MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

devoy1701

about 80% of the threads/comments around here are a little extreme

if everything on here was true... Disney would be closing the doors tomorrow and Uni would be king of all entertainment with free butterbeer at every street corner
oh here we go...the degradation of this thread has begun. It only took 5 pages for a pixieduster to throw in the "by what people are saying here Disney should be closing it's doors" comment!

pheneix

Frankly, when you describe things that way, what the situation looks like to me is...that Iger's trying to reshape the Parks' financial picture to make them look more attractive to prospective buyers. Which I hope to God is not true...

There is no long term vision for the Walt Disney Company past the termination of Bob Iger's contract. I fully expect the company to be loaded up with debt and whacked off into pieces before WDW's 50th. It probably won't be a bad thing for the theme parks either.

Last edited:

devoy1701

There is no long term vision for the Walt Disney Company past the termination of Bob Iger's contract. I fully expect the company to be loaded up with debt and whacked off into pieces before WDW's 40th. It probably won't be a bad thing for the theme parks either.
WDW's 40th was 2 years ago. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But doesn't TWDC silo their separate arms fairly rigidly? P&R are depended on heavily for positive cashflow to help cleanup other ventures' shortfalls? It's a house of cards... They can't afford to lose the cash they expect from P&R because they need it to pay the bills elsewhere.

This I think sums it up nicely and they are squeezing P&R hard because there is no revenue growth in the OTHER businesses and the cable properties are going to be hit HARD if 'ala-carte' pricing comes to cable.

WDWDad13

it's a sad day when a Disney fan community celebrates the assumed failure of a large foundational/infrastructure project on an article from another fan site

not saying it's not true... who knows... but it's just sad in many ways

Bairstow

But they are not ACTING like they are flush with cash if they were that profitable the MM+ boondoggle would simply be swept under the rug - 'whoopsie our bad' Like Microsoft with the Surface RT - wrote off 2 Billion in inventory, HP's tablet 1B+ writeoff.

What's interesting is technically both companies are much less profitable than Disney MSFT 37.55 but they did not do a massive companywide retrenchment after these highly publicized whoopsies.

That's why I'm wondering about the REAL state of TWDC.

But this assumes that MyMagicPlus is a failure. There is no proof of this, other than anecdotal complaints and articles based on them. In fact, the fact that they haven't rolled back implementation at a single resort is pretty good evidence that it's working.

Just because Disney isn't expanding their parks as fast as you would like them to doesn't men they coldnt do so if they wanted.

bhg469

Well there it is folks. I blame no one but myself for thinking star wars would be moved ahead to compete with universal. Again it is abundantly clear they are going after guests who demand the least, spend the most and will keep thinking that meet and greets are attractions. I can't wait to see universal for the first time in well over a decade.

Sue_Vongello

it's a sad day when a Disney fan community celebrates the assumed failure of a large foundational/infrastructure project on an article from another fan site

I don't think anyone is celebrating. I wish we were all wrong about this but the sad reality is the average board member here saw this as a problem well before the HEAD OF THE COMPANY!

That is troubling enough in of itself ...

Not to say the company is dying or WDW is done forever but when management tries some hair brained scheme to bloat profits outside of what has always worked for WDW and can't see the problems inherent in the plan ... that's scary ... and to see it play out ... well saying "I told you so" from the fans that did actually "tell them so" is the least of our problems.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The problem being it did not HAVE to be a failure, TWDC's OCD made it a failure, IF they had simply created the MagicBands used them in place of KTTW, added PhotoPass to them and made them eFastpass with the same distribution rules - and left the Data Mining as a sweetener for TWDC.

I think the fan community would have celebrated the NGE project, Instead it was designed to degrade the experience and offending your best customers is not a strategy for business success.

lazyboy97o

But this assumes that MyMagicPlus is a failure. There is no proof of this, other than anecdotal complaints and articles based on them. In fact, the fact that they haven't rolled back implementation at a single resort is pretty good evidence that it's working.

Just because Disney isn't expanding their parks as fast as you would like them to doesn't men they coldnt do so if they wanted.
Except that the rollout is on the record from Disney as being quite behind schedule.

WDWDad13

I don't think anyone is celebrating. I wish we were all wrong about this but the sad reality is the average board member here saw this as a problem well before the HEAD OF THE COMPANY!

That is troubling enough in of itself ...

Not to say the company is dying or WDW is done forever but when management tries some hair brained scheme to bloat profits outside of what has always worked for WDW and can't see the problems inherent in the plan ... that's scary ... and to see it play out ... well saying "I told you so" from the fans that did actually "tell them so" is the least of our problems.

I still think MM+ can and will be successful... now when I say that I don't mean making billions of dollars from it... I mean successful in using magic bands for things, mobile apps, notifications of a discount somewhere nearby to help redirect some traffic flow, talking characters or attractions knowing who you are, FP+ still needs some re-thinking I agree on that...but there are still so pros than can and should come out of it...we'll see

PREMiERdrum

Your favorite sports team, one of those once-great franchises who've fallen into a bit of a slump over the last decade, goes out and spends a huge chunk of your cap space on a new player... Not a proven performer, or a veteran leader, but an expensive, risky, unproven player.

Not only does this new player not contribute on the field, but the percentage of the payroll they're occupying make it impossible to try a more traditional plan of picking up a rising star, or a vet.

The long term contact and expense means you're stuck with this guy for (x) years.

All you can hope for is a forced shakeup in management and pray whoevers at the helm when the money is available can right the ship.

Either that, or you trade in your Fighting Walts jersey for some kit from the mighty Orlando Universalians.

Sue_Vongello

Failure may be an extreme term but by Iger and Rasulo's own words MM+ is behind schedule (here's a good reference for timetable http://skift.com/2013/11/17/walt-disney-worlds-mymagic-smart-bracelets-face-setback/).

So while failure may be extreme because there is a finality to that word and clearly we haven't seen the end of this (insert word here) ... what would you call a project that is over budget, behind schedule, troubled, and hasn't increased guest traffic?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But doesn't TWDC silo their separate arms fairly rigidly? P&R are depended on heavily for positive cashflow to help cleanup other ventures' shortfalls? It's a house of cards... They can't afford to lose the cash they expect from P&R because they need it to pay the bills elsewhere.

And many of the deals were made with STOCK instead of cash, So it's essential that the TWDC stock price be pumped as if it falls significantly the whole thing comes unglued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom