's get REALLY incendiary - if you added a dark ride to Dinoland, I'd take it over Pandora (and I'm almost serious!)

Goob

I'll hold judgement of Pandora until I actually visit it. I'm hoping they are purposely showing us only the parts they want us to see with these quick videos that they've put out. But when you have Joe Rohde AND James Cameron creating something, well, that's a recipe for greatness.

GCTales

Uhm, that's the case nearly everything Disney builds.

Capacity is around 1400 which is low for a major attraction. In fact it's one of the lowest capacity "big budget" rides that Disney's ever done. However, it was also one of the most expensive attractions Disney's done and asking them to add another 2 or 4 platforms when designing the ride doesn't seem feasible. It's all largely moot since the ride isn't overly popular anyway.

I should have been more specific... early on in the process, during the concept testing, Disney had a specific throughput threshold (xxx people per hour per device) that they specifically wanted to achieve (Unfortunately, I don't remember what the exact number was) and put together a capsule mock up to test and see what they could achieve... It met that through put threshold.. IIRC, that also helped make the final decision on the number of units to be installed.

Yes, it is a lower capacity than many other attractions... But from what I remember at the time (and I could be wrong - this is my memory) - I think that the fact that it would be lower capacity than many other e-ticket attractions was acceptable trade off for what they believed was the positives of device selection / overall ride potential...

Ralphlaw

Dinoland is not my favorite area either, but small kids like it a lot. That is an important demographic that these Boards tend to ignore. I don't think all of Disney needs to target rabid adult fans like us who probably should be spending our time somewhere other than these boards (me included).

rushtest4echo

Dinoland is not my favorite area either, but small kids like it a lot. That is an important demographic that these Boards tend to ignore. I don't think all of Disney needs to target rabid adult fans like us who probably should be spending our time somewhere other than these boards (me included).

I'm all for kid's areas. But Chester and Hesters is better suited for a Six Flags. There are a ton of examples of well-done kids areas that forum members might take issue with but at least they're mostly well done and to Disney's usual standard. The Dumbo/Circus are isn't a place I spend much time at, but for a 6 year old that place is awesome. Sure, plenty of people wanted more from it, and they think the big-top stuff is an eyesore, but it's still a well done area. Same goes for something like Toy Story Land at Hong Kong Disneyland. Not my favorite land by a wide margin, and I thought I'd hate it, but it ended up being a lot better than I thought when I visited. Flik's Fun Fair is another example. The Chew chew train is a bad joke for adults but 3 year olds seem to love it. The rest of Fliks is actually pretty well themed for being a carny area. I welcome (well done) kids areas stocked with carny rides that are appropriately themed. I just don't think that label applies to Dinorama.

Let's also not forget the best themed kids areas on earth, those are simply called Fantasyland. ;)

I don't find cracked pavement with parking stripes, food carts, a portable largely unthemed spinning coaster and a triceratop spinner that blares 80's hits throughout the land to be "good theming". The dig area, restaurantosaurus and dinosaur are all passable, in fact I'd say they could belong in AK, but Chester and Hesters has got to go. It's certainly authentically tacky, in the way that Paradise Pier 1.0 used to be. It's the kind of stuff that Walt specifically said he never wanted to see in his parks (and people here probably know I'm not a "what Walt wanted" type of guy, but this is a specific example of him saying DON'T DO THIS IN MY PARK).

They realized that error with Paradise Pier, and I hope the same happens at Dinorama at some point. Of course, I'd rather them just choose a more cohesive and subtle theme. The rest of the park is "quiet" and "refined", with natural and neutral color schemes. Whereas Dinorama is purposely intended to be a garish, loud eyesore. Kind of an Imagineering middle finger to the concept of the rest of the park.

Look at me complaining about garish tacky eyesores that don't belong and are an affront to the parks message, I'm no better than the EPCOT Center faithful now. Just burn all of WDW to the ground I guess. :D

Last edited:

Kamikaze

I 100% agree that they need they park hours etc released 180 days before. We're heading there in May & they have just released the hours for while we're there and it completely messes up our plans with regards to ADR's and in turn which parks we want to be in on which days. Personally I still think 180 days is too far out to be making dining reservations but if you don't do it you're limited to what you can have which is such a shame! * rant over* I STILL LOVE YOU DISNEY WORLD! :inlove:

They should have *minimum* hours posted at that time. If they extend them, no one is going to complain the parks are open longer.

HMF

Dinoland is not my favorite area either, but small kids like it a lot. That is an important demographic that these Boards tend to ignore..

"Disneyland really began when my two daughters were very young. Saturday was always Daddy's Day and I would take them to the merry-go-round, and sit on a bench eating peanuts while they rode. And sitting there alone, I felt there should be something built, some kind of family park where parents and children could have fun together".-Walt Disney

UpAllNight

Mission Space gets unfair stick because of pandemonium over the deaths that occurred, nostalgia of what it replaced, and what the ride could have been.

It's still a unique, solid, immersive...but dated attraction...and the type of thing fans should be encouraging Disney to do more of...offer unique experiences.

I'm hopeful the refurb will help out some of the dated issues. There's some work to be done on the queue & storyline too.

Ralphlaw

I'm all for kid's areas. But Chester and Hesters is better suited for a Six Flags. There are a ton of examples of well-done kids areas that forum members might take issue with but at least they're mostly well done and to Disney's usual standard. The Dumbo/Circus are isn't a place I spend much time at, but for a 6 year old that place is awesome. Sure, plenty of people wanted more from it, and they think the big-top stuff is an eyesore, but it's still a well done area. Same goes for something like Toy Story Land at Hong Kong Disneyland. Not my favorite land by a wide margin, and I thought I'd hate it, but it ended up being a lot better than I thought when I visited. Flik's Fun Fair is another example. The Chew chew train is a bad joke for adults but 3 year olds seem to love it. The rest of Fliks is actually pretty well themed for being a carny area. I welcome (well done) kids areas stocked with carny rides that are appropriately themed. I just don't think that label applies to Dinorama.

Let's also not forget the best themed kids areas on earth, those are simply called Fantasyland. ;)

I don't find cracked pavement with parking stripes, food carts, a portable largely unthemed spinning coaster and a triceratop spinner that blares 80's hits throughout the land to be "good theming". The dig area, restaurantosaurus and dinosaur are all passable, in fact I'd say they could belong in AK, but Chester and Hesters has got to go. It's certainly authentically tacky, in the way that Paradise Pier 1.0 used to be. It's the kind of stuff that Walt specifically said he never wanted to see in his parks (and people here probably know I'm not a "what Walt wanted" type of guy, but this is a specific example of him saying DON'T DO THIS IN MY PARK).

They realized that error with Paradise Pier, and I hope the same happens at Dinorama at some point. Of course, I'd rather them just choose a more cohesive and subtle theme. The rest of the park is "quiet" and "refined", with natural and neutral color schemes. Whereas Dinorama is purposely intended to be a garish, loud eyesore. Kind of an Imagineering middle finger to the concept of the rest of the park.

Look at me complaining about garish tacky eyesores that don't belong and are an affront to the parks message, I'm no better than the EPCOT Center faithful now. Just burn all of WDW to the ground I guess. :D

As I recall, Dinoland was supposed to remind us of an old-fashioned Carnival, but I think you're right that it comes off as tacky and garish instead. Swing and miss. Meanwhile, the smaller kids seem to like it. Yeah, the theming is a soar thumb.

Yet let's take a step back and realize how quickly AK was thrown together. At least WDW was opening a new park every decade, on average, back then. No new park has been built in 20 years, and I think Disney is so wrapt up in making things as polished and perfect as possible that nothing happens quickly anymore other than refits. New Frozen theme for Maelstrom, 3 obnoxious birds in Mexico, new film for Soarin'. Pandora is taking how long to get going? DL was built from scratch in half that time. I would have to believe that Dinoland was the victim of less consideration and thought than any of us would like. As an idea, it doesn't really work. As a finished product, it doesn't blend. Yeah, the kids like it, but they could have liked it just as much if they had thought the attraction through a bit better. Obviously far more thought was put into the Tree of Life and Kilmanjaro. Dinoland at the time seems to have been a small kid filler after thought.

Thus, I think I agree with you.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
As I recall, Dinoland was supposed to remind us of an old-fashioned Carnival, but I think you're right that it comes off as tacky and garish instead. Swing and miss. Meanwhile, the smaller kids seem to like it. Yeah, the theming is a soar thumb.

Yet let's take a step back and realize how quickly AK was thrown together. At least WDW was opening a new park every decade, on average, back then. No new park has been built in 20 years, and I think Disney is so wrapt up in making things as polished and perfect as possible that nothing happens quickly anymore other than refits. New Frozen theme for Maelstrom, 3 obnoxious birds in Mexico, new film for Soarin'. Pandora is taking how long to get going? DL was built from scratch in half that time. I would have to believe that Dinoland was the victim of less consideration and thought than any of us would like. As an idea, it doesn't really work. As a finished product, it doesn't blend. Yeah, the kids like it, but they could have liked it just as much if they had thought the attraction through a bit better. Obviously far more thought was put into the Tree of Life and Kilmanjaro. Dinoland at the time seems to have been a small kid filler after thought.

Thus, I think I agree with you.

I don't think I've ever been a pixie dust defender of TWDC in any way, but they are moving in the right direction. CAPEX spending has almost grown to pre 9/11 levels, 1 large expansion just finished and 2 more are on the way, and things are moving in the right direction. That does not by any means let them off the hook for a decade of mismanagement, but when you hit rock bottom the only place to go is up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom