Memories of disneyworld past

Iteachwood

Original Poster
Hi guys. My family and I have been coming to Disneyworld for 25 years, every year since our honeymoon in 1985. Was just thinking bout all the things that we have experienced in those 25 years that are no longer with us and that we miss so much. IE..."clap your hands" show with mickey and goofy and friends at the old Odesey restraunt in Epcot. Thats the huge buildinf entering world showcase that hasnt been used in like 12 years. Used to have the baby center there. But it was a show they had at lunch time while you sat and enjoyed hot dogas etc.

pumpkin7

i've been to WDW 4 times now, love it. i first went with my mom and dad in 1997 when i was 8 years old; the year of the infamous 'tacky' birthday cake. i thought the cake was a great idea, but they could have done it with a little more style. then again, it was 1997 lol.
i really miss the time keeper. i believe that the 'monsters inc laugh floor' is now situated in this building. i think i only ever got to see it once, and i saw the one in DLP aswell. i just loved the way it worked and the actual film was awesome; you never knew where to really look with so much going on. i also liked the fact that the time keeper was voiced by robin williams.

i also liked the original tiki room. not a massive fan of the 'under new management' one, but at least this time i could appreciate the work that had gone into all the animatronics and timing of the show. glad they kept a bit of the original song in there too. i'm not sure where i saw this first, it couldn't have been in 1997 as according to this map, it was shut. saying that, the people mover isn't on here either; but 'mickeys toontown fair! NEW' awww;

http://florida-project.com/images/scanned/wdw25annivguide/wdw-25th-anniversary-guide-1997-20.jpg

Walt Disney1955

20,000 Leagues under the sea. I never understood why that was taken out in the first place.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I loved the effect at the end of the train coming at you, as a kid it's believable. Its a shame they couldn't have fit Pooh in there somehow and kept Toad.

Disneybird

I miss the old Contemporary with the gameroom and movie theatre downstairs. The shops on the 4th floor were more individual and so much better than what's there now.

And I miss Minnie's Minniehuene breakfast at the Polynesian.

And I really miss World of Motion.

But most of all I miss staying in a tower room at the Contemporary for $56 a night. :lol:

sweetpee_1993

I miss the double-decker buses that took you around World Showcase. We'd perch ourselves on top facing the front & pretend we were snooty rich people with a chauffeur. We'd even request the Grey Poupon from each other. :lol:

Miss the awesomeness of the original incarnation of JII & the old Imageworks. That was, hands-down, our favorite Epcot Center stop. We coulda spent all day there.

Miss the old-school embroidery machines in the hat shops. Watching sweet ladies man-handle those huge pieces of machinery to produce the swirly-twirly names that made each pair of mouse ears unique & special...yeah...that was the good stuff.

I miss the sky buckets.

I miss the Penny Arcade.

I miss finding unique treasures in the shops in the different areas of the parks and having not seen all the stuff there already...a dozen or more times...:brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
IE..."clap your hands" show with mickey and goofy and friends at the old Odesey restraunt in Epcot.
You can see some of that show in my Future World 1990 video at my site; click the link in my sig below.
20,000 Leagues under the sea. I never understood why that was taken out in the first place.
Running and maintainence costs, poor capacity.

zurgandfriend

Some of the attractions I remember are;
Like many others, The Skyway in Magic Kingdom
DW loved the collectible shop in Magic Kingdom, now it’s the Town Square Exposition Hall
Food Rocks in Epcot
Superstar TV at MGM, DW got to do the “I love Lucy” one
The Concourse Steakhouse, just a good restaurant to get a meal without a lot of fuss.

rodserling27

Miss the awesomeness of the original incarnation of JII & the old Imageworks.
That goes without saying. Best part of EPCOT Center.

Miss the old-school embroidery machines in the hat shops. Watching sweet ladies man-handle those huge pieces of machinery to produce the swirly-twirly names that made each pair of mouse ears unique & special...yeah...that was the good stuff.

I miss the sky buckets.

I miss the Penny Arcade.

I miss finding unique treasures in the shops in the different areas of the parks and having not seen all the stuff there already...a dozen or more times...:brick:
All great stuff. Such a shame it's all gone now. You and I are on the same wavelegnth here.
Running and maintainence costs, poor capacity.
So why not overhaul like they did Submarine Voyage in Disneyland? I know the DL version had something to do with the monorail structure support, but I don't see why they couldn't effectively come up with a solution for 20k as they did for "Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage."
I mean seriously, a playground?
Pooh's Playful Spot: A playground that simulates a submarine pen filled in with dirt and overrun by Poohbears.

SeaBase86

I miss The Living Seas. The idea of taking a hydrator down to a research center UNDERWATER was great great story-telling and a cool idea. It really felt as though you were at an under water research facility.

I also miss the 1990's version of the backlot tour with residential street.

Few will recall this, but there was a robotic arm show in the old Communicore that was the absolute bomb!! Still love Epcot, but it's not nearly as futuristic as it once was...

durangojim

Few will recall this, but there was a robotic arm show in the old Communicore that was the absolute bomb!! Still love Epcot, but it's not nearly as futuristic as it once was...

Was that the one next to the other two that would draw a portrait of you? I remember those and at the time they seemed so futuristic!

MickeyMind

I miss River Country, the perfect little park for a hot afternoon..

I miss the old contemporary resort layout of the grand concourse level, back before they added the arcade and that ugly a** store right in the middle.

I miss the old skyway

I miss horizons and world of motion, disney doesnt make rides like that anymore.

I miss better food options.

I miss main street west and all the flowers they used to have there.

I miss the trees at the hub.

I miss the backlot tour the way it was originally.

I miss the look of epcot without those ugly purple tarps in future world.

I miss being able to see the mgm theatre without the hat.

I miss seeing characters roaming around the parks without a dedicated meet and greet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom