MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Goofyernmost

You seriously don't think that just because Disney throws tons of money at a stupid idea that it will be allowed to spiral forever do you?

The real issue with MME is it is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Guests spent plenty without MME and it isn't going to keep them out of the Universal Parks. DME didn't keep guests out of Universal either.

Does anyone remember the Walt Disney World Speedway and what a colossal mess that turned out to be for both theme park guests and Indy patrons. First MK guests had to park at Epcot facilitate Indy goers, then when MK guests rebelled Indy guests had to park at Epcot. Traffic was a nightmare each way ticking off both groups.

Indy races from 1996-2000 before Disney admitted defeat and ended professional racing.

Decades of spending countless dollars at DTD property Disney still doesn't know how to define that property and make it stick, the cycle continues and Springs likely won't be worth the investment.

Big or Small Disney makes costly blunders. Stitches Supersonic Celebration Stage show, Opened in May 2009 and closed June 2009.

Disney Discovery River Boat attraction at AK, what it lasted a few months? Learned nothing from the Swan Boats that went no where either.

Disney has plenty of Fails under their belts. MME just might be the one to tank Iger's legacy. Over 1.5 billion and still counting.

This one I do think they will stick out until it works, because, it will work, maybe not completely the way the envisioned it, but, they will get it to work within reason.

You are listing Theme Park attempts with no where near the investment individually as this one. This is not, in my opinion, strictly a theme park enhancement, this is much bigger then that. DCA didn't work, they didn't close it down they invested millions more into it and made it viable. Disney is more than just Theme Parks, they are a widely diversified entity. Just because it is being tested first in a Disney Theme park does not mean that is their entire agenda. It is like killing two birds with one stone (sorry PITA), something new that they can refine in their own parks and then line up others to join in when it is at a marketable point.

Disclaimer: I am, like everyone else strictly speculating. But there is something about this that screams big time returns for a brand new technology. There are bugs aplenty, but they will get worked out over time. They went into this probably feeling that it wouldn't be this bug ridden and that they thought of everything ahead of time, but, they obviously didn't. Edison didn't invent the workable light bulb on the first try either.

raymusiccity

This one I do think they will stick out until it works, because, it will work, maybe not completely the way the envisioned it, but, they will get it to work within reason.

You are listing Theme Park attempts with no where near the investment individually as this one. This is not, in my opinion, strictly a theme park enhancement, this is much bigger then that. DCA didn't work, they didn't close it down they invested millions more into it and made it viable. Disney is more than just Theme Parks, they are a widely diversified entity. Just because it is being tested first in a Disney Theme park does not mean that is their entire agenda. It is like killing two birds with one stone (sorry PITA), something new that they can refine in their own parks and then line up others to join in when it is at a marketable point.

Disclaimer: I am, like everyone else strictly speculating. But there is something about this that screams big time returns for a brand new technology. There are bugs aplenty, but they will get worked out over time. They went into this probably feeling that it wouldn't be this bug ridden and that they thought of everything ahead of time, but, they obviously didn't. Edison didn't invent the workable light bulb on the first try either.

--------------------------

Ironically, Edison's early light bulbs lasted too long. Who wants to sell a product once. They need to burn out regularly !

"Origins: Today you'll find a remarkable light bulb burning bright at a fire station in Livermore, California. It hasn't been turned off since 1901, shining around the clock (save for a
lightbul.jpg
few brief interruptions) for nearly one million hours now.

The Guinness Book of World Records, Ripley's Believe It Or Not and General Electric agree the four-watt, carbon filament bulb is the longest-living in history, despite two moves and a few power outages during its lifetime.

The bulb was donated to the department in 1901 by Dennis Bernal, a pioneer in the area who owned the Livermore Power and Light Co. It was hung as a night light (so firefighters wouldn't have to fumble around with lighting kerosene lamps) in a downtown garage that served as both a police and fire department five years before the great San Francisco earthquake and fire in 1906. A few years later, the bulb found its way to the "new" City Hall that also housed the two departments, and in 1976 it was moved two miles from the old Fire Department headquarters to Station No. 6. (The 1976 move, during which the bulb was out for a total of 22 minutes, was the last interruption to the long-lived light's otherwise constant shining. It now enjoys the security of a surge protector
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/science/lightbulb.asp#OCWXJWLVldRckkYE.99

janoimagine

Except it would have been called the Michael Eisner company - not twdc

His ego and dictatorship would have continued to run out talent
Do you think it's any worse than what were facing now? All the truly good talent like the Baxters, Sotos and Skylars are long gone ... I am not overly impressed with todays imagineers.

It seems like a political game and not a creative one.

Jimmy Thick

MM+, like it or not is and will be the future standard for all things theme park/hospitality. What Disney is accomplishing is updating an ancient and tired PoS infrastructure into something modern and ultimately personalizing a vacation like no other has or will. You cannot make an omelet without cracking a few eggs, and if MM+ is behind in the development stage so be it, it will be worth it when implementation is complete.

I highly doubt anything was canceled like "reported" by Micechat due to the simple fact any new areas, specifically a Star Wars area will more than likely be designed around MM+ as a drawing card.

MM+ is bigger than anyone can think or speculate about, bigger than anything Universal will produce in the next ten years, and attendance will prove than point splendidly.

Jimmy Thick- Funny how people thought Eisner was the devil and now wish he was back...Hilarious...

CDavid

This pretty much sums it up right here for all MM+ naysayers

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

There is a world of difference between "curiosity keeps leading us down new paths" and "selfishness and greed are leading us to stampede over a cliff or into a brick wall".

janoimagine

MM+ is bigger than anyone can think or speculate about, bigger than anything Universal will produce in the next ten years, and attendance will prove than point splendidly.

Having experienced MM+ last week for 8+ days, and working with MM+ prior to arriving on property, and taking confidential surveys on the concept more than 3 years ago, I couldn't diagree more. It's taking 10 year old tech (a variation on Mobil's speed pass, pay at the pump) adding room access, park tickets and using it to try and re-distribuit crowd levels because of a stagnation of new entertainment and attractions.

Our bands worked great, no issues at all ... but it was far from a magical way to pay for dining and gifts ... and in reality its a cheap, plastic wrist band (which gives you a great tan line too) ... as an adult getting dressed up for a meal at the Cali Grill with my wife, the last thing I wanted to do was wear it. So we stuffed them in our bags, or I put it on my camera strap.

If you like to plan your vacations down to the most minute, detail ... then eventually it could be perfect for you.

People can spin it all they want, but it the fact remains that it is a long, long way from being the next great thing in the Theme Park Industry ... if it ever even becomes that.

tl77

Yeah, that is true. I don't necessarily believe DL folk hate any and everything WDW does, though.

I'm not saying everyone is that way but a lot of the people on Miceage seem to be very, very, pro Disneyland, to the detriment of WDW

This internet, fan-website, generated "article" seems to imply that because the Magic Band thing in Florida maybe is not such a great idea that some how this will lead to projects in Anaheim being canceled, but there is any number of reasons a project gets cancelled or put on hold.

Cesar R M

I'm not saying everyone is that way but a lot of the people on Miceage seem to be very, very, pro Disneyland, to the detriment of WDW

This internet, fan-website, generated "article" seems to imply that because the Magic Band thing in Florida maybe is not such a great idea that some how this will lead to projects in Anaheim being canceled, but there is any number of reasons a project gets cancelled or put on hold.
namely the 2 billion waste? yep... XD

Californian Elitist

I don't think MiceChat would publish articles solely dedicated to WDW if there was genuine hate for it.

Given the program cost the company billions of dollars, its failure leading to budget cuts, cancellations, etc. is not far=fetched. The article isn't blaming Florida, it's blaming My Magic and Fastpass+.

lazyboy97o

I don't think MiceChat would publish articles solely dedicated to WDW if there was genuine hate for it.

Given the program cost the company billions of dollars, its failure leading to budget cuts, cancellations, etc. is not far=fetched. The article isn't blaming Florida, it's blaming My Magic and Fastpass+.
The Disneyland fans at MiceChat seem to be in complete ands total denial that Disneyland is not something special that is unaffected by other issues in the company.

donaldtoo

I don't think I'd equate the invention of the light bulb to a theme park wrist band, etc., but, I could be proven VERY wrong down the road, of course...
When should I expect the government to strongly suggest I use their new "LifeBand", or my life might not go quite as "smoothly" as I'd like it to and I might not receive certain preferred experiences and "benefits"?

Californian Elitist

The Disneyland fans at MiceChat seem to be in complete ands total denial that Disneyland is not something special that is unaffected by other issues in the company.

True. They feel entitled to special and brand new things, since it's the original. People there are complaining we're not getting anything new... When we just got DCA 2.0 and new offerings in DL. It's ridiculous.

donaldtoo

Do you think it's any worse than what were facing now? All the truly good talent like the Baxters, Sotos and Skylars are long gone ... I am not overly impressed with todays imagineers.

It seems like a political game and not a creative one.

Yep. One big giant ego-driven "Wizzapalooza".
They wizz all over each other and then we "Guests" get the "trickle down"...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom