MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Captain Neo

To be fair all of that stuff except Star Wars were just bluesky proposals anyway and weren't ever really gonna happen.

I was laughing reading the article because while Disney may be putting projects on hold Universal Studios is not and they have major expansions coming to FL (2014) and CA (2016) that are about to steal a huge chunk of attendance from Disney.

CDavid

It seems odd though that this article states every project is on hold and yesterday we saw permits filed for Avatar work.

I wondered about that too. Perhaps the project is 'protected' somewhat by Iger's ego, or seen as too far along and thus too embarrassing to cancel, but it could also be those permits were already in the pipeline before any 'stop work' instructions were handed down. We'll know eventually, when construction either does or doesn't get going.

The Disney Springs parking garage is on Reedy Creek's books, right? But I wouldn't be as surprised to see work on the shops themselves delayed or scaled back.

Finally, I would assume the Polynesian DVC addition will remain on track, simply because they see it as a cash cow. Otherwise, this is bad. Very bad.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wondered about that too. Perhaps the project is 'protected' somewhat by Iger's ego, or seen as too far along and thus too embarrassing to cancel, but it could also be those permits were already in the pipeline before any 'stop work' instructions were handed down. We'll know eventually, when construction either does or doesn't get going.

The Disney Springs parking garage is on Reedy Creek's books, right? But I wouldn't be as surprised to see work on the shops themselves delayed or scaled back.

Finally, I would assume the Polynesian DVC addition will remain on track, simply because they see it as a cash cow. Otherwise, this is bad. Very bad.

Would not read too much into permit filing, That system is probably automated and its just not worth bothering with to stop the filings.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know this has been mentioned before, I believe 74 mentioned it as well... But has Disney ever officially confirmed this?

Look at the park schedule for the 6'th - It's not there I have not seen an ANNOUNCEMENT but Disney is probably trying to prevent an outcry from community

lazyboy97o

But Avatarland isn't an unconfirmed rumor.

Funny that the article would have nothing to say about something that could be independently verified...
Not really. That project is already approved and known. The whole story is about cleaning up a mess with what is available. Not yet finalized projects are completely different.

GiveMeTheMusic

To be fair all of that stuff except Star Wars were just bluesky proposals anyway and weren't ever really gonna happen.

I was laughing reading the article because while Disney may be putting projects on hold Universal Studios is not and they have major expansions coming to FL (2014) and CA (2016) that are about to steal a huge chunk of attendance from Disney.

I don't know where you get your info but EVERYTHIING listed for DLR was very much going to happen, with construction slated to begin in 2014 in some cases.

I just can't get over how dumb these people are. It's not like their own CMs and crazies like us haven't been screaming at the top of our lungs about this horrid idea since the beginning. Now, everyone gets to suffer, especially the guests! Walt would be so proud.

Ignohippo

Your favorite sports team, one of those once-great franchises who've fallen into a bit of a slump over the last decade, goes out and spends a huge chunk of your cap space on a new player... Not a proven performer, or a veteran leader, but an expensive, risky, unproven player.

Not only does this new player not contribute on the field, but the percentage of the payroll they're occupying make it impossible to try a more traditional plan of picking up a rising star, or a vet.

The long term contact and expense means you're stuck with this guy for (x) years.

All you can hope for is a forced shakeup in management and pray whoevers at the helm when the money is available can right the ship.

Either that, or you trade in your Fighting Walts jersey for some kit from the mighty Orlando Universalians.

Or, you simply have enough forward thinking (and aren't ruled by your own ego) to simply get rid of the player in question, take your lumps, and move on.

Look at Carl Crawford and the Boston Red Sox. They signed him for $25 mil + and he was a complete stiff for them. After only two years, they traded him to the Dodgers, paying quite a bit of his contract as well, and ended up winning the World Series.

You have to be smart enough in business to know when to simply walk away.

Firstly, they never should have invested in FP+ until they were sure the system would work. FP+ should have been implemented in a few locations before going hog wild on doing it for the entire park. Second, it should have been first used simply for entrance to the parks and payment for the first couple of years.

Their biggest mistake with this thing was that they tried to have a million uses for this thing all at once. A timed rollout over 5-10 years would have [possibly] given this thing a much better chance at being successful.

Fox&Hound

I wonder if Disney is just spread too thin. Don't hate me for not having a global world view, but I often wonder what the parks would look like if Disney just had WDW in FL and Disneyland/California Adventure. Think of all the money that could have been spent domestically or the the projects that could have been approved if they were not constantly building or reinvesting in parks overseas. I want to travel the globe and see these other parks one day, so I'm not trying to hate on them per say, but it just seems like Disney is struggling with keeping up with everything on their plate.

aladdin2007

If what Miceage reported is true then I expect Rasolu and Staggs will be thrown to the sharks within a year

I dont know about Staggs but Rasulo needs to be shown the door along with many others already, including clueless Iger. its all such a shame and the dark ages have now begun, until these neanderthals are weeded out. I expect we will still get Festival of Fantasy and of course the mine train, and maybe the new soarin film, but sounds like thats it. Epcot will have more dead space, imagination. The studios will continue to flounder and the hat stays till it crumbles on its own and the list goes on. Surely they still arent going to build the big meetngreet between mexico and norway? I would imagine that must be out too unless TDO already has allocated budget for that, at the expense of Imagination.

AMartin767

I can see why they want to move away from the old Fast Pass system. You must admit that all those machines and the thousands of paper tickets must have been an ongoing cost not to mention the impact on the environment. (Those tickets must have burned alot of paper).

lazyboy97o

I wonder if Disney is just spread too thin. Don't hate me for not having a global world view, but I often wonder what the parks would look like if Disney just had WDW in FL and Disneyland/California Adventure. Think of all the money that could have been spent domestically or the the projects that could have been approved if they were not constantly building or reinvesting in parks overseas. I want to travel the globe and see these other parks one day, so I'm not trying to hate on them per say, but it just seems like Disney is struggling with keeping up with everything on their plate.
The largest ownership stake that Disney has in any of the overseas parks is 48% of the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

I dont know about Staggs but Rasulo needs to be shown the door along with many others already, including clueless Iger.
Staggs was Rasulo's boss at Strategic Planning.

Bairstow

I don't know where you get your info but EVERYTHIING listed for DLR was very much going to happen, with construction slated to begin in 2014 in ssome cases.

I don't know where you get your info.
Every single thing the article claims has been cancelled was an unattributed rumor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom