MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

lazyboy97o

Why would they even care?
Most people would not and they are not the issue. The problem is the person who would care.

So Disney employees are now just "people on the street?" Main Street is a little different than a corner in downtown Orlando

Besides lots of people that work for Disney knows some of our itineraries now right?
When it comes to dealing with tens of thousands of people, what really separates them from other people? There are crooks and creeps working as Cast Members just as there are crooks and creeps in the general population.

There is a difference in detail and availability. The Cast Member helping with the FastPass machine does not automatically get to see where you will be throughout the day. That is where the concern comes into play. More people automatically getting more information.

Oh, come on. First off in order for a pedophile to achieve his/her goal they have to be in the right place at the right time. They have to be able to act on a situation that allows them "personal" access to the child. That cannot be done via computer. Even if you know a kid is lets say in Morocco since you used that as an example, does that mean that 1) the perp. has access and opportunity? or 2) they even know what the kid looks like in a sea of kids? I suppose they could ask the kid his/her social security number to make sure they have the right one. This isn't even an argument. It's unadulterated unthought-out paranoia. Must either be a full moon or Walmart had a Black Friday sale on Tin Hats.

Since the situation with the male CM's and the female guests are a matter of personal contact at the time and when the opportunity presented itself (which isn't always there) opening access in no way offers any assistance. None! Again how do they even identify the person that they are tracking via this evil system. Does it also contain pictures?
The information is not acquired via computer, it is made available during contact. The Cast Member would know what a person looks like based on the interaction. They would be able to track by looking at the itinerary. I'm not talking about somebody exploiting the system to track live movements. It is the scenario @GoofGoof described where the Cast Member "coincidently" shows up at a later FastPass+ reservation that was seen during a previous interaction.

Oh, and the MagicBands are intended to automatically add photos to PhotoPass.

Cosmic Commando

I simply am not comfortable with that many CMs having access to my 13 and 17 year old daughters' personal info like our local address.
Front desk staff have had access to this info since the dawn of time. I can't imagine the attraction greeter at Peter Pan will be able to see anything more than hometown, state (if that). About the same amount of info that wearing local sports paraphernalia gives. There's simply no reason to spend the money to give absolutely every CM blanket access to every bit of information the company has on you.

When you track your FedEx package online, you see "arrived at Syracuse, NY 3:52 AM" and so on. If a manager at the terminal tracks that same package, they can see every scan inside the terminal, the trailer number that the box is on, who's driving it, that driver's ID #, etc. Completely different levels of access tied into the same backend system, but when you use your low-end access as a customer, do you ever accidentally see the driver's home address?

G00fyDad

but why are we so scared? seriously? think of all the places we enter, write down, type, etc. our names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, or take it a step further give our credit card numbers, hand our credit cards to waiters/waitresses, etc. etc.

what makes some so scared that a CM at the Disney/Magic Kingdom emporium might do some criminal act that they couldn't do today if they really wanted to

What you're not taking into account is these same people are freaking out over that too. ;)

I feel the same as you. Who cares if Disney data mines the living crap outta me? Not me.

lazyboy97o

Front desk staff have had access to this info since the dawn of time. I can't imagine the attraction greeter at Peter Pan will be able to see anything more than hometown, state (if that). About the same amount of info that wearing local sports paraphernalia gives. There's simply no reason to spend the money to give absolutely every CM blanket access to every bit of information the company has on you.

When you track your FedEx package online, you see "arrived at Syracuse, NY 3:52 AM" and so on. If a manager at the terminal tracks that same package, they can see every scan inside the terminal, the trailer number that the box is on, who's driving it, that driver's ID #, etc. Completely different levels of access tied into the same backend system, but when you use your low-end access as a customer, do you ever accidentally see the driver's home address?
The reason for sharing information is to customize the experience. Disney wants people to just be greeted by name or wished an enjoyable time on their next FastPass+ selection. Would you not be a little creeped out if while handing you your package the FedEx driving said he'll see you on Thursday when your package from Amazon is scheduled to be delivered?

Tigger1988

I've seen what shows up on the screen when you scan your band at an attraction, it says your name. I didn't see any info about where (or when) our next Fastpass was reserved for or any other info.

So no, the greeter at Peter Pan is not seeing any personal info unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The reason for sharing information is to customize the experience. Disney wants people to just be greeted by name or wished an enjoyable time on their next FastPass+ selection. Would you not be a little creeped out if while handing you your package the FedEx driving said he'll see you on Thursday when your package from Amazon is scheduled to be delivered?
I'd settle for a clean food court. The basics of service do not involve "using the persons name".

I did used to train people to glance at the credit card / debit card if someone paid with that and thank them by name, but that's a very minor part of the experience. If the restaurant is dirty, the food isn't well done, and half the games are down...guests aren't gonna say "well, the experience stank, but they at least called me by name!".

"Sir" or "Ma'am" works just as well.

The focus is all wrong.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

All the CMs with the iPads have access to info like your address. If we were't locals, I wouldn't care.

Cosmic Commando

That would be weird, but that would almost be like on the same level as the loader at Soarin' striking up the conversation "Hey Mr. Lazyboy, I see you like sleeping on the bed near the air conditioner at Pop Century... me too!" My point was just that you can have massive databases of information with different levels of access (for example, Central Reservations versus attraction CM's) without slip ups.
All the CMs with the iPads have access to info like your address. If we were't locals, I wouldn't care.
Honestly, I haven't been following the rollout 100%, but I'd be shocked if every attraction CM sees your address when the whole thing is running as it should. There's simply no reason.

lazyboy97o

That would be weird, but that would almost be like on the same level as the loader at Soarin' striking up the conversation "Hey Mr. Lazyboy, I see you like sleeping on the bed near the air conditioner at Pop Century... me too!" My point was just that you can have massive databases of information with different levels of access (for example, Central Reservations versus attraction CM's) without slip ups.
Right, and I do not think many people deny that such levels of access are a possibility. The concern is how much Disney has and intends to open up that access.

Cosmic Commando

Right, and I do not think many people deny that such levels of access are a possibility. The concern is how much Disney has and intends to open up that access.
Right. My view is that giving liberal access to everyone would probably be additional work that should raise red flags at the outset. I hope Disney is that smart.

flyerjab

I've read through this thread the entire way throughout the day and I have to say...I just don't care about the data thing. I assume that this will be par for the course with everything in the very near future, as it is with some things now. Also, I am very much not local so it really doesn't matter to me.
Furthermore, if I see that I am being stalked, or my wife or kids are being stalked by a CM on property, I will report their . Magic bands aren't needed for that to happen, it just happens to make it easier.

What I would like to know from people that truly understand IT is this: if CMs used personal information from the NGE for nefarious purposes, would it be easy to prove that? Obviously, if you were being followed, it probably would. But I've been thinking, since TWDC is essentially a huge pile of money, how easy would it be to establish a lawsuit? Seriously, if CMs started using this tech unlawfully, couldn't you sue TWDC? I can't see them allowing something like that to happen. Again, I know nothing about IT so I could be way off on this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The magstrip or 2D code were not introduced by Real ID, nor does Real ID Act dictate the SSN be included at all on the ID. The fact that SSN is still on some IDs is a state ID issue that is not related to Real ID, existing before RealID, and does not go beyond the IDs with the legacy issue. The fact that some IDs have the SSN on them still does not mean everyone is exposing their SSN when their license is scanned. Again it's ford91explorer taking something with a sliver of truth, extrapolating and misapplying the fact to create FUD.

Sorry I guess because I actually worked on a drivers license project for state government in another life I don't know what I'm talking about. SSN if used by the state is on band 3 of the magstripe, It is NOT human readable but every time your DL is swiped at the grocery store to buy alcohol or tobacco products it is READ. Whether it is STORED somewhere is up to the system implementor.

Bairstow

I've read through this thread the entire way throughout the day and I have to say...I just don't care about the data thing. I assume that this will be par for the course with everything in the very near future, as it is with some things now. Also, I am very much not local so it really doesn't matter to me.
Furthermore, if I see that I am being stalked, or my wife or kids are being stalked by a CM on property, I will report their . Magic bands aren't needed for that to happen, it just happens to make it easier.

What I would like to know from people that truly understand IT is this: if CMs used personal information from the NGE for nefarious purposes, would it be easy to prove that? Obviously, if you were being followed, it probably would. But I've been thinking, since TWDC is essentially a huge pile of money, how easy would it be to establish a lawsuit? Seriously, if CMs started using this tech unlawfully, couldn't you sue TWDC? I can't see them allowing something like that to happen. Again, I know nothing about IT so I could be way off on this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney's system logged the user-id each time a CM access anyone's data or account.
This would be very useful for quality control purposes, CM evaluation, and repairing mistakes, in addition to security.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom