MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Cesar R M

ok... so let me ask this question another way based on your reply

why are we so scared a frontline CM at Disney/Magic Kingdom Emporium could download transaction data? WHO CARES if they know little billy's dad bough him a stuffed mickey mouse toy
I dont think the CMs or low level managers are the ones to worry.
the top ones ARE.
I know we've been down this path before, but I'll do it once more. It doesn't need to be a major criminal act or even really a criminal act at all and you don't need intelligence to pull it off. If a CM has an IPad with my itinery, where I'm staying, where I'm from, where I'm eating dinner each night, what park I'm going to be in, what rides I'm going to be riding, etc... It's just creepy and unnecessary to me. Here's a simple hypothetical example of how it can be creepy. A 19 year old girl has breakfast at Ohana. The waiter attempts to engage in a little back and forth conversation, maybe some flirting. On her way out of the restaurant he asks her if she wants to get together later that night. She politely declines. Guess who shows up that night at the restaurant she is having dinner or the ride she has reserved. It's just creepy. If she's 16 instead of 19 it makes it even worse. If the guy shows up at her room it could be both creepy and dangerous. He doesn't need to steal her identity or even her credit card number.

I'm sure the vast majority of Disney CMs are good honest people and this is a highly unlikely scenario but it only takes one bad seed. Why make that kind of info available to people who don't need it to do their job.
agree, considering this happened with the supposed "top security" contractor (aka the TSA). where known pedophiles were hired.. felons too..
not exactly a good feeling when a guy who might have raped 5 kids; is now groping me in the name of "security". Bad seeds can enter anywhere...

and here we go
I think the problem is.. you're shrugging real dangers like they dont exist man...
While I agree in the other side.. some people can be paranoic.. but this isnt about paranoia, its real stuff.

This is getting laughable....well all I can say is stay home and be safe....(might want to get rid of your cell phone, definitely get offline, and move to a cave in a third world)....I'll be in the parks having fun with my family
considering the huge constitution, privacy and other rights erosions in the name of "security".. I dont think your home will be even secure and safe in the future.

I stopped worrying about the confidentiality of personal information after seeing Spielberg's Minority Report. The advertising concepts in that movie (personalized advertisements based off of individual purchasing habits/patterns) was a true concept being considered at the time via think tanks. And viola! Magic bands!

Seriously though, once this had become an "official" launch, would TWDC be required to publish how the data will be used? Is that a requirement by law? It sounds like it should be.

I have unfortunately succumbed to the fact that most personal information in the future will be obtainable because of the devious nature inherent in most IT technologies. Probably the only way to maintain some degree of privacy will be to buy a certain amount of privacy. Congrats to the top 1%!
or live in a cave.. with a pile of scraps!!! (bonus to whoever gets the ref)

lazyboy97o

but why are we so scared? seriously? think of all the places we enter, write down, type, etc. our names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, or take it a step further give our credit card numbers, hand our credit cards to waiters/waitresses, etc. etc.

what makes some so scared that a CM at the Disney/Magic Kingdom emporium might do some criminal act that they couldn't do today if they really wanted to
One extreme example would be pedophiles who now can know a family's detailed plans for their vacation. They do work at Walt Disney World and several have been caught but there are likely a few more who have not yet been caught. The Morocco Pavilion has also gained an unfortunate reputation due to the frequency in which some male Cast Members engage in with female guests in an inappropriate manner. So yes, it does happen now and is a concern. Opening access in no way offers a potential to fix this issue. None.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know I have in multiple transactions and it was not optional, If you have an AP or Premier Passport they scan drivers license magstripe which INCLUDES SSN as part of 'Real ID'

Not

And most states have moved from having SSN on your ID years ago. Needing to validate SSN for getting a ID that meets Real ID standards does not mean your SSN is on the card. Just like they need to validate your address, but your utility bill isn't on your ID either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One extreme example would be pedophiles who now can know a family's detailed plans for their vacation. They do work at Walt Disney World and several have been caught but there are likely a few more who have not yet been caught. The Morocco Pavilion has also gained an unfortunate reputation due to the frequency in which some male Cast Members engage in with female guests in an inappropriate manner. So yes, it does happen now and is a concern. Opening access in no way offers a potential to fix this issue. None.

I am very protective of my kid's privacy. A lot more so than mine. When they were in preschool we didn't sign the waiver allowing their pictures to appear on the school face book page. I'm sure most people think I'm crazy, but I don't really care. For my own privacy I'm a little less concerned but I still don't have a FB page. I know I'm in the minority their too, but it's my choice to share or not to share that info.

The Morocco situation is exactly what I was referencing with my example about the over ambitious CM seeking female company.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's really paranoia. If someone is that paranoid they should never leave their own house with their children.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not

And most states have moved from having SSN on your ID years ago. Needing to validate SSN for getting a ID that meets Real ID standards does not mean your SSN is on the card. Just like they need to validate your address, but your utility bill isn't on your ID either.

I was skeptical of this at first, but I have found a few references online to a couple states having the SSN in the barcode/magstripe. it's not many states, but it's a few, New York for example. It's also interesting to note that the Real ID specification explicitly says the the SSN cannot be human readable on the id card, but doesn't make such a statement about it's use in machine readable content.

http://turbulence.org/Works/swipe/mainTable.html

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was skeptical of this at first, but I have found a few references online to a couple states having the SSN in the barcode/magstripe. it's not many states, but it's a few, New York for example. It's also interesting to note that the Real ID specification explicitly says the the SSN cannot be human readable on the id card, but doesn't make such a statement about it's use in machine readable content.

http://turbulence.org/Works/swipe/mainTable.html

The magstrip or 2D code were not introduced by Real ID, nor does Real ID Act dictate the SSN be included at all on the ID. The fact that SSN is still on some IDs is a state ID issue that is not related to Real ID, existing before RealID, and does not go beyond the IDs with the legacy issue. The fact that some IDs have the SSN on them still does not mean everyone is exposing their SSN when their license is scanned. Again it's ford91explorer taking something with a sliver of truth, extrapolating and misapplying the fact to create FUD.

WDWDad13

Would you go about handing each of your family members' daily itinerary to people on the street?

So Disney employees are now just "people on the street?" Main Street is a little different than a corner in downtown Orlando

Besides lots of people that work for Disney knows some of our itineraries now right?

Goofyernmost

Oh, come on. First off in order for a pedophile to achieve his/her goal they have to be in the right place at the right time. They have to be able to act on a situation that allows them "personal" access to the child. That cannot be done via computer. Even if you know a kid is lets say in Morocco since you used that as an example, does that mean that 1) the perp. has access and opportunity? or 2) they even know what the kid looks like in a sea of kids? I suppose they could ask the kid his/her social security number to make sure they have the right one. This isn't even an argument. It's unadulterated unthought-out paranoia. Must either be a full moon or Walmart had a Black Friday sale on Tin Hats.

Since the situation with the male CM's and the female guests are a matter of personal contact at the time and when the opportunity presented itself (which isn't always there) opening access in no way offers any assistance. None! Again how do they even identify the person that they are tracking via this evil system. Does it also contain pictures?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The magstrip or 2D code were not introduced by Real ID, nor does Real ID Act dictate the SSN be included at all on the ID. The fact that SSN is still on some IDs is a state ID issue that is not related to Real ID, existing before RealID, and does not go beyond the IDs with the legacy issue. The fact that some IDs have the SSN on them still does not mean everyone is exposing their SSN when their license is scanned. Again it's ford91explorer taking something with a sliver of truth, extrapolating and misapplying the fact to create FUD.

Agreed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I guess its time to shut this one down. 65 pages which can be summarized in a few sentences. A bogus story is posted by a site known to be biased against WDW. Resident insiders confirmed that they got a lot of the story wrong. End of story. All that in less than 10 pages. The other 55 pages are the same old arguments for or against magic bands. Nothing at all new here and it's no longer news or rumors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom