MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

ToTBellHop

Suddenly, everyone will be excited about Avatar, since it's the only thing we'll be getting stateside this decade...although I wouldn't be surprised if the nighttime show becomes 3 stiltwalkers and Glow with the Show ears (that's all the concept art really confirmed, so...).

lazyboy97o

that's an interesting question (about DLP) - does anyone know how well the overseas parks do compared to those in US? It seems they have been putting A LOT of money in new parks overseas and not much into, well at least the one in Florida
Which parks are seeing significant investment? Hong Kong Disneyland's expansion was forced by the Government of Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure Ratatouille was approved by the banks before The Walt Disney Company purchased Euro Disney SCA's debt.

I doubt Ego has much to do with it - it's probably more about where the dollars can be justified and return on those dollars. Facing the music on expenses vs future revenues. I'd wager they lose a lot more sleep over that than worrying about if MM+ will be a 'edsel' comment 10-15 years from now.
I don't even think it is a worry being an "Edsel" moment. The entire MyMagic+ affair is starting to look like a case of groupthink. Nobody wants to challenge the system that has become a darling of the business media.

Ignohippo

Can they revert back quickly and easily? Given Disney's issues with technology projects, I would not be surprised if going back is not much of an option. There is also the issue of ego. MyMagic+ was the thing that was to redefine the Disney theme park experience. It is Iger's stamp on the domestic parks and their has never been a strong belief that the big, expensive attractions really drive the parks.

After all, WWoHP didn't do anything for Universal. EE didn't finally make AK a respectable theme park. CarsLand didn't improve CA's numbers....

Sarcasm, of course.

Ariel484

@wdisney9000 - guy in the grey shirt/jeans is the last person in the FP+ line and the super long one on the left is single rider, right?
WnDEdit-271.jpg

Or is it all one line? Just curious.

Ignohippo

Which parks are seeing significant investment? Hong Kong Disneyland's expansion was forced by the Government of Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure Ratatouille was approved by the banks before The Walt Disney Company purchased Euro Disney SCA's debt.

I don't even think it is a worry being an "Edsel" moment. The entire MyMagic+ affair is starting to look like a case of groupthink. Nobody wants to challenge the system that has become a darling of the business media.

The renovation of DCA, CarsLand, the FLE, and Avatar (and even Disney Springs) are all major investments. Say what you will, but he really hasn't had a problem spending money (the above, plus Marvel and LucasFilm).

It sounds to me like he has simply respected the wishes of TDO (more than likely with the bad advice from Rasulo). TDA has asked for money for expansion and he's opened the checkbook. If it weren't for NextGen, we'd more than likely be seeing even more spending in Anaheim. Not so in Orlando. TDO doesn't have the same philosophy and doesn't want to spend money.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
@wdisney9000 - guy in the grey shirt/jeans is the last person in the FP+ line and the super long one on the left is single rider, right?
WnDEdit-271.jpg

Or is it all one line? Just curious.
No, they guy in grey was just standing there. I took the pic from BACK of FP line. A lot of people confused and standing around, or maybe waiting on family perhaps. Many people complaining in line

Sped2424

I assumed this means avatarland most likely wont start construction, or be put on hold? Or just move at apace that is mind numbing.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Meh... I don't see it being a significant topic of conversation/debate/criticism about the company outside the fan community. It barely gets mention in analyst topics/etc. It's acknowledged, but no one seems to be betting Disney's 5-10 year outlook on it yet. In short.. I think Disney has managed to keep the exposure for it mostly internal. If MM+ went away tomorrow - I doubt we'd see a CNBC 60sec segment on it :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom