Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Goofyernmost

Very well said. While I will look forward to a freshening/revised "mission" for the attraction, I would also be just as happy if they bulldozed the whole thing and started over from scratch. It is Epcot's White Elephant... the fact that they had to add barf bags to an attraction is an open admission that WDI missed the mark (by their rather high standards) on this ride. By a longshot.
"had to add barf bags" is really not all the telling. What it tells is how gullible the public can be and how easily they can talk themselves into negative results. They are there because there are a certain number of people that know they have motion sickness (inner ear problems) and will ride it anyway. Result they get sick and the barf bags prevent nastier results of it, also there are a percentage of people that can talk themselves into being sick if they think it might possibly happen. The deaths created a fear that otherwise would never had happened previous to the highly publicized deaths, it ran for quite a while without any real need and most sickness didn't even show up until they got off the ride. If that motion is the prompt why do they not have barf bags on the tea cups? That ride is the worst one in the park for motion sickness and some do get sick, but, usually not until they get off the ride.

HMF

Not to split a hair or two, but those who died after riding were found to have known or unknown health issues specifically called out in the ride warning signage.
I am aware of that and am not suggesting liability on Disney's part but the ride did in fact contribute.

Kman101

What's capacity on Mission Space? It must be pretty good (and yes, I know wait times aren't and shouldn't be a total indicator of popularity but ...) but it often doesn't seem to exceed 15-30 minutes. I usually check wait times on a daily basis (yeah, I know).

I'm sure it has it's fans but just how repeatable is it?

BEARSHOUSE4

Original Poster
Ok.... what if they replace the screen u press your face into with VR goggles! That would b awesome. Think of the possibilities!

LittleGiants'16

To say Mission: SPACE killed people implies a level of fault that is not there. The little boy's heart was incredibly weak, so much that any number of much tamer, everyday experiences could have killed him. The woman suffered stroke related to her hypertension.

Not quite that simple. You take the plaintiff as you find them. And but for Disney's negligence the plaintiff would not have died. Look up the "eggshell plaintiff" if you are curious.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm not saying Disney was negligent, but that you can craft a reasonable theory of negligence, even if there was potential contributory negligence.
All one needs to do is google "florida theme park liability" and take note of all the lawyer websites that pop up... I'm sure there are lots of theories concocted every day.

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

I think it would be nice if the interior would get a Test Track 2.0 level update (I know that's not going to happen), but it would be nice if the pavilion felt like it belonged in Epcot for once.

RobotWolf

Which should be out in July.
This is incredible news! I wouldn't even have expected to get the opportunity to get more content regarding Horizons. Of course, there's the wait. But I'll take giddy expectation over pessimism any day.

The video I'll hope for after this would be the one where Martin gets to video the entire American Adventure show from downstairs! (And the Douglas cantilever!)

GCTales

What's capacity on Mission Space? It must be pretty good (and yes, I know wait times aren't and shouldn't be a total indicator of popularity but ...) but it often doesn't seem to exceed 15-30 minutes. I usually check wait times on a daily basis (yeah, I know).

I'm sure it has it's fans but just how repeatable is it?
Disney did significant thought / capacity calculation before the final design was built... Including test modules to see how long to actually load / unload as well as times to clean up protein spill.

rushtest4echo

Disney did significant thought / capacity calculation before the final design was built... Including test modules to see how long to actually load / unload as well as times to clean up protein spill.

Uhm, that's the case nearly everything Disney builds.

Capacity is around 1400 which is low for a major attraction. In fact it's one of the lowest capacity "big budget" rides that Disney's ever done. However, it was also one of the most expensive attractions Disney's done and asking them to add another 2 or 4 platforms when designing the ride doesn't seem feasible. It's all largely moot since the ride isn't overly popular anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom