Mission:Space update (confirmed)

rushtest4echo

As to M:S - the concept may have sounded great, but it's hard to believe folks looked at the sketches and mock-ups and thought "yeah, this is a great idea."

I looked at them and thought that Disney was building one of the most expensive, technologically advanced ride systems on earth. Which is what they did. I was honestly more excited about Mission: Space than I had been about any Disney attraction in a very long time. I thought that if they pulled it off correctly, it would end up being a top 10 ride on the planet. Didn't end up that way though.

Of course, they couldn't use the ride system to its full potential because even in its WAY TONED DOWN state at opening, it was making people queasy. Keep in mind that had the ride functioned properly without making people ill, the experience would be vastly different than it ended up. The g-training that occurs the beginning of the ride was supposed to be performed with the cabins at a inclined angle which would have then rotated to a decline, which would have actually fooled your body into feeling weightless conditions for way longer than any other thrill ride has ever produced. That was supposed to be the crux of the attraction yet it either didn't work or they couldn't do it without causing even more nausea than already present on the ride.

I know tons of people don't have any issues with the ride at all, and I'd consider myself a "ride warrior" (or at least I was 15 years ago) and I had no issues riding anything 10 or 20 times in a row, even stuff like X at Magic Mountain. But Mission: Space completely wrecked me on my first ride. Of the thousands of rides I've been on at hundreds of parks (not trying to gloat, just demonstrating my familiarity with rides), Mission: Space is one of the only rides that's ever made me need to take a break afterwords. I spent the day before my first ride on Mission: Space riding Sheikra over 50 times during the pre-opening media event and felt no illness riding that thing for hours on end without a break. It doesn't happen every time, and I think I've built up a resistance now, but after my first ride on Mission: Space I was done for the day. Even now, I usually sit for a bit after riding Orange.

There are a lot of facets to Mission: Space's problems. The show building and queue (to me) are fine. Some seem to take issue with the darkness and other aspects. The preshow and build up to the ride could use some work, it all feels pretty corny. The ride itself has lots of problems, ranging from story to the movement of the ride itself. Some of that is fixable, but the ride does what it does and I don't believe that they're going to be able to make it any more thrilling other than the duration of the spinning. Maybe they can attempt the true zero-g maneuver since Green Team people don't need to be subjected to those sorts of things now. Then there's the quality of the animation, which is awful. Lets hope they can at least throw together something better than what's there now during the rehab. I'd love to see what they could do with VR, but that would induce people to look sideways and would no doubt cause vomit city!

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

I can't wait to take my son on MS for the first time this summer. It is a classic. It is one of the rides he is looking forward to the most. Just a bit annoying that I can't really use a FP to get him on. No point in wasting one if my daughter can't go on with us.

Seabasealpha1

The attraction has never entertained the number of people it was supposed to entertain.
Sometimes I think that's largely due to the reputation that has and continues to precede the attraction. The instant the word "spinning" is dropped or someone gets wind of those folks who have (God rest them) had their condition aggravated to the point of expiration, seems like its over...

For example...my wife...who only knew about the issues...spent the whole ride holding my hand and literally praying...

I was a five time veteran of the ride. And I'm a fan of the attraction (barring Horizons and taking the ride for what it is).

Ask me if I enjoyed ride number six....

RobbinsDad

It seems to me there are 2 groups of people: those who love M:S, and those who hate it. Not many things at WDW I could say that about. Usually people stay toward the middle,and enjoy all attractions. Not this one.
Then I'm the only person who's a neither. I don't think it's horrible but it's not great either. Certainly not a must-do every trip.

rushtest4echo

I did not know that it was not a popular ride. No wonder why the lines are ao short. I ride this as many times as I can before closing. One time I was around 20 times in one day. This is how I get my "gs" fix. Again, it is not as intense as I hoped. But since it killed people its probably for the better. The only other comparable ride is dodonpa in Japan that accelerates very VERY quickly. Of course, M:S is much easier and cheaper to access. Probably the closest I will get to a catapult launch l.

Just a bit of clarification, Mission Space aggravated pre-existing conditions in the same way that other thrill rides have everywhere. The ride itself wasn't at fault other than applying forces that probably contributed to the fatal condition that already existed.

Sidebar on Dodonpa and your need to go to Japan to get a ride like that:

Few seem to know about this, but there was a "mini dodonpa" literally right down the street from WDW at Old Town/Fun Spot called G Force dragsters. It accelerated from 0-100 mph in under two seconds. Built by S&S, same as Dodonpa. It's gone now, in fact it's been gone for almost a decade. But for a time, that was America's fastest accelerating ride and it really did give dodonpa a run for its money. If you sat in the "family" dragster that was added toward the end of G Forces life, you were exposed to the wind just like Dodonpa, and like Dodonpa your face pretty much melted during launch. Of course, it didn't have the spine severing top hat that produced so much airtime that it should be illegal like Dodonpa had. ;) I think I still have permanent bruises on my thighs from my one and only ride on Dodonpa. But the acceleration on G force was very similar, much faster than Hypersonic XLC which was also nuts.

I'm waiting to see just how tall the loop is going to end up being on Dodonpa's retrofit. Looks like it could easily be the worlds tallest inversion.

Did you show up for the Chicken Ride?

Luckily that was after the news media (which I was a part of) had their day. ;) Though I (and other media people) had to do something similarly stupid when Scream! opened at Magic Mountain that involved face paint.

Goofyernmost

You know there's an awful lot more to it than that.
Yes, but, regardless it was a huge contributing factor and to even think that in its later years it was still carrying its weight is an example of Alternate Fact.
I did not know that it was not a popular ride. No wonder why the lines are ao short. I ride this as many times as I can before closing. One time I was around 20 times in one day. This is how I get my "gs" fix. Again, it is not as intense as I hoped. But since it killed people its probably for the better. The only other comparable ride is dodonpa in Japan that accelerates very VERY quickly. Of course, M:S is much easier and cheaper to access. Probably the closest I will get to a catapult launch l.
It isn't. It has never hit the targets or the THRC that were expected by Eisner. Even after Green was shoehorned in later.

His idea of it being so successful it would be cloned to DLP and then DL died pretty early on.
To me M:S was a victim of really bad luck and Disney's tendency to over warn people of potential hazards. There were signs everywhere that people with certain problems should not ride, but, like all the rest of the signs found throughout the parks, it was perceived as not as serious as they made it out to be. (I was going to say over kill, but, that didn't seem sensitive enough.) Having two incidents happen so close together and so early on pretty much put an end to any popularity that it might have had. Along with any serious promotion that Disney did for it.

I love simulators, but, it took me about four years to actually decide that I would ride it. I remember sitting out front of it, gnawing on a Turkey Leg, and thinking... "What is the matter with you? You have never had a reaction to motion sickness in your life and to your knowledge you don't have any other physical problems that you are aware of so stop being a baby and get your butt on it." I did and I loved it and have been to it every visit since then and still love it. It was intense enough to cause a reaction to two people that had a preexisting condition. They might or might not have been aware of those conditions. So the warnings were very legit, but, many people that could have ridden it, didn't because they were afraid. Maybe it was to much of a thrill ride? As I have gotten older I have become more and more aware of the limitations of an aging body and, thankfully, there is the Green side which I find to be just as much fun as the Orange, just less risky.

If you think about it, if they hadn't gotten rid of Horizons, there would be two attractions with just marginal ridership. Plus HP was going to pay the bills, at least for a while, anybody would have made the same decision. Please don't tell me that Walt would have. If Walt had been alive and still in charge he would have replaced it with a popular one long before it actually got leveled. Not to mention that EPCOT wouldn't have looked anything like we got.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, but, regardless it was a huge contributing factor and to even think that in its later years it was still carrying its weight is an example of Alternate Fact..
Again, you can't skirt the truth.

TWDC allowed Horizons to rot. But I'd love to see the ridership figures if you have them. The park as whole had declining ridership. Horizons was a huge people eater. It was always designed to be a near ride on.

Just pointing out there was a complex web of reasons what happened did happen. Saying "it wasn't popular" is very naive.

rushtest4echo

TWDC allowed Horizons to rot. But I'd love to see the ridership figures if you have them. The park as whole had declining ridership. Horizons was a huge people eater. It was always designed to be a near ride on.

Just pointing out there was a complex web of reasons what happened did happen. Saying "it wasn't popular" is very naive.

Not that I'm trying to dispute the official EPCOT Center Lamenter (a title I apply with respect and good will :) ), but on my few visits to EPCOT in the 90's, I tend to remember waiting quite a bit to get on Journey, Spaceship Earth, Body Wars, and World of Motion but walking right on to Horizons. (I have home VHS's of it somewhere that I really need to dig up and digitize!) I know they're all different capacities and have different crowd flow patterns and such, but I do tend to remember Horizons always being referred to even by fans as a ghost town even when the other areas of the park were bustling.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not that I'm trying to dispute the official EPCOT Center Lamenter (a title I apply with respect and good will :) ), but on my few visits to EPCOT in the 90's, I tend to remember waiting quite a bit to get on Journey, Spaceship Earth, Body Wars, and World of Motion but walking right on to Horizons. (I have home VHS's of it somewhere that I really need to dig up and digitize!) I know they're all different capacities and have different crowd flow patterns and such, but I do tend to remember Horizons always being referred to even by fans as a ghost town even when the other areas of the park were bustling.
Fair doos. But I would never take a handful of visits (even my own) to be inductive of anything.

But I will say I queued for Horizons in 90 and 93 in the exterior corral.

Goofyernmost

I will agree, none of them, SSE, Imagination, Horizons, WoM or any other thing in the park were as popular because, the park wasn't as popular. I have expressed my opinions on why that happened, but, to say that it was a draw to anyone other then those die hard fans from EPCOT Ctr. is even more naive. The park was not drawing them in. The two that were essentially torn down and completely refaced were due to sponsor involvement. The change for Horizons to M:S, was due to HP sponsorship. The alteration from WoM to Test track was due to GM wanting a change to reflect a more current way to promote their product. Imagination didn't get that much support from a dying Kodak and we ended up with the abomination that we have today. SSE had minor changes throughout the years but always maintained it's story line, but, even then in the early days both sides of the queue were always filled, now only at limited times during the day.

So by default, there was not the attraction draw along with the overall educational theme that, in my opinion, resulted in the end of the original Epcot. But, that doesn't change the fact that what was offered was actually not being rushed to as must sees. Those of us that loved the stuff, still went and whatever popularity they had was because of us. It is naive to think that it would survive at all if that image was not at least modified a little. The only thing keeping the place alive now would be the Food, Wine and Flower Festivals. Those didn't exist in the beginning either. Popularity is measured by many things. When they were new and people were curious, those massive people eater attractions were filling those massive queues and spilling them out the door. Comparatively, there isn't even a comparison. Thinking that there is could be considered wearing blinders. There are not enough of us to have maintained Epcot, Future World or World Showcase. If they didn't do something it was only going to end up completely empty and, in the words of Disney, seasonal!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
OK, here's the part where I reveal my shame - I haven't read the whole thread. Are there really people who "love" M:S? Like, top 5 attraction at WDW "love"?

Put me into the "I Love M:S" camp. It may not be a top 5 for me, but would be on my top 10 list.

I doubt there's many that would ever put it in a top 5 list like that (expect top 5 at Epcot, but there's not a ton of competition there)

The groups would be more "people who like M:S" and "people who hate M:S"

Personally, I would have it as my favorite ride at Epcot.

I am excited for this refurb. I expect that they will do a good job with it. Hopefully, they will not try to "lighten up" the orange side to make it more appealing to the general park audience. The intensity of the ride is the primary reason why I like it.

*Q*

I know it would create some problems, but I do wish each centrifuge was set to a different intensity level, so that the people who easily take the Orange capsules in stride could have a more intense experience.

Bocabear

I think the ride is good...it's what happens afterward that the experience tanks in my view... It feels very much like the prelude to a larger attraction...which is kind of what it is... If you disembarked your space shuttle and walked through a tunnel to Mars Base Alpha ( Wonders Of Life) where there were exhibits and maybe another exciting attraction to further the experience and the story that you have just rocketed to Mars, then by all means I think it would feeel fabulous and complete... but as it current;y sits, it's a good thrill and no meat and potatoes.

*Q*

I think the ride is good...it's what happens afterward that the experience tanks in my view... It feels very much like the prelude to a larger attraction...which is kind of what it is... If you disembarked your space shuttle and walked through a tunnel to Mars Base Alpha ( Wonders Of Life) where there were exhibits and maybe another exciting attraction to further the experience and the story that you have just rocketed to Mars, then by all means I think it would feeel fabulous and complete... but as it current;y sits, it's a good thrill and no meat and potatoes.
That's exactly how I've always felt. They could have so many cool space-themed interactive exhibits and little shows and demonstrations and stuff in the Wonders of Life dome.

Bocabear

That's exactly how I've always felt. They could have so many cool space-themed interactive exhibits and little shows and demonstrations and stuff in the Wonders of Life dome.
now add in an Omnimover system like the Living Seas to take you from the Landing port to the Space Pavilion that would pass through some amazing Mars displays and visuals before entering the actual pavilion and I think you would have a complete sure-fire win. It would effectively be the Space version of the old Living Seas...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom