Mission Space (Intense Version): Have You Ever Gotten Sick?

How has Mission Space impacted you?

• YES! I have gotten full-fledged sick. And we'll leave it at that. ;-)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • I felt pretty nauseated after, but that was all.

Votes: 60 25.6%
  • Minor, unmemorable stomach ache at the most.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • I could ride this multiple times and not be bothered at all.

Votes: 97 41.5%
  • I have never ridden Mission Space.

Votes: 26 11.1%

• Total voters

ddbowdoin

I definitely felt ill after and this was the first I have ever experienced illness from a ride. I don't know how many times I have been on intense rollercoasters (superman at SF was a breeze). I have a feeling it was more the confinement of the ride that did me in. I didnt like being locked in the way I was. I also think I started to look to my left and right rather than straight at the screen. I walked off a little crappy, and I had to sit down for 5-10mins before going the rest of the day. Personally though, its not a great ride. Thats just MHO though... the graphics seemed cheesy, is that just me?

Spike-in-Berlin

Absolutely no problems at all. Did it multiple times, sometimes several times a day and so far no nausea, no headache, no disorientation et al.
I love it although since I know that it was orginally intended to be only the prelude-ride to an absolutely breathtaking space pavillon, that was downsized to a really poorly executed post-show-area I am quite disappointed about the lost opportunities and consider it a minor anticlimax.

TakeMeThere81

I really could ride this attraction over and over, but to be fair I clicked the choice about the minor stomach ache because last trip I rode it after two margartitas (shared with DH but still)...not a good ride after alcohol. :lookaroun It only made me a little queasy still.

kch4095

I almost had a full blown panic attack on the ride. My two children (9 & 6) rode it with their dad while I waited and came out telling me how cool it was, begging me to ride with them. My husband told me that it really wasn't that bad, so I let them talk me into it. When the bars came over my shoulders and the doors closed, I thought I was going to die. Never had any major claustrophic issues before, but totally freaked out. Tried to tell myself to just breathe, close my eyes, stay calm and it would all be over in a few minutes. That's when Gary told us not to close our eyes! I just focused on the screen and somehow made it through. My sister-in-law and I had to lay on the benches outside of the Universe of Energy while husband and his brother took the kids on that ride. I will NEVER get back on either version of the ride. Gives me the cold sweats just thinking about it!

WDW_Emily

The first time I went on was in 2004, just over a year after it opened. Me and my dad did perfectly fine on the ride, but the two 20 something girls who were also in our car (not sure if thats the right word for it?) ended up puking during the take off. Since then I haven't been with anyone else who has felt sick afterwards.

10Magic

The first time I tried it, I kept looking over at my wife to see if she was OK. Well evidently, that's the WRONG thing to do. You're advised to keep your eyes on the screen in front of you to lessen the feeling of spinning. Although no lunch was lost, I was queasy for an hour. Even my attempt to "cool off" at Ellen's Energy Adventure didn't help. I felt re-queasy as soon as the seats started to move!
That being said, I've done MS a few more times since then to prove I could handle it, and I've been fine every time since!

MissM

The first time we went on it was in a pre-opening test day. We didn't know what the ride really was, nor that it spun. Love gets violently ill on spinning things. He can't even do things like the Carousel for example.

Well, needless to say, he got off and promptly got sick. He was ill and nauseous the rest of the day. It totally ruined his day. He won't do it again of course because now he knows.

But yeah, it was bad.

disneyowf

I have done all of the attractions at the World and this is one I would most like avoid (orange version). I rode shortly after it opened when only the 'intense' version existed. Definitely felt a little uneasy afterwards, and no other ride will do that to me in the Parks. I may try the green version next time, but the thought of a potential hurl on orange is not pleasant :).

I haven't ridden Mission:Space because I can get sick easily on the more intense rides. I got very nauseous after ridding Expedition Everest (I was fine until the backwards portion) and that killed the rest of the day for us. So I just avoid this ride in order to enjoy my day at Epcot.

NiarrNDisney

I had rode it back in 2005 without prior knowledge of what kind of ride it was.
I had no propblem but when I looked over at my friend and noticed she was turning green, I got a little concerned she might loose her lunch on me. Needless to say I handed her a bag and fortunatley enough the ride was almost over. However our trip down the exit ramp was interesting as I held her up (she was a little dizzy afterwards) and then she bolted for the nearest trash can. Luckily she was fine and after getting some fresh air and water we moved on with our day.

sweetpee_1993

My first ride on M:S I felt pretty sick afterward. This is partially my fault, tho. My youngest son (then 6 yrs old) was sitting next to me. As soon as the ride started moving he went nuts screaming and begging it to stop. Instead of sitting back and looking forward I spent the entire ride trying to lean forward so he could see me and get my arm around to comfort him. When I got off the ride I was pretty nauseated.

Since then I generally ride it just once. I prefer Orange Team to Green. I can slightly feel the "spin" particularly after the ride. I can ride it once and be a tad light-headed after but it passes by the time we walk outside. If I rode it more than once in a row I'd make myself sick.

My FiL rode it once in 2006 with my hubby. It made him extremely nauseated. He stayed that way for several hours. Poor thing was stuck going to Ohana with all of us for dinner still feeling horrible. After the salad & appetizers he excused himself to the bathroom, got it on "out", then returned to the table feeling 100% better and quite hungry. Whatever works, right? At least he didn't miss out on the entire meal. :lol:

bluewings

I have no problem on Mission Space. My mom and sister are a different story...my mom even claimed that the 'gentle' version was worse:shrug:

squareroot1764

I went on it on my first trip when I was eleven. I don't remember feeling sick but I don't really want to go on it again, really don't like the sensation of it. Also have a slight phobia of throwing up so the sick bags kinda freaked me out :lookaroun

My dad and brother love it though, they could easily go on it several times in a day (and my brother gets car sick quite often!)

enoe01

MS use to not botter me at all then the last trip we took I rode the intense side and came off with a bad headache and a bit queesy. We walked over to the Eletric Umbrella and had dinner. I felt fine after dinner although I will be taking MS off of my list of rides to do for now.

On a side note my son and I got to go behind the scenes at MS and got to sign the tan book that is on the console facing the line in the mission control room, pretty cool.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I'm not going anywhere near M:S. I know I will feel sick plus I don't like small spaces...I felt bad after Primevil Whirl..So yea no spinning for me..:wave:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I lost an entire day of my vacation after I rode M:S when it first opened. We went on it just before lunch time and I was so sick afterward. I can ride pretty much every rollercoaster, spinning ride, etc. without incident, but M:S damn near killed me. After :hurl: 4x all over Future World, I decided to go back to the room so I could die in peace. I spent pretty much the rest of the day laying on the floor in the bathroom praying that the room would stop spinning soon. I woke up fine the next day, but it was really upsetting to lose an entire day of vacation because of one stupid ride. I've obviously never gone on the Orange side since, and the whole pavilion could get swallowed up by a sink hole and I wouldn't care much. About 3 years ago I did the Green side to see if I could handle it. I wasn't nauseous to the point of :hurl: but I was off balance and walking like I'd just completed a Drink Around the World tour for about 2 hours afterward. Needless to say, I've lost whatever desire I had to experience space travel. I'll leave that up to the professionals who don't have equilibrium problems.

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
I am a motion sickness nightmare.... backseats of cars and longtrips are not my friend..
I'm the same way and it's really odd. I can drive the most curvy, bumpy road on earth. And if I'm the one behind the wheel...no problem. Yet if I'm backseat on even a slightly curvy road...it's Nausea City.
Yet roller coasters and rides like ToT are never a problem. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom