Mission:Space update (confirmed)

AndrewsJ

They actually did something? I don't recall the sticks ever having any real effect.
Well I have been going since 1971. I was there the day MS opened. Just because a title on WDWMagic says "well known member" actually means most of these folks have no life and post all day long in their daydreams.

bhg469

Well I have been going since 1971. I was there the day MS opened. Just because a title on WDWMagic says "well known member" actually means most of these folks have no life and post all day long in their daydreams.
That really didn't answer my question.. I am of that member status but if you look at my posts I go weeks or months with little contact. I'm not sure what you're implying with your response.

DDLand

Only because it was allowed to be.

View attachment 195958
That lens flare is great!

It's pictures like these that demonstrate how much I just don't get it. What a mind blowing experience it must have been to walk around EPCOT Center in the mid 80s. As a younger person, Epcot is all I've known. Everything was so clean and focused. So monumental and distinctive.

I try to understand what it must be like to see the state of things today. It would be like Tokyo Disney Sea's Mediterranean Harbor repainted in hideous nonsensical shades, American Waterfront demolished for something inferior, Mysterious Island's rides ripped out and replaced with generic and unsightly new attractions that shamelessly expose their track, Indiana Jones switched out with a new version a fraction of length and an inferior story, etc.

The extent of the decline is almost unfathomable.

Trying to understand that we used to have 1980s equivalent rides to Battle for the Sunken Treasure and Mystic Manor in Florida. Experiences that would leave you speechless. Rides that not only were great on their own, but fit into a larger picture.

All of that history is still there. It's mostly aged, but also has been updated with no coherent strategy.

I just don't get it. I don't honestly think I can...

Kamikaze

That really didn't answer my question.. I am of that member status but if you look at my posts I go weeks or months with little contact. I'm not sure what you're implying with your response.

I don't know what he meant either, but I too rode the attraction before public open, and the sticks never actually did anything. They had a 'rumble' effect that still exists to an extent, but has not been maintained. They did not influence the actual attraction.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
All of that history is still there. It's mostly aged, but also has been updated with no coherent strategy.
There's plenty of strategy, but it has shifted from being an entertainment company to being a stockholder (and executive) ATM.

V_L_Raptor

Based on how the ride is designed, I don't see that happening unless you have centrifuge A and C "mission to mars" and centrifuge B and D "land on comet" or they drastically change the control software... which would cause its own complications.

The underlying technology to know and control the direction / vector of the G forces imposed on the riders requires very specific inputs and rider positioning to avoid inducing some nasty side effects (e.g., motion sickness/Coriolis illusion / vestibular illusions) adn the rsultant protein spills.

IIRC there are 10 capsules per centrifuge. The way the manufacturer designed it had all the pods on each device move in the same manner - to ensure that the G forces are correctly aligned for the riders. They would all have to have some identical motion.. you can't speed up capsule 1,3,5,7,9 to 3G and 2,4,6,8,10 to only 2G. You can move the capsule in different angles to change the vector direction of the G force and make it feel different...

OK, so multiple missions, but all playing on the same round. Everyone boards the 'fuge this time... we're going to a comet. Centrifuge clears out, next passengers board... we're going to Mars. Next round, we do a really sci-fi-laden trip to Trappist-1. Why not? (Granted, "why not" may simply be that Imagineering didn't want to try such a thing...)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
OK, so multiple missions, but all playing on the same round. Everyone boards the 'fuge this time... we're going to a comet. Centrifuge clears out, next passengers board... we're going to Mars. Next round, we do a really sci-fi-laden trip to Trappist-1. Why not? (Granted, "why not" may simply be that Imagineering didn't want to try such a thing...)
How about "Orange team, you're going here. Green, you're going to here..."?

V_L_Raptor

Sure. I was more speaking to the discussion on what the centrifuges (and capsules? I've never seen how the whole system runs) could be synchronized with or not, as far as varying the missions goes. Either orange or green could go pretty much anyplace each time they fill the "assignment" room, right?

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...

New CM Explanation Scripting for MS:

"Orange Team, heads up. You'll be venturing to Mars - a cosmic wasteland that may have supported life at one time. The surface is desolate, inhospitable, and death lurks around every corner."

"Green Team, you're headed to Detroit. So, pretty much the same thing."

Goofyernmost

My suggestion, close mission space and put something else
Yea, let's suggest that they close something down instead of adding to the parks. Let's decide that just because you don't like something, no one does.
They actually did something? I don't recall the sticks ever having any real effect.
Don't blame your dead hands on Disney.

bhg469

Yea, let's suggest that they close something down instead of adding to the parks. Let's decide that just because you don't like something, no one does.

Don't blame your dead hands on Disney.
Oh no! I wouldn't dream of blaming dead hands on Disney for anything. Strobe lights can fix just about everything. Heck the electric umbrella burger didn't taste like a triple frozen patty once I had 1000 lumens of led goodness flashed in my eyes.

rushtest4echo

Mission: Space is no doubt flawed and largely underwhelming (except when it overwhelms for a few seconds with the bricks on your chest feeling). But the last thing EPCOT needs to do is shutter another pavilion and hope that a replacement will be an improvement. Horizons isn't coming back, and right now it's a passable attraction with good capacity and decent queue times. Besides, a new mission (if that's what's on tap) is going to be imminently better than Guardians of the Mission Breakout Space, right?

Personally, I'd place Mission: Space extremely low on my list of EPCOT/Future World priorities. Let it sit there and do what it does. I'll pop in every 6 months and ride one side or the other depending on how long the queues are and how I'm feeling. Wonders of Life, Energy, the Land, Imagination and plenty of stuff in World Showcase could use an overhaul/replacement above what Mission: Space needs. In fact, I'd like to see them finish Spaceship Earth's finale and address the Seas before touching Mission: Space in any major way. A few month rehab to make adjustments and updates is fine, but that's about all I think would be reasonable compared to the rest of EPCOT's needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom