MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

SoupBone

I dont think they can ... no amount of spin can change the fact that this is turning into a run-away train.

All aboard the Disney crazy train, sponsored by Ozzy Osborne (not related to the Osbournes obviously).

tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif

pmaljr

We were there the week of 11/9-11/16. The line for TT was also this long one day. There were three reasons for it that day that I saw. One is a crowd control issue, where people are in the same line for two different things (FP+ and Single Rider) and weren't sure what to do. The second was the ride had been re-opened after a long closure (~45 minutes). FP+ policy lets you either pick another FP+ ride or ride TT itself after it reopens for any time period left after it opens until the end of the day. So, if the ride re-opens, and people really want to ride TT, you will see a line like this, especially in FW where there aren't a ton of rides to begin with. Third, based on what I saw at Soarin, TT, Splash Mountain, and BTMR, people still linger at the front of the FP+ line waiting for their time to arrive, often getting in the line and holding people up behind them, as they did with FP. So, all that put together was combining to cause the line like you see in the picture. That line cleared up within about 20 minutes that day as the "rush" subsided.

Figments Friend

I visited Disneyland 2 weeks ago, and I am heading back in 2 weeks. What a breath of fresh air. I hadn't been to DLR since 2011. I don't subscribe to the Pixie dust - I do Disney vacations because they are fun, not simply because they are Disney. I don't care whose logo is on the ticket, as long as I get to have fun.

Amen, brother.
Disneyland is now where the action is for this WDW 'lifer' now too.
Used to visit WDW regularly, but DL has all of my interest now.
A much more relaxed and entertaining experience when compared to the hoops one has to jump through now to visit WDW.

I have visited WDW fairly regularly since 1980, and over the past 10 to 15 years a LOT has changed there and not all for the better.
I see a lot of the changes mostly in the attitudes in the marketing and overall Guest Experience in regards to actually booking/planning a visit.
Today it is absolutely overwhelming for a new Guest coming to WDW to do...and very confusing too. The whole MM- thing increases that unfortunately for some.

Visiting DL was indeed a 'breath of fresh air' as you put it...and reminded me of the simpler 'day in a park' visits going to MK or EPCOT used to be back in the day.

Re-visited DL this past September, when i normally visit WDW. I ditched those plans and chose DL instead as it held a lot more appeal for me for various reasons.
I am in love with the place now...and it seriously helped put some things in perspective.
A part of me can almost label myself as a 'ex WDW Lifer', but i am still very attached to EPCOT. One of these days though...it might well happen.

Now i am making plans for next year, and even though i have a four-day pass to WDW ( and could visit 'for free' ) i am not overly interested.
Never thought i would ever say those words about my old 'home base'....but it is a new world now.
I have seen the light.
Disneyland is calling...and i want to answer!
I am hoping other WDW vets give it a try.

I recommend a visit to Disneyland Resort for those thinking about going back to WDW in the next couple of years.
Do yourself a favor, and invest in DL right now instead. Lots happening out there these days.
Go back to WDW in a few years when their might actually be some exciting NEW addiitons to make it worth your while.

:)

Last edited:

Clever Name

Is anyone else skeptical about the accuracy of this reporting? None of the projects reported here as cancelled or placed on hold had even been confirmed or given a tentative start date. There are no sources cited, at all. The whole thing sounds like a hit piece against MyMagicPlus that uses rumors and counter-rumors as evidence.
Indeed. I don't consider the article to be reporting at all. It is story telling and the author(s) obviously used prevailing sentiments within the fan community as focal points to churn up hatred and discontent.

Goofnut1980

I think like a lot of companies (mine included) they decide to just "roll" stuff out all at once instead of improving on what they have.. They try to re-invent the wheel.
What was wrong with the Key to the World card? You could easily add things to it like swiping it for FP... I just think they wanted something fresh but ended up costing money and there was no gain.

WDWFanDave

A sober read.

http://micechat.com/49401-my-magic-plus-failure/

(links to another site but given the content and possible ramifications I thought it deserves as wide a readership as possible)

Martin-thank you for the link, and as always for your kind responses to the posts here.

I'm not surprised, but am thoroughly disgusted. Lived through the MM+ mess in September. And was particularly disappointed in so many things this trip...and now, it appears as though there may end up being little reason to return. I certainly won't book a trip there with the new MM+ restrictions on FP; Disney Springs will not provide incentive; although not yet shelved...can it be far off that Avatar goes quietly into the night? I believe @WDW1974 said it best last year, over and over...things are going to get far worse before they ever get better...and dammit, it appears as though he was correct.

So, again, a sincere thank you. I don't follow MiceAge very often, and appreciate the link and insight.

Sue_Vongello

Anyone who has continued to give WDW money and defended Disney's decisions for the resort since the early 00s are absolutely responsible for this. Continued loyalty gave management the confidence to cut attractions, add more DVC, and waste money on stupid gimmicks like MM+

The problem is much larger.

I don't have data to make a solid blanket statement about the dumbing down of America but the evidence we do have is fairly damning ... I mean every time I see a reality show like Honey Boo Boo/The Kardashians/or whatever morally bankrupt show rocket to success I have to question the direction we are going as humans ... I think the "standards" we demand in many aspects of our lives has regressed. It's only natural that those effects are felt at WDW ... so yea, of course, people are to blame.

It's simple, if the execs didn't think people would accept it, then they wouldn't do it.

And in reality, I can't blame the execs totally for exploiting that. However, I do think it's shortsighted because yes there is a large section of people that will hand out money regardless of quality ... BUT there is another segment that does care about quality ... WHY NOT GO AFTER BOTH?! You know you have the one, now go get the other ... sigh ...

dreamscometrue

Last edited:

magicallactose

... although not yet shelved...can it be far off that Avatar goes quietly into the night? ..

I highly doubt they would attempt to cancel Avatar outright this far into the game. Yes, I know Disney has revealed concept art in the past without following through, but Avatar seems to be backed fully by Iger.
I think the bigger concern should be if they value-engineer this thing into the ground.

aladdin2007

Give it time.. I am sure they are this close to closing down something popular to add more princess meet and greets for the 4 year old girls, since this is all they know how to do in WDW...

yes out with imagination, in with a new princess pavilion between mexico and norway. not that imagination is popular by any means in its current form,,,,but now I guess the princess pavilion is up in the air since all this news.

i agree its all the seem to know how to do, cause its cheaper

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know Martin well enough that he's never put bad info out in the past 9-10 years.

Yes, I'd love to see al lutz attribute this information but people who leak this stuff out would be fired if caught.
Thank you.

I thought it was of enough severity to repost and let people make their minds up. Personally, given what I've been told the last six months by various people from the bottom of the CM stock upwards both in and out of the company it wouldn't surprise me if most if not all had some validity. Trust me, I wish it didn't, and even more so I wish they'd followed the new Comcast plan of action that Disney used to do the best instead of this journey. I'd be surprised if Avland was impacted more than a protracted development (even more so than the painfully slow progress so far) since it's nearly beyond the point of no return both financially, operationally and basically to save face. Same for Disney Springs, though that has the added excuse of third party money. As for the rest.... like I said I hope its misinformation. But I really personally wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

Sue_Vongello

Thank you.

I thought it was of enough severity to repost and let people make their minds up. Personally, given what I've been told the last six months by various people from the bottom of the CM stock upwards both in and out of the company it wouldn't surprise me if most if not all had some validity. Trust me, I wish it didn't, and even more so I wish they'd followed the new Comcast plan of action that Disney used to do the best instead of this journey. I'd be surprised if Avland was impacted more than a protracted development (even more so than the painfully slow progress so far) since it's nearly beyond the point of no return both financially, operationally and basically to save face. Same for Disney Springs, though that has the added excuse of third party money. As for the rest.... like I said I hope its misinformation. But I really personally wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

It's a fair article and like I stated earlier there is enough evidence out there that is tangible that we can see that those who are looking at it logically will see the validity in this article.

It comes down to, what I have said countless times, those who want to face the reality and those who prefer to live in the Matrix ... neither group is better than the other, it's just how we choose to view the world ... fantasy or reality.

raymusiccity

Well there it is folks. I blame no one but myself for thinking star wars would be moved ahead to compete with universal. Again it is abundantly clear they are going after guests who demand the least, spend the most and will keep thinking that meet and greets are attractions. I can't wait to see universal for the first time in well over a decade.

'Meet and Greets' sure seem like attractions to the crowds that constantly wait in line for them. When the princesses were taking up the Opera House as their main dwelling place, they always were more attention getting than the big cheese himself ! Ariel's Grotto has the presence and eye for detail than many 'attractions' do at Uni.

janoimagine

MM+ is turning in to a black mark on Iger's tenure for sure, but I think the kicker for me last trip was witnessing the night they had the christmas party, they were also charging for a fireworks dessert party. To some this seems like no big deal, to me it seemed to take corporate greed to a new level, and reminded me of the North Pole Scene in The Santa Clause 3.

Figments Friend

-

Quite disappointing but not at all surprising considering the insane amount of money being invested in this MM- business.
Not surprised, but still disheartening that my fears about capex being pulled from other projects/sources to feed into this unfortunate folly seems to be coming to pass.

A pity that other projects and Parks will be effected by this blemish on the horizon....but, maybe ...in some way, this might have a happy ending?

Uh .....yeah, about that.......

BryceM

Ariel's Grotto has the presence and eye for detail than many 'attractions' do at Uni.
Many attractions at Uni have the presence and eye for detail than many of those at Disney. Both have their high and low points when it comes to details and "presence".

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom