Memories of disneyworld past

sweetpee_1993

That goes without saying. Best part of EPCOT Center.

All great stuff. Such a shame it's all gone now. You and I are on the same wavelegnth here.

You're absolutely right. Those were the days when you hoped to find the line for JII not backed up out the door. Can't stand the generic merch now. It's so uninteresting. I love to shop but it just isn't much fun when it's always the same stuff on different shelves.

I miss The Living Seas. The idea of taking a hydrator down to a research center UNDERWATER was great great story-telling and a cool idea. It really felt as though you were at an under water research facility.

I also miss the 1990's version of the backlot tour with residential street.

Hydrolators. Worst Disney day ever was the day my mom had a clausterphobic melt-down inside one of those. It was not pretty. I always thought that pre-show movie at Seas was a great intro. It gave the pavilion purpose then invited you to come be part of that purpose. Miss that. Wish my kids could've seen it.

Few will recall this, but there was a robotic arm show in the old Communicore that was the absolute bomb!! Still love Epcot, but it's not nearly as futuristic as it once was...

Was that the one next to the other two that would draw a portrait of you? I remember those and at the time they seemed so futuristic!

I think I remember this. I think. Wasn't there a bank of stations where you could build your own roller coaster than see a simulated ride-thru? I'm sure the first time I ever saw anything like that was in one of the old Communicores.

I miss River Country, the perfect little park for a hot afternoon..

I miss the old contemporary resort layout of the grand concourse level, back before they added the arcade and that ugly a** store right in the middle.

I miss the old skyway

I miss horizons and world of motion, disney doesnt make rides like that anymore.

I miss better food options.

I miss main street west and all the flowers they used to have there.

I miss the trees at the hub.

I miss the backlot tour the way it was originally.

I miss the look of epcot without those ugly purple tarps in future world.

I miss being able to see the mgm theatre without the hat.

I miss seeing characters roaming around the parks without a dedicated meet and greet.

River Country. I always wanted to go there but never got to. So sad. As much as I love to shop, I think I liked the concourse better when it felt more open. The shop in the middle closes in the space. Walking out into the open area really gave a grand feeling. Not so much anymore.

I hear ya on the nicer, more detailed landscaping at MK. There used to be a lot of little fountains & water features here & there. I remember those distinctly because we liked to snitch the silver change out of them. I know. We were horrible. I'd love to go back and kick my own butt on that one.

Never got to see the original backlot or MGM without the BAH. I wish I had. I took off from Orlando fairly soon after the studios opened and never had the chance to visit that park until 2004. I wish I had. I really do. I feel like I missed some of the best of the studios when the park was actually a working studio. Ya know?

I love this thread! I wanna hug the OP for the wonderful warm-n-fuzzies sharing time! :wave:

WorldKey

Miss the old-school embroidery machines in the hat shops. Watching sweet ladies man-handle those huge pieces of machinery to produce the swirly-twirly names that made each pair of mouse ears unique & special...yeah...that was the good stuff.

I really miss this....last visit we stopped and saw the computer driven hat embroidery machines and my thoughts went back to my first hat which was hand embroidered....you're right, they were all unique!

wolf359

While there are quite a few major attractions I miss, especially Horizons and Journey Into Imagination, or 20,000 Leagues and the Skyway, it's really the smaller diversions I find myself regretting the loss of more.

The Magic Shop, Penny Arcade, and the Walt Disney Story were some of the most memorable things to me. Now that Main Street is only one giant shop it's really taken a lot of character out of the Magic Kingdom.

I miss the wide open space in Adventureland, and the steel drum band. I miss being able to walk through Cinderella Castle and see the walls on both sides of the passage.

WorldKey

Like many, I miss Horizons and World or Motion. Also, as may be indicated by my avatar I was amazed (and miss) the World Key terminals and main center. I thought it was so cool to make our dinner reservations by video phone to the reservationists. Definitely the original JII with Dreamfinder and Image Works. Also miss the double decker buses in WS.

In the MK I miss 20K, the Skyway, the Penny Arcade, and Diamond HS Revue when it had regular (non-dinner) shows. And I love Swiss Family Tree House so if they turn it into Tarzan like they did at DL I will be very teed off.

pumpkin7

I miss The Living Seas. The idea of taking a hydrator down to a research center UNDERWATER was great great story-telling and a cool idea. It really felt as though you were at an under water research facility.

I also miss the 1990's version of the backlot tour with residential street.

i used to enjoy that aspect of living seas too, like you were actually going underground and i remember there being lots to do in there (i was about 13 the time before last we went and i'm 21 now). i was really shocked to see it how it is now. i don't particularly like the finding nemo part of it.. the screens and the giant clam shells are silly! i remember really feeling like we were underwater. there was also a lot more to do there than there is now. it seems they've got rid of a lot of the stuff in favour of a giant bruce the shark. although, i did discover my first hidden mickey in one of the tanks in here lol.
i also much prefered the water tank with the mickey ears as the logo for MGM. sorry, hollywood studios. why did they change that? did they fall out with MGM or something? the hat, although a very nice piece of modern architecture, doesn't really serve much purpose, and completely destroys the view to the great movie ride; which was almost empty when we went last!

also, what happened to the horses and wagons that used to go up and down main street? they were so awesome, really gave you the magical feeling of disney.

I miss the wide open space in Adventureland, and the steel drum band. I miss being able to walk through Cinderella Castle and see the walls on both sides of the passage.

we did this on our last trip. they psuhed those big boards out of the way after the disney stage performance was finished, and you could walk down there, viewing it in all it's glory!

as for 20k, i never got to go on this ride, but it looked amazing. i've had a look at the 20k website posted here, and it's sad to see it just torn down and filled in with dirt. it's just how they smashed everything up and put in on ebay, ergh, very sad indeed. some of those pictures really freak me out.. imagine walking through there, it all dark and no water, walking along the old track.... oooo creepy. hopefully they will incorperate it into the new ariel ride.

i also miss the old spaceship earth, although looking back at some of the old videos of horizons, and only being 8 the first time we went, i think i may have mashed them both into one, and as horizons was only there the first time we went, i can't remember it much :(

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I miss the old Contemporary with the gameroom and movie theatre downstairs. The shops on the 4th floor were more individual and so much better than what's there now.

And I miss Minnie's Minniehuene breakfast at the Polynesian.

And I really miss World of Motion.

But most of all I miss staying in a tower room at the Contemporary for $56 a night. :lol:
I recall that as well. Man, that place was huge. Granted, i was a kid then and my memory might not have proper perspective, but it was big.

That goes without saying. Best part of EPCOT Center.

All great stuff. Such a shame it's all gone now. You and I are on the same wavelegnth here.

So why not overhaul like they did Submarine Voyage in Disneyland? I know the DL version had something to do with the monorail structure support, but I don't see why they couldn't effectively come up with a solution for 20k as they did for "Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage."
I mean seriously, a playground?
Pooh's Playful Spot: A playground that simulates a submarine pen filled in with dirt and overrun by Poohbears.
I dont want to recite something from memory and not be correct, so Ill say this with a huge disclaimer: Im not sure of the accuracy of this statement. I remember being in a conversation on these boards years ago about this topic. I think I recall it being said that before the 20K Leagues was shut down, management reps (not sure which ones) planned a visit to see the attraction and discuss its future. On the day they arrived, CM's that worked the attraction weren't very kind to keeping things running 100% and possibly caused certain things to happen, that were ironically some of the issues that plagued this attraction. Ultimately, we see its fate.

Please correct my story if this is way off base, but I think it has some truth to it.

MKCP 1985

At the Magic Kingdom, I hope that someday the shops on Main Street USA will return to having some individuality and specialness about them, and that means specifically a return of the House of Magic. :king:

The older get, the less I want to stand in lines all day, so the more I appreciate the ambiance of the park itself and I miss the twinkle lights in the trees in the hub. Oh, I hope they return in the Fantasyland expansion. That would be very much appreciated.

I never cared so much for the actual 20,000 Leagues ride because the wait was too long and the sub smelled mildewy and the fish were very obviously not real, but I LOVED the sight of the Nautilus submarines circling the lagoon. I used to get an ice cream in a waffle cone and sit on a bench overlooking the submarines in the lagoon and, wow, that was just an awesome sight.

As for rides, I can't complain too much because most of the newer rides and shows and have been improvements. I will always have a special place in my heart for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. With a different ride experience depending on whether you took the left queue or the right queue, and a steering wheel that did nothing to steer the vehicle, Mr. Toad was too cool for Disney World! Sadly, as it turns out. :lookaroun

rodserling27

I recall that as well. Man, that place was huge. Granted, i was a kid then and my memory might not have proper perspective, but it was big.

I dont want to recite something from memory and not be correct, so Ill say this with a huge disclaimer: Im not sure of the accuracy of this statement. I remember being in a conversation on these boards years ago about this topic. I think I recall it being said that before the 20K Leagues was shut down, management reps (not sure which ones) planned a visit to see the attraction and discuss its future. On the day they arrived, CM's that worked the attraction weren't very kind to keeping things running 100% and possibly caused certain things to happen, that were ironically some of the issues that plagued this attraction. Ultimately, we see its fate.

Please correct my story if this is way off base, but I think it has some truth to it.

I read all of that somewhere too, and that it perhaps was purposely sabotaged. Such a shame. But it still doesn't account for why they couldn't just overhaul it? I'm sure some of the same problems wreaked havoc at the DL version as well....maybe someday, when I'm in charge, I'll order them to rebuild the ride :lol:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
At the Magic Kingdom, I hope that someday the shops on Main Street USA will return to having some individuality and specialness about them, and that means specifically a return of the House of Magic. :king:

The older get, the less I want to stand in lines all day, so the more I appreciate the ambiance of the park itself and I miss the twinkle lights in the trees in the hub. Oh, I hope they return in the Fantasyland expansion. That would be very much appreciated.

I never cared so much for the actual 20,000 Leagues ride because the wait was too long and the sub smelled mildewy and the fish were very obviously not real, but I LOVED the sight of the Nautilus submarines circling the lagoon. I used to get an ice cream in a waffle cone and sit on a bench overlooking the submarines in the lagoon and, wow, that was just an awesome sight.

As for rides, I can't complain too much because most of the newer rides and shows and have been improvements. I will always have a special place in my heart for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. With a different ride experience depending on whether you took the left queue or the right queue, and a steering wheel that did nothing to steer the vehicle, Mr. Toad was too cool for Disney World! Sadly, as it turns out. :lookaroun
That is crazy. I am in the same boat (pun intended). I loved watching them, but did care for the wait and wasnt big on the ride itself. :shrug: We are definitely in the minority. LOL

I recall my first time waiting for it. I think we hit 3 hours and then it closed or went 101. It was brutal.

I read all of that somewhere too, and that it perhaps was purposely sabotaged. Such a shame. But it still doesn't account for why they couldn't just overhaul it? I'm sure some of the same problems wreaked havoc at the DL version as well....maybe someday, when I'm in charge, I'll order them to rebuild the ride
I think one of wdwmagic most informed was in on that conversation, but Im not going to call them out to participate. I know what I recall from the conversation. I just hope the OP was telling the truth so I have my facts straight.

ttalovebug

I'm not sure if this bothers anyone as much as it does me, but I REALLY miss El Rio de Tiempo. Maybe it was slighty outdated, but was a relaxing, laid back ride and actually relevant to the pavilion. It was actually about Mexico, rather than a "where's _____?" ride that happens to take place in Mexico. I hate the new incarnation with a passion. It's loud, annoying, and pointless. I used to ride El Rio every time I visited EPCOT, but I just can't bear to anymore.

I miss the everything about the Irons' narration of SSE: the script, his voice, the descent, the fiber obtics, but most of all the score. It was magnificent, sweeping at times, and perfectly subtle in others. The new score is just unmemorable. But the narration is pretty bad, too. First backup system, thank the phonecians, unfortunately taxes- so many awkward lines.

I miss the LOW. EPCOT felt so empty last Christmas, I never realized how much it added to the atmosphere.

I miss the working Yeti.

I miss the last TTA naration with the chime and "Now Approaching...." voice.

I miss seeing the house burning from Rivers of America. It's just charred now.

My sister misses Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer Island. She always got a coke float there.

This might be kind of silly, but I miss being able to put my dog in the park specific kennels. It was much more convenient for me than it is now.

Walt Disney1955

Running and maintainence costs, poor capacity.

I get it, 20,000 had poor capacity but Peter Pan doesn't? Obviously I would never suggest taking Pan out of there, I love it and so does everyone else but if the capacity is bad then you adjust it and do a refurb, that was a really great attraction and it isn't at Disneyland either or anywhere else to make up for it.

Dragonrider1227

I miss when Disney MGM Studios was all about Roger Rabbit. I miss the warehouse done up like the final scene with the giant Dip machine and the movie props

Susan Savia

Horizons and World of Motion!!!! Loved the motorcycle cop sitting behind the billboard...and the guy sitting in the mud with the pigs all around him...
Good times...

Chrononymous

Like many here...of course I will always grieve the great attractions like Kitchen Kaberet, JII, Horizons, WoM, the original Tiki room and the other most missed.

But I also miss smaller things as well.

I miss the little effect of seeing Tink in the drawer in the Fantasyland shop.

I really miss my favorite restaurant...Bonfamilles at PO

I miss character breakfasts at the Coral Reef, and those amazing stuffed french toast things they used to have at the Poly.

I miss all the wonderful opriginal Epcot music. Listen to the Land, Tomorrow's Child...

I miss fountains in Adventureland. Even if they were only wall fountains. It seems like many water features simply have disappeared.

I miss the old Hollywood atmosphere of the Studios. The hat really does ruin the theme.
And the backlot tour was awesome...once upon a time.
But I guess that the ToT is a good trade off.

And gods do I miss the Adventurer's Club.

There is more...things like the Legend of the Lion King puppet show, or Cranium Command, or the smell of the 20,000 leagues Subs, or even Magic Journeys...the first "real" 3D movie I ever saw.

Dang. Now I need to go watch more of Martin's videos....

redshoesrock

Magic Journeys!!! Wow...that takes me back

(Neither dreaming...nor pretending...
No beginning...and no ending...)

I miss Dreamfinder. I was told that back then, JII was the number 2 visited attraction at Epcot, but Disney got sick and tired of spending so much money fixing all the animatronics, so they reworked the path leading to Imagination so you'd be naturally funneled towards the 3-D movie instead. JII dropped to number 8, Disney yelled, "Ha! No one likes it anymore!" and proceeded to change it to the Figment-less Imagination Institute.

Growing up, 20K was one of my favorites. Every time we went to MK, I insisted to my parents we had to Pirates, 20K, and HM at night (You can't go to HM during the *day*...it's the Haunted Mansion for crying out loud, Mom!!)

What I truly miss the most from Disney is the overall optimism for the future. Sure, it's still there to a small degree but it's been quite, quite muted for years IMHO. I miss going to Tomorrowland and EPCOT Center (not "Epcot '94 or just "Epcot") and seeing and learning if we all worked together and believed that the future could and will be a better place for everyone. It reminds me of what Marty Sklar said at his presentation during the 25th anniversary of Epcot (you know, the one Disney had to be shamed into doing?). He brought up Small World and made a small joke about the song (as most tend to nowadays) which brought some knowing chuckles. But he got a rousing round of applause when he then said, "I know, I know...but I still stand by the lyrics. 'There is just one moon and one golden sun, and a smile means friendship to everyone.' If some of our world leaders would remind themselves of that, perhaps we wouldn't be having some of the problems we seem to be in now."

That's the Disney I remember from my youth; today it seems to be more about doing whatever is necessary to save a buck, coasting a bit on their legacy, and pushing and selling the merchandise. *Sigh*

MickeyMind

I miss always having a big new attraction to look forward to. I might be a little spoiled though, I grew up in the 90s and we came down to disney every year and it seemed like every year disney had something BIG opening up. From the time mgm opened til about the time everest open, disney was constantly turning out big rides and attractions, now? not so much. They're redoing alot of things ,which is good ,but at the same time I wish disney was like the disney of the 90s again. Always pushing the envelope, sadly uni is the one pushing the envelope now, while mickey just sits on his big pile of cash

elisatonks

I miss the original journey into imagination, the land back in the day when you had a live host, 101 dalmations how it was made attraction at studios, the orginal backlot tour ( i think they should refurb it to be more like the one in DLP now) and most of all The Timekeeper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom