Minor Update

Piebald

Kermit and Piggy do not come out anymore because apparently they were deemed too awkward. (In my opinion, they're also too awkward for the parade and I wish they would appear in the normal, "puppet" selves while riding the cars. That'd be great!)

I've seen Brer Fox every time I go to MK in front of the shooting arcade. Last time I went was like a month and a half ago.

Cynderella

Wait...I'm sorry I must have missed a thread on this whole thing. :confused: So you don't get blank autograph books anymore? Each character has to sign a specific page? We're honeymooning in Sept. :D and I was going to get an autograph book since I havent had one since I was like 13. What's the deal? :confused:

wait wait wait HANDY MANNY has a page, dude that is sweet I havent seen him yet but I want too, My fiancee Boss is named Manny and they call him that from time to time.

disnyfan89

A little off topic, but can anyone confirm that Brer Fox and Bear are no longer doing Meet and Greets? I was really hoping for a picture with them in August!
I can confirm that both Br'er Bear and Br'er Fox still do meet and greets in Frontierland in the MK!

CoffeeJedi

I call shenanigans!
Jane and Terk get a page but Tarzan's not even in there?
Dude, if you're going to make up stuff, to be convincing, the devil is in the details.

disnyfan89

I call shenanigans!
Jane and Terk get a page but Tarzan's not even in there?
Dude, if you're going to make up stuff, to be convincing, the devil is in the details.

Yes but Jane and Terk do meet and greets! The only place I have ever heard of a M&G with Tarzan was at DL at Tarzan's tree house.

PLTram

Hands-up who hates autograph books?
:wave:

Hands up here. I don't even know why I'm reading this thread -- I guess because the mysterious OP 'Dew' started it.

What's the excitement about having some sweatty nobody (sorry dutiful CMs) from Orlando dressed up in a furry Goofy costume signing someone else's (and a fictional character's at that) autograph?

Yes, I know the kids love it, but most of you getting all worked up here aren't kiddies, are you?

Epcotian

Will characters be allowed to sign their page more than once (ie-at more than one meeting)? Reason I ask is because on our 05 trip we got Mickey's auto as "Chef Mickey" at his restaurant in the Contemporary. This year, we wanted (and got) his "regular" autograph. How would that work in the new books?

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Sorry guys, very busy day at work the past two days. Here's the answers:

- These will not be replacing the blank autograph books at WDW, although you will find many more of these autograph books than the classic blank page booklets.

- Tarzan will be signing in the "Special Meetings" section of the autograph booklet because Tarzan is one of the rarest characters for "Meet and Greets" at Walt Disney World. It is difficult to increase Tarzan's appearances in the future.

- We expect to start the program early this coming Spring.

- If Mickey in his sorceror costume signs your book, the signature will go in the "Special Meetings" section unless you specifically request that he sign in the "Mickey and Friends" section (and only if the "Mickey and Friends" section is still blank). This is how it will most likely work with all of our character variants.

DDuckFan130

My first "huh" was with Figaro :lol: I've never ever seen him :lol:

And anyone else think having Tarzan out would be.....uh....weird? You know, loin cloth and all? :lookaroun

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
My first "huh" was with Figaro :lol: I've never ever seen him :lol:

Figaro is in the inventory, although he may need a shiny new coat for the new appearances if you know what I mean.

And anyone else think having Tarzan out would be.....uh....weird? You know, loin cloth and all?

It's the coolest costume in WDW.

Thumper 32

Ok, this is all very interesting and amusing. I want to believe all of this more than anyone, and certainly hope that even half of the characters listed here come out more often. But, there are a few issues I have to list out.

Now none of these are necessarily deal-breakers, but they do cause me to pause when considering this rumor. I'm not trying to shoot this down, only discuss and analyze, which is the point of these boards, so no flames please.

Ok, here goes the analysis:

1) Many of the characters listed do not currently exist in costume form, or haven't been out in so long that they probably need a facelift.:p Included in this group is: Figaro, Ludwig, Humphrey, Ranger, Mr. Lopart, Pumbaa, Pete, etc. Not saying these couldn't be in the works, it just seems unlikely to have so many new friends appear all at once. If so, the costuming department must be working overtime!

2) If this was a bona fide list from the Character department, I think they would have gotten the names of the Characters correct. It's Fifer Pig, not Piper Pig. Mrs. Incredible is not allowed to be called Elastigirl in the parks. Pumbaa has two "a"s and Aladdin has two "d"s. Baloo wouldn't be called Baloo the Bear, just Baloo. It's Mr. Walrus, not Walrus.

3) Some of the grouping seems just odd. Why is Figaro in the Mickey and Friends section? Sure, die hard fans know that he was in a few cartoons with Minnie, but to 95% of the people, he is from Pinocchio. And why is Mr. Walrus in the Villains section? Most people don't really see him as a villain, even though it can be argued that he was. Sounds more like a fan creation than an official broad-appeal creation.

4) Some characters who are currently out at WDW with decent regularity are not listed. Such as: Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, Suzy, Perla, Frozone, Meeko, King Louie, Foulfellow, Gideon, Stanley, Kim Possible, Ron Stoppable, Marie, Mushu, Chicken Little, Abby, T Rex, Roxie etc. Is this new book concept really trying to say that Huey Dewey and Louie are going to be easier to find than Meeko?!?!? There are too many current characters missing for me to buy in to all of the new (although admittedly very cool) ones listed.

5) Why is Mayor Weaver included in the list? The majority of people will be trying to figure out what movie he's from.

6) Echoing an earlier comment, why just Drizella? It's like listing only 5 of the dwarfs. I don't buy the Anastasia argument - if they were listed together, it would be just fine. And I know for a fact that Entertainment currently will not send out just one of the step-sisters...if one is absent, they cut the other one, since they must appear together. So it makes no sense to only have one listed in this book.

7) I also don't buy the Lady Tremaine is too scary arguement. Scarier than Jafar or the Big Bad Wolf? I don't think so.

8) Why Big Al and not any of the other Country Bears? He's traditionally been the hardest of the four to find, not the easiest.

9) Why Kronk without Kuzco? Strange to not have the star of the movie/show.

10) Regarding the comment about Sorcerer Mickey signing in the Special Meetings section, and not the Mickey page: What about Safari Mickey at DAK? Or Dreams Mickey at MGM? Or Mexico Donald? I have a tough time believing that the general public would be ok with Mickey not signing on his page because he's at DAK and not MK.

Ok, like I said, I'd love to be proven wrong on all of these comments. It would be great to see Humphrey and the Ranger out in the parks. I'd love to get a picture with Pete or Gaston. But as of now, I'm taking it with a few pounds of salt. And I'll happily eat a few pounds of crow in a few months if this all turns out to be true!:lol:

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I"ll try to answer these as quickly as possible:

Many of the characters listed do not currently exist in costume form, or haven't been out in so long that they probably need a facelift.:p Included in this group is: Figaro, Ludwig, Humphrey, Ranger, Mr. Lopart, Pumbaa, Pete, etc. Not saying these couldn't be in the works, it just seems unlikely to have so many new friends appear all at once. If so, the costuming department must be working overtime!

I think you actually named them all (maybe we're missing one or two). An addition of seven new characters is not anything special, and I can guarantee you that there will be more new characters. One of the things that was looked at when the autograph book was developed was what characters were scheduled to be designed already... their was an effort to include those characters in the book so they could be used as much as possible.

If this was a bona fide list from the Character department, I think they would have gotten the names of the Characters correct. It's Fifer Pig, not Piper Pig. Mrs. Incredible is not allowed to be called Elastigirl in the parks. Pumbaa has two "a"s and Aladdin has two "d"s. Baloo wouldn't be called Baloo the Bear, just Baloo. It's Mr. Walrus, not Walrus.

That's simply a result of me transposing from my handwritten notes that I made. I had to make my notes quickly (Aladdin is just a typo on my part).

Some of the grouping seems just odd. Why is Figaro in the Mickey and Friends section? Sure, die hard fans know that he was in a few cartoons with Minnie, but to 95% of the people, he is from Pinocchio. And why is Mr. Walrus in the Villains section? Most people don't really see him as a villain, even though it can be argued that he was. Sounds more like a fan creation than an official broad-appeal creation.

Figaro is featured in "Mickey and Friends" because he has two roles and because we needed a cat and a pet for Minnie. Figaro was the cat in Pinocchio, but since has played the part of Minnie's pet. Figaro has been seen in storybooks, comics, and especially Minnie Mouse cartoons, so we expect that fans will immediately recognize the role that Figaro is playing in the book.

I'm not sure about Mr. Walrus, but I believe he is technically listed in our villians category. As to why he was chosen, I don't know - I would suspect it was a joint decision by WDI and WDW Park Management in deciding what characters could be made more available easier.

Some characters who are currently out at WDW with decent regularity are not listed. Such as: Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, Suzy, Perla, Frozone, Meeko, King Louie, Foulfellow, Gideon, Stanley, Kim Possible, Ron Stoppable, Marie, Mushu, Chicken Little, Abby, T Rex, Roxie etc. Is this new book concept really trying to say that Huey Dewey and Louie are going to be easier to find than Meeko?!?!? There are too many current characters missing for me to buy in to all of the new (although admittedly very cool) ones listed.

We want guests who are sharing only a single day with us to be able to get quite a few "Special Meetings" characters. For that reason, we purposefully left off characters like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. We also took into consideration characters which are less likely to be visible in the future (Abby Mallard, Esmarelda, etc). It remains to be seen whether or not Huey, Dewey, and Louie will be easier to find than Meeko, but they will be much more visible in the parks.

Why is Mayor Weaver included in the list? The majority of people will be trying to figure out what movie he's from.

I haven't seen his watermark image, but I would assume that it would indicate that he is the Mayor of Main Street USA. A similar problem exists for Figment, but I'm sure we'll do the same great job of indicating that Figment is Epcot related.

Echoing an earlier comment, why just Drizella? It's like listing only 5 of the dwarfs. I don't buy the Anastasia argument - if they were listed together, it would be just fine. And I know for a fact that Entertainment currently will not send out just one of the step-sisters...if one is absent, they cut the other one, since they must appear together. So it makes no sense to only have one listed in this book.

That's actually a good point, and I may voice this concern in the future. The plan has never been to send out only one stepsister at at time. The plan was to have guests get one of their "The Villians" autographs and one "Special Meetings" autographs.

I also don't buy the Lady Tremaine is too scary arguement. Scarier than Jafar or the Big Bad Wolf? I don't think so.

That's not the only reason for Lady Tremaine not being included. She's also a face character who is rather difficult to keep out and about. Jafar and the Big Bad Wolf can be played by most any tall person.

Why Big Al and not any of the other Country Bears? He's traditionally been the hardest of the four to find, not the easiest.

Big Al was chosen because he is the bear also featured in our attraction at the Magic Kingdom.

Why Kronk without Kuzco? Strange to not have the star of the movie/show.

For whatever reason, Kronk is more easily identified. There were some additional reasons for this also, but I'll leave them unstated at this time.

Regarding the comment about Sorcerer Mickey signing in the Special Meetings section, and not the Mickey page: What about Safari Mickey at DAK? Or Dreams Mickey at MGM? Or Mexico Donald? I have a tough time believing that the general public would be ok with Mickey not signing on his page because he's at DAK and not MK.

The details of the character variants still has to be worked out. One idea that has been floating around lately is the idea of providing a small sticker with the character's variant costume displayed that the guest can stick to the character's section. There is opposition to that idea, and at this time, I believe the idea is still to have the character sign in the "Special Meetings" section. This could change, and I'll let you know if it does.

Ok, like I said, I'd love to be proven wrong on all of these comments. It would be great to see Humphrey and the Ranger out in the parks. I'd love to get a picture with Pete or Gaston. But as of now, I'm taking it with a few pounds of salt. And I'll happily eat a few pounds of crow in a few months if this all turns out to be true!

I believe we actually have Gaston out in the parks at times. I could be wrong on that one, but we've worked before to provide him... so unless E has not used him yet, he should be out there from time to time.

Thumper 32

Thanks for the quick answers, ReDisniey E-Dew. Mostly seems like plausible explanations. Like I said, I think it would be awesome if this all came true. It still seems a little out there, but I'll be patiently waiting to find out! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom