Mission:Space update (confirmed)

rnese

That type of environment may reappear as an immersive space elsewhere sometime in the future.
enhanced-buzz-8016-1426277582-24.jpg

rocketraccoon

I don't disagree with any of that, of course (although Nemo is very low on the list - it's fine, and for Epcot right now fine is enough.) I'd also add Wonders of Life and even (at the very bottom of the list) add Test Track, which remains far too boring for a thrill ride. M:S is still right at the top, however.
Wonders of Life under Mission: Space? Wonders hasn't held anything notable since the whole edutainment side of things got closed off in 2007. It has been slowly falling into a sad state since then and really, really needs something to revitalize it. The quasi-convention center feel it has going for it now really isn't anything to write home about.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Just think of how amazing the pavilion could be with a tie in/sponsorship with SpaceX. (Which by the way, BIG congrats to all involved in the successful launch and landing of a re-used booster today!!!)

Musk wouldn't even notice the $$$ that would need to be dropped, and you could really expand the experience.

Well....I can dream at least.

HMF

In my view Mission Space was a victim of circumstance. It was a poor execution of a good concept add to that the fact it replaced Horizons and killed people plus the lack of a real post-show and you have a perfect storm of circumstances that fairly or not have defined the ride.

V_L_Raptor

I've forgotten, but just how long was M:S open with both centrifuges before the dreadful incident and the changeover to orange/green? It wasn't a year, was it?

Casper Gutman

In my view Mission Space was a victim of circumstance. It was a poor execution of a good concept add to that the fact it replaced Horizons and killed people plus the lack of a real post-show and you have a perfect storm of circumstances that fairly or not have defined the ride.

Man, you kinda just slipped "killed people" in there! (I actually don't feel it's fair to blame M:S much for that)

And I really question the "good concept" idea. At some point in development, someone should have realized the actual guest experience would be to be crammed into a tiny module in which a small screen (with bad graphics, though that could be fixed) takes up most of their field of sight. Despite the sensations brought into play, which are both unpleasant and underwhelming, the actual visual and spatial experience of the ride is so limited, monotone, and non-epic. I question whether it can ever be made interesting given those constraints.

lazyboy97o

To say Mission: SPACE killed people implies a level of fault that is not there. The little boy's heart was incredibly weak, so much that any number of much tamer, everyday experiences could have killed him. The woman suffered stroke related to her hypertension.

azox

Would this type of "immersive space" reappear in Epcot or elsewhere?

Sounds like what they did in space mountain. Though, its seems each time I go there, the ceiling projections for the space station are badly faded and you can barely see any of it. I like the idea they had, just wish it functioned more often.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not to split a hair or two, but those who died after riding were found to have known or unknown health issues specifically called out in the ride warning signage.

michmousefan

Mission: Space isn't a ride that I would enjoy, regardless of the fact that it replaced Horizons. I'm not a fan of any type of attraction that provides barf bags for when your ride is over. So for those of us who REALLY loved Horizons AND have no desire to ride Mission: Space, it's just a cut with salt in the wound for extra measure. Horizons, to many of us, is just as great an attraction as the Haunted Mansion. So for those who don't understand where we Horizons fans are coming from, think of it like this...it would be the equivalent of Disney knocking the Haunted Mansion completely down and replacing it with an attraction where you lay in a coffin and spin around for a few minutes. It's replacing amazing attractions (Horizons, Mansion), with something way less amazing, but still sorta the same theme (spinning space, spinning coffins). You may even throw up...or die...and never even have to get out of the coffin :hungover:.
Very well said. While I will look forward to a freshening/revised "mission" for the attraction, I would also be just as happy if they bulldozed the whole thing and started over from scratch. It is Epcot's White Elephant... the fact that they had to add barf bags to an attraction is an open admission that WDI missed the mark (by their rather high standards) on this ride. By a longshot.

Casper Gutman

Very well said. While I will look forward to a freshening/revised "mission" for the attraction, I would also be just as happy if they bulldozed the whole thing and started over from scratch. It is Epcot's White Elephant... the fact that they had to add barf bags to an attraction is an open admission that WDI missed the mark (by their rather high standards) on this ride. By a longshot.

You know, they really could revive a version of Horizons - unlike WoM (sadly), the concept can still fit at modern WDW. A journey through alternative visions of the future - even with a few IPs sprinkled in here and there - could work.

DisneyCane

Just think of how amazing the pavilion could be with a tie in/sponsorship with SpaceX. (Which by the way, BIG congrats to all involved in the successful launch and landing of a re-used booster today!!!)

Musk wouldn't even notice the $$$ that would need to be dropped, and you could really expand the experience.

Well....I can dream at least.

Elon Musk does not have nearly the liquid assets that you would think he has. A few years ago, he was borrowing money from friends to pay normal (well, normal for him) living expenses. Much of his wealth is tied up in Tesla and SpaceX. If he sold his stock to pay for things like pavilions at Epcot, he'd lose too much control.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To say Mission: SPACE killed people implies a level of fault that is not there. The little boy's heart was incredibly weak, so much that any number of much tamer, everyday experiences could have killed him. The woman suffered stroke related to her hypertension.

Agreed.

There are people who die on Disney buses, in Disney rooms, at their home planning Disney vacations. Did Disney buses, rooms, planning kill them?

Correlation isn't causation.

lazyboy97o

Agreed.

There are people who die on Disney buses, in Disney rooms, at their home planning Disney vacations. Did Disney buses, rooms, planning kill them?

Correlation isn't causation.
Mission: SPACE definitely aggravated existing conditions, but it was not necessarily due to factors unique to the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom