MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is getting laughable....well all I can say is stay home and be safe....(might want to get rid of your cell phone, definitely get offline, and move to a cave in a third world)....I'll be in the parks having fun with my family

I don't recall any place in this thread where the security risks of cell phone and internet use were being discussed, maybe I missed it? This is a Disney Parks board, thus the discussion of data security at Disney. I find it very unlikely that the people who are concerned about the security of their data at Disney aren't also concerned about it in these other places, but a Disney message board is not a appropriate place for those discussions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is getting laughable....well all I can say is stay home and be safe....(might want to get rid of your cell phone, definitely get offline, and move to a cave in a third world)....I'll be in the parks having fun with my family

So you are just going to take your ball and go home;). It's OK for people to have different opinions. This place would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything.

I have plenty of fun with my family in the parks. I used the bands and had very few issues with them. I just find certain aspects of the new system to be flawed and IMHO there are easy fixes to address some of them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
GR would be a place where I would assume they had and needed FULL access to my guest profile so they COULD help me and in the past only GR and Hotel staff had Full access.

A MM+ attendant, a turnstile staffer the roaming iPad brigade only needs Name, Ticket entitlement and FP+ information but now all that data is scattered from here to h--l and back.

Again, it's a fine line. What if a guest goes to use their Fastpass at HM and it doesn't work. It might be useful for the CM there to see that the reason is didn't work is that the Fastpass was actually for Pirates not HM. Security is never an absolute, there is always a trade off between security and efficiency/usability.

CDavid

Then don't go, get rid of your cell phone, internet connection, and live in a cave in tora bora....it's the world we live in now everywhere. Disney had/has plenty of access to our info before mm+

That doesn't solve the problem, it just avoids it (rather poorly), and consider just what you are asking people to give up to protect their own expectations of privacy. Is that really a reasonable solution?

Wouldn't it be so much more productive if, when we have a problem with something or see something that just isn't right, we speak up and make our objections known. People are far, far too willing anymore to just accept things as they are. In addition to relating to The Walt Disney Company directly, if only there was somewhere online - some kind of forum or message board maybe - where we could discuss Disney park related matters...

If your grievances still aren't addressed, then its up to you whether to give the company any more of your money or how to proceed. Should you feel it necessary I would think perhaps paying in cash and taking a RFID card instead of a band (not a perfect remedy, granted) might be a bit more reasonable than giving up on the modern world altogether.

WDWDad13

I don't recall any place in this thread where the security risks of cell phone and internet use were being discussed, maybe I missed it? This is a Disney Parks board, thus the discussion of data security at Disney. I find it very unlikely that the people who are concerned about the security of their data at Disney aren't also concerned about it in these other places, but a Disney message board is not a appropriate place for those discussions.

If we were worried about things staying on topic, well, we wouldn't have half of this mess on these boards

WDWDad13

So you are just going to take your ball and go home;). It's OK for people to have different opinions. This place would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything.

I have plenty of fun with my family in the parks. I used the bands and had very few issues with them. I just find certain aspects of the new system to be flawed and IMHO there are easy fixes to address some of them.

Na I'm not going anywhere....except to Disney world in a week from now to have a great time. Oh geez I shouldn't have said that. Now someone on these boards now knows I won't be home and will rob me blind....I blame Disney and MM+

WDWDad13

That doesn't solve the problem, it just avoids it (rather poorly), and consider just what you are asking people to give up to protect their own expectations of privacy. Is that really a reasonable solution?

Wouldn't it be so much more productive if, when we have a problem with something or see something that just isn't right, we speak up and make our objections known. People are far, far too willing anymore to just accept things as they are. In addition to relating to The Walt Disney Company directly, if only there was somewhere online - some kind of forum or message board maybe - where we could discuss Disney park related matters...

If your grievances still aren't addressed, then its up to you whether to give the company any more of your money or how to proceed. Should you feel it necessary I would think perhaps paying in cash and taking a RFID card instead of a band (not a perfect remedy, granted) might be a bit more reasonable than giving up on the modern world altogether.

Hey don't get me wrong....I don't LIKE any of this stuff that happens all around us but...welcome to the 21st century

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Again, it's a fine line. What if a guest goes to use their Fastpass at HM and it doesn't work. It might be useful for the CM there to see that the reason is didn't work is that the Fastpass was actually for Pirates not HM. Security is never an absolute, there is always a trade off between security and efficiency/usability.

I mentioned in OP that frontline CM's SHOULD be able to see FP+ information - they need it after all so they can help you, They don't need anything else though. Restaurants should be able to see Dining related information, but not FP+ entitlements.

WDWDad13

Clever Name

Since you are so unconcerned I recommend that you post your name, SSN, CC#, Income, Employer, DOB, Mothers maiden name, Address and all phone numbers on a internet accessible bulletin board somewhere in Bulgaria and watch the goodness flow.
screen-shot-2010-03-09-at-120841-pm.png

LifeLock CEO’s Identity Stolen 13 Times http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/lifelock-identity-theft/

WDWDad13

I GUARANTEE that more people lose their credit cards today in Disney world and have them used by someone else then will EVER be subjected to criminal acts by Disney CM accessing information on a rubber wrist band

a magic band with credit card info on it, no one can use it without a pin....so this is a positive right or are we not allowed to discuss that?

Mammymouse

THIS was the biggest loss incurred by NGE/MM+ Before Disney was a happy place where you could be a kid again with your family, The real world was left at the gates of Disney for a while and you could share a happy time with your family without worries.

Now the real world has intruded big time into Disney and the experience has been severely impacted because of it, If someone had told me 3 years ago that I would be worrying about data security at Disney I would have said they were insane. Turns out they were prophetic - very sad and the world grows a little more grey because of it.

That's why I said in a previous post that to me wearing the magic band is a constant glaring reminder of all this. Also didn't Mr. Iger have to go before Congress to testify about all this privacy, etc. because it involved minors using the system? I believe it was a Mass. Congressman doing the questioning.

WDWDad13

That's why I said in a previous post that to me wearing the magic band is a constant glaring reminder of all this. Also didn't Mr. Iger have to go before Congress to testify about all this privacy, etc. because it involved minors using the system? I believe it was a Mass. Congressman doing the questioning.

And we all know how much the government cares about data mining lol. That was just a PR stunt anyways

flyerjab

I stopped worrying about the confidentiality of personal information after seeing Spielberg's Minority Report. The advertising concepts in that movie (personalized advertisements based off of individual purchasing habits/patterns) was a true concept being considered at the time via think tanks. And viola! Magic bands!

Seriously though, once this had become an "official" launch, would TWDC be required to publish how the data will be used? Is that a requirement by law? It sounds like it should be.

I have unfortunately succumbed to the fact that most personal information in the future will be obtainable because of the devious nature inherent in most IT technologies. Probably the only way to maintain some degree of privacy will be to buy a certain amount of privacy. Congrats to the top 1%!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom