Message Board Gripe

WDWFanatic

There are alot of people on here who are desktop critics or think they are a moderator for this site. They have to post something just so their number goes higher. Or we have the people who say negative stuff to you and then put this after it :wave: to say dont attack me back. There is alot of garbage on here and i get tired of it too.

Im also tired of the threads no one bothers to search the forums for and has to post a new thread like they are the first to come up with the topic. For instance Monorail expansion or any of the new mountains they think will be built. Take five seconds to do a search!!!

And if you are going to post a reply after this and add the wave just because i said something about it then you are one of the people im talking about.

Nebrfan

Did you ever hear the story about the person who loved roses? Whenever she saw a rose she would just sigh and wish someone would send them to her since she couldn't afford them. Then one day she became rich and retired, and decided to grow a rose garden. Her goal was to grow the perfect rose. However, each one had a little flaw and she became increasingly frustrated because she couldn't get one just like she wanted. Eventually she became so frustrated she ended up hating roses and vowed to never look at one as long as she lived!!!

Ok, maybe this is a bad anology. But the first time or two we went to Disney most all of us probably loved it and kept going back. Then as we went on little things changed- regardless if it was for the better or worse-- and it wasn't exactly like we remembered. Some people like change and others don't. You can find this in most aspects of life. It's just that these message boards give people a place to vent in a forum they wouldn't otherwise have. There is no way to keep everyone happy. If Disney hadn't changed since 1971 it would be a laughingstock. The problem is that it's impossible to please everyone. Plus, ala the rose analogy, we notice things we wouldn't have originally noticed. I don't like the negativity unless it's constructive.
However, if I don't like something I can always choose to spend my dollars elsewhere.

cb3k

Well, I'd like to take a moment to point out how sick I am of posts pointing out other people being sick of the negativity in the threads. You think someone's behaving poorly? Tell them then and there! I'm not saying resort to personal attacks or let things devolve into cyber Yo-Momma fights. I'm saying have the cojones to tell someone "you're out of line." Let them either apologize and rephrase their position (once in a while people don't even know they're acting like loads unless it's pointed out), OR let them defend their position (maybe, JUST maybe, they have every right to have the position they have and you're just being thin-skinned), OR let them spin further downward in their own negativity so everyone knows to ignore them (you point out someone for being obnoxious, they say "eff you, you're stupid," or something of that ilk, you and everyone else hopefully knows not to bother responding to their posts again).

It always sucks when things go too far and feelings get hurt, but honestly, I'd rather have that happen once in a while than this be a forum of nothing but unanimous agreement where every opinion is sterilized and homogenized to the point of being utterly worthless. If I wanted to be in an enivironment where every single person feels the exact same way as every one else and there's never any friction or debate or dust-ups, I'd join a Heaven's Gate-esque cult. There's a balance between the two extremes, but that means the extremes are explored once in a while. Someone acts like a jackhole, someone else gets their pecs in a twist and wants things to be Pollyanna-ish and everyone else falls in the mushy middle. You want the jackholes to stop, you tell them then and there you're offended and why, put them on the spot and let them prove they can play nice, that they can either make amends or prove you're wrong. And if they can't do that without continuing to be jerks, chances are, they'll be banned before long, either way, you get what you want without coming across as whining that some people are just so gosh-darned mean.
Please tell me that you either have, or are actively pursuing a career in creative writing.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
And more than likely will be for years to come.

The thing is, this is a very large community comprised of many different types of people. You will always come across somebody who is a bit grouchy, can't spell or has poor grammar. There is no way for anyone to judge tone so you have to rely on your knowledge of the poster and if its somebody new, well then what? :shrug: There will always be the person who is not happy unless they are arguing or the returning troublemaker out for more.

We will never all get along so here is my suggestion (take it anyway you will)...

Find a subject that interests you and follow that thread. Give the best info you can and be truthful when answering questions. If you have something positive to add do so, if not then just move along. Report posts you feel are way out of line or are abusive (to you or others), the mods have a lot of threads/posts to cover and can't be everywhere all the time. Be patient.

Learn to let the little things slide (like spelt and spelled :lookaroun ) and when that fails, put the person who drives you insane on IGNORE then you don't have to deal with them. :lol:

When all else fails, shut off the computer and walk away. :cool:

You can do that? :eek:

a negative rant about negative rants:lookaroun

Eggzactly!

JML42691

It is sad, but it is true. I agree with what the OP is saying, if you understand what a person is saying with the typo, then it is fine. The only spelling problem that I have is the "IM Language" (idk, my bff jill), I/We shouldn't have to look up an IM dictionary just to understand what you are saying. But otherwise I don't mind much for typos, if I can read it then there is no problem; for example, look how easy it is to read the following passage with all the typos in it.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelms. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Thessair

I am really not trying to be a smart aleck here, please believe me on that, but this:

Im also tired of the threads no one bothers to search the forums for and has to post a new thread like they are the first to come up with the topic. For instance Monorail expansion or any of the new mountains they think will be built. Take five seconds to do a search!!!

Rather seems to fall under this:

There are alot of people on here who are desktop critics or think they are a moderator for this site.

No one is forcing anyone to read the repeat threads. It does get a bit tiresome, but quite often very new members aren't familiar with the search feature or the fact that topics have come up before. It takes time to get acquainted with the site and its rhythms. Just my $.02.

wdwmomof3

I think that some of the comments are also taken the wrong way and that causes problems, or hurt feelings. It's hard to tell sometimes what is a joke and what is not in email or on these boards, like with the character stalker thing. It was supposed to be a joke but we all took it the wrong way. I guess we need to be more careful with the words that we use. I have looked back at some of the things that I have said and felt that I could have said it better way. Oh well... live and learn.:)

WDWFanatic

I understand there are new people to the boards but every forum has a search and it isnt anything unique to this particular site. Thats what im trying to say.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I would tend to agree that there always seems to be at least some degree of pointless negativity on these forums it is by far the most civil on-line discussion forum, Disney or otherwise, that I have ever been a part of. You want to see negativity, go lurk around a computer overclocking forum for a half hour or so. You will see groups of people get into heated arguments that if they took place in the real world would easily come to blows over a Vcore or a Northbridge voltage setting.

slappy magoo

There are alot of people on here who are desktop critics or think they are a moderator for this site. They have to post something just so their number goes higher. Or we have the people who say negative stuff to you and then put this after it :wave: to say dont attack me back. There is alot of garbage on here and i get tired of it too.

And if you are going to post a reply after this and add the wave just because i said something about it then you are one of the people im talking about.

So what are you saying? If you have criticism, you're only voicing it to add to your post count?

So...only the people who don't post have a right to complain, because they're not adding to their post count?

Help me I'm trying to figure out your point. I like to think my points are valid & lucid & couldn't give a rat's a$$ about my post count, but if you're right, then my post count is ALL I care about. So I have no right to complain. That right? :shrug:

And while I'm not the first to point this out, it is kind of ironic for you to write "I hate when people complain" and then complain about something else. Like it or not, you're one of the negative nellie's you're kvetching about, son.

WDWFanatic

No, you are blowing that way out of proportion. I was saying that people that post "something" for example smiley faces and things that have nothing to do with the topic do so in order to raise their counts. Not actual intellectual opinions regarding the post at hand.

Then there are the people that have to correct everything you do wrong on the boards "backseat moderators" who must let you know every time you spell something incorrect, post in the wrong topic, etc.... Which is what this topic started off speaking about.

You can criticize anything in the posts, thats what they are for.

And i never said i hate when people complain.

Im not negative and im not your "son"

and yes master yoda it is one of the more civil places on the boards. which is why it is one of the only places i choose to belong and donate to.

The Mom

Premium Member
Folks, let's keep things civil, please. (I'm not saying that they AREN'T, but things are starting to simmer. ;) )

I'm afraid that the only "perfect" forum would be limited to one person, with not a whole lot of discussion. :lol:

We all have different posting styles, and we all have posters who drive us crazy. Unfortunately, we've all been both the former and the latter. :lol:

A little bit of tolerance for someone else's shortcomings may be rewarded with someone overlooking yours. Just a thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom