Mission:Space update (confirmed)

INico

I did not know that it was not a popular ride. No wonder why the lines are ao short. I ride this as many times as I can before closing. One time I was around 20 times in one day. This is how I get my "gs" fix. Again, it is not as intense as I hoped. But since it killed people its probably for the better. The only other comparable ride is dodonpa in Japan that accelerates very VERY quickly. Of course, M:S is much easier and cheaper to access. Probably the closest I will get to a catapult launch l.

INico

It isn't. It has never hit the targets or the THRC that were expected by Eisner. Even after Green was shoehorned in later.

His idea of it being so successful it would be cloned to DLP and then DL died pretty early on.
I can see why its not too popular. First, this seems more like Six Flags Magic Mountain type of rides and is out of place and some people get motion sickness or simply can't handle the gs. I can hardly see how some people think this ride is boring though. Its the sole reason I go to EPCOT aside from its fireworks, Spaceship Earth, and WS.

spacemt354

Chili's
To a handful of fans, you are correct. But, not to the general public otherwise you can bet they would still be there. EPCOT had Omni rides for SSE, Horizons, WoM and Imagination. Plus a small one at The Seas. Boat ride at Mexico and The Land which is essentially a floating Omni. It was saturated with the same thing. Yes, they were all different in content, but, they were enough alike to cause a lot of redundancy of motion and thought. I'm not the enemy here, I like Horizons too, but, I watched it die a slow death over the years going from queue lines that extended out the doors with an enormous internal queue as well, to a walk on. It had run its course with the public.

Another thing that drove in the coffin nail was that Epcot didn't promote itself in a way that would have captured the public's attention. It remained, for many years, a place touted as an educational experience. Problem? Well, people don't go on vacation to be schooled, they go for the entertainment value, which it also contained, but, that was never the promotional direction they took. Just a disclaimer here because I know I will be contradicted on this... this is strictly my opinion based on my feelings and my observations.
Horizons couldn't have been upgraded for a new generation? Plenty of rides see decline in popularity, but then are given face-lifts and upgraded to keep with the times.

I don't buy the over-saturation argument because Six Flags is saturated with coasters, SeaWorld is saturated with water-based attractions, and Universal is saturated with screen-based attractions. If the attraction is good it doesn't really matter what ride system it uses. Epcot used to be known for its deep, rich, and elaborately told edutainment attractions, which with proper guidance and vision, would have lasted into the 21st century no doubt in my mind.

INico

There are about half a dozen other attractions that need to be replaced before Mission: Space.
As much I love it, I now know it is going to be demoed sometime in the future. Before I binge this ride the moment it's announced it'll close, is there any other comparable simulator or ride in the US that has similar intensity? I don't feel like Air Force or Space Academy in the meantime or flying to Japan for Dodonpa. I don't trust the carnival centrifuges and Star Tours, while great, is too tame for me.

Casper Gutman

There are about half a dozen other attractions that need to be replaced before Mission: Space.

Beyond Soarin' (which has its own problems with the new film) and FEA (which is what it is), there isn't a single attraction in Epcot that doesn't need a lot of work. Still, I'd say the only attraction that needs a remodel before M:S is the embarrassment that is Imagination.

Daveeeeed

Beyond Soarin' (which has its own problems with the new film) and FEA (which is what it is), there isn't a single attraction in Epcot that doesn't need a lot of work. Still, I'd say the only attraction that needs a remodel before M:S is the embarrassment that is Imagination.
UoE, Living With the Land, Memo, films throughout world showcase, rides that.need to be added to world showcase, gran fiesta tour, Spaceship Eartg final. Since Mission space is getting it... That's what has.do be done. Oh and did I.mention the aesthetic changes through Future World?

Daveeeeed

As much I love it, I now know it is going to be demoed sometime in the future. Before I binge this ride the moment it's announced it'll close, is there any other comparable simulator or ride in the US that has similar intensity? I don't feel like Air Force or Space Academy in the meantime or flying to Japan for Dodonpa. I don't trust the carnival centrifuges and Star Tours, while great, is too tame for me.
It won't be the near future. I can guarantee you.we are at least a decade out from that, but probably more like 20 years or never.

Casper Gutman

UoE, Living With the Land, Memo, films throughout world showcase, rides that.need to be added to world showcase, gran fiesta tour, Spaceship Eartg final. Since Mission space is getting it... That's what has.do be done. Oh and did I.mention the aesthetic changes through Future World?

I don't disagree with any of that, of course (although Nemo is very low on the list - it's fine, and for Epcot right now fine is enough.) I'd also add Wonders of Life and even (at the very bottom of the list) add Test Track, which remains far too boring for a thrill ride. M:S is still right at the top, however.

articos

Horizons couldn't have been upgraded for a new generation? Plenty of rides see decline in popularity, but then are given face-lifts and upgraded to keep with the times.

I don't buy the over-saturation argument because Six Flags is saturated with coasters, SeaWorld is saturated with water-based attractions, and Universal is saturated with screen-based attractions. If the attraction is good it doesn't really matter what ride system it uses. Epcot used to be known for its deep, rich, and elaborately told edutainment attractions, which with proper guidance and vision, would have lasted into the 21st century no doubt in my mind.
Could Horizons have been updated? Absolutely. But not without a sponsor that wanted it.

Casper Gutman

Could Horizons have been updated? Absolutely. But not without a sponsor that wanted it.

Well, it COULD have even without a sponsor - Disney ain't poor and it wasn't then. The sponsorship idea was a vestige of an earlier era that Disney desperately clung to. Amusingly, now that I think about it, Disney was faced with a choice - cultural changes dictated that they could only keep one element of the World's Fair ethos that served as the foundation of Epcot: either the corporate sponsorships or the educational, less thrill-oriented rides. Disney choose really, really poorly.

articos

Well, it COULD have even without a sponsor - Disney ain't poor and it wasn't then. The sponsorship idea was a vestige of an earlier era that Disney desperately clung to. Amusingly, now that I think about it, Disney was faced with a choice - cultural changes dictated that they could only keep one element of the World's Fair ethos that served as the foundation of Epcot: either the corporate sponsorships or the educational, less thrill-oriented rides. Disney choose really, really poorly.
Disney COULD do anything they want. But at that point in time, nothing major was done in Epcot without an OP. When GE opted to forego renewal, it was the end of Horizons. At the time, guest satisfaction was telling them put more thrill rides in Epcot. Mission Space as a concept was incredibly ambitious, with a lot of excitement from WDI to get it built, and it was definitely a thrill ride. When Compaq came on board, they wanted to make a statement with something that would wow, and sending guests to space in zero g sounded like an E ticket plus plus. The thought was it would be as great as Horizons and would blow people away. Unfortunately, they forgot why astronauts are an exclusive club AND they overpromised. After budget cuts and people blowing their lunch, here we are. The company could keep the edutainment aspect along with sponsors - see SSE, or The Land. It just depends on what the guest surveys say and the sponsors wish list.

Casper Gutman

Disney COULD do anything they want. But at that point in time, nothing major was done in Epcot without an OP. When GE opted to forego renewal, it was the end of Horizons. At the time, guest satisfaction was telling them put more thrill rides in Epcot. Mission Space as a concept was incredibly ambitious, with a lot of excitement from WDI to get it built, and it was definitely a thrill ride. When Compaq came on board, they wanted to make a statement with something that would wow, and sending guests to space in zero g sounded like an E ticket plus plus. The thought was it would be as great as Horizons and would blow people away. Unfortunately, they forgot why astronauts are an exclusive club AND they overpromised. After budget cuts and people blowing their lunch, here we are. The company could keep the edutainment aspect along with sponsors - see SSE, or The Land. It just depends on what the guest surveys say and the sponsors wish list.

I think you're washing Disney's hands a bit too much here. The sponsorship thing is a very outdated notion - it springs from the World's Fairs, of course, and an era before the ad industry had fully matured, an era in which corporations and their proprietary control of science was going to bring us to a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." That idea was already threadbare by the time Epcot opened and it's only gotten moreso since. The key element in the decline of Epcot (well, one of the key elements) was that, for financial reasons, Disney remained married to a dead idea. What killed Epcot was not sponsors wish lists but the fact that Disney kept insisting they mattered. That thinking replaced Horizons and WoM with M:S and Test Track and let Imagination and Wonders of Life crumble. Letting non-entertainment executives make decisions about rides turned out to be an awful idea.

Rides do continue without sponsors, of course - Energy hasn't had one for over a decade, Spaceship Earth lacked one for a while, Imagination, Soarin, Seas and so on don't have one (if any of this is wrong, I apologize in advance). Sponsorship seems to be an excuse WDW uses when convenient.

As to M:S - the concept may have sounded great, but it's hard to believe folks looked at the sketches and mock-ups and thought "yeah, this is a great idea."

Otterhead

I would argue Mission: Space is one of the least rerideable attractions Disney has ever built
The last time I went to Epcot, my 14-year old nephew re-rode Mission:Space and Test Track on repeat for an entire day.

Usually people stay toward the middle,and enjoy all attractions. Not this one.
Mission:Space is a perfectly enjoyable ride that entertains a ton of people. It's not heavy on hard science but it's a lot of fun for a lot of visitors. It's not in my top ten rides or anything, but I'll happily ride it whenever I go.

so thanks for completely discounting their opinions and putting yours above others.
Not at all. Declaring something "horrible" is a personal opinion that isn't shared by most people. As others have pointed out, a lot of people like the ride, some think it's just okay, and some really like it. I don't think that's shocking or surprising to find out.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom