masks with special needs

Gramma4

Original Poster
The simple face covering that Disney are asking people to wear doesn't really protect the wearer, it is to help stop infected droplets getting out the mouth and nose of the wearer.
So the mask is to stop the person potentially spreading the virus, not getting it.
If you know anything at all about autism you would know that sensory is a big issue. Him wearing a mask alone can trigger a melt down
We are trying to prepare the best we can for our Feb 2021 trip. That’s the point of my concern was the autism and masks. Get it now ?

Giss Neric

If you know anything at all about autism you would know that sensory is a big issue. Him wearing a mask alone can trigger a melt down
We are trying to prepare the best we can for our Feb 2021 trip. That’s the point of my concern was the autism and masks. Get it now ?
Why don't you take it step by step then. Bring him first to a fair or an indoor amusement park, then move onto local parks in your state, then the finale would be Disney. If he doesn't pass those then might as well not go to Disney.

It's important to note that you and your family should be taking masks wearing seriously too.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaklgreen

I understand where you are coming from, my niece is autistic. The best thing that you can do is to try to get him used to wearing the mask. I know that it is one step forward and 2 steps back most of the time when they are learning something new. It is important that he is comfortable wearing the mask at all times because there will be no exceptions as it stands now. It would be better to cancel if he is unable to handle the masks, then to go and have to leave the parks because he won't wear them.

StarWarsGirl

My younger brother has autism. He's 18, so a bit older than the OP's grandson, but we've successfully gotten him used to wearing the masks.

Where we live, masks have been required since April. There's very little room for exceptions; basically, if you can't wear one, you're supposed to request curbside service for essentials. So when virtual learning was going on still, the schools were talking about it with the kids, letting them know that masks were required, talking to them about the pandemic, why it was happening, etc.

Then we basically have my brother the option when things started to reopen: we told him he could either stay home all the time, or he could learn to wear the mask and go out. Gradually, he started learning to wear the mask. I started by taking him to an outdoor mall where there's food places, so we'd go inside, wear the masks while getting food and then take them off while eating. We gradually worked out way up to going on vacation in Hilton Head, where Disney requires that you wear them when not in a pool area or in your room. Now we go to Hersheypark basically every weekend. I never have any issue getting him to wear the mask; in fact yesterday, we were at the water park, and I came out of the changing area without a mask and immediately got called on it by him (there was no one around, but he was correct...)

The other thing we did was give him choices between the masks. We have Disney ones, we have disposable ones, we have homemade ones...his favorite is actually one we found at Walgreens. We think he likes the way the material feels.

It is a process, and this is a kid who doesn't like sunglasses or hats, but he understands the virus is here and it's what we have to do in order to have some fun.

Hcalvert

My oldest son is autistic (Aspergers--before they stopped using the term) and he actually prefers to wear a mask at work (he works at a grocery store). I think it is because his facial expressions (or lack thereof) are hidden and he feels more comfortable and is more sociable. He actually had my grandma make him a fish-themed one to wear at work since he is in the seafood department. He says the little kids get a kick out of it. Now thinking about it, he has become more self-aware and aware of others since he started wearing a mask. Who knew. 🤷‍♀️ I also have a 12-year-old son who may be on the spectrum. He did not have an issue wearing the mask for two weeks at Disney when we went. The major complaint I got was that it bothered his ears at the beginning, but we streched the Disney mask a bit and he was fine. I know every kid is different, but don't underestimate your child. I thought my son would have an issue, but it appears I was more anxious about it than him.

mergatroid

I know you love your son dearly and I wish there wasn't a virus and something stopping you both visiting Disney. The thing is though if your son wore no mask and passed on the virus, how would you feel? What if the enjoyment the two of you got by your son going maskless meant that say another human caught the virus and died. That other person had the same right as you to go to a park and be safe but contracted the virus through your son wearing no mask. That other person may have kids with autism now left with no father and as he was a single parent they now end up in state care?

I know you mean no harm but you do have to think about others too. I know you would hate to be responsible for your son passing the virus on but as unlikely as that seems, it's a possibility. I'd love the both of you to go but just as you rely on people like doctors and nurses helping you and your family, society also relies on you behaving in a way that's fair to them? As it stands wearing a mask is the way we're told to do it and if we don't do that then the consequences are dire. Sadly putting the welfare of your son going to a theme park above people dying isn't the fair way of doing things.

RETLAW

I was at Disney Springs the other day going thru the Temp check, and there was a family there with a special needs child that would not wear a mask, and the family was fighting with what I assume was a manager for Disney Springs. They were denied access because the child could not / would not wear a mask. I didn't hear the whole conversation, but the manager did keep saying that it is not considered discrimination.

It is not just WDW rule, it is a mandate of Orange County ( The county WDW is located 99% in).

lazyboy97o

I was at Disney Springs the other day going thru the Temp check, and there was a family there with a special needs child that would not wear a mask, and the family was fighting with what I assume was a manager for Disney Springs. They were denied access because the child could not / would not wear a mask. I didn't hear the whole conversation, but the manager did keep saying that it is not considered discrimination.

It is not just WDW rule, it is a mandate of Orange County ( The county WDW is located 99% in).
Like many governments, Orange County‘s mask mandate has a medical exemption. Disney, along with other businesses, has chosen to not allow a medical exemption on their property.

Tony the Tigger

Like many governments, Orange County‘s mask mandate has a medical exemption. Disney, along with other businesses, has chosen to not allow a medical exemption on their property.
Good. Because a medical exemption makes no sense in these cases. If your medical exemption puts others at risk of losing their lives, then - gasp - omg - you might not be able to do everything you want to do at the exact moment you want to do it. You may just have to deal with it and postpone your trip until masks are no longer necessary. Poor you. (Not you, obviously.)

Life is full of disappointments. A theme park trip is not a necessity. People who can’t wear a mask for any reason do not get to make others unsafe.

I can empathize and feel bad, but still have no problem enforcing the restrictions. Do. Not. Go.

Giss Neric

Problem is consistency. That family must have gone to other places where they were lenient about their special needs child not wearing a mask and now they come to Disney where it's way more strict in enforcement.

There is a lot of gray area about medical exemption and people are surely taking advantage of it just like taking advantage of bringing "support animals."

Gramma4

Original Poster
Why don't you take it step by step then. Bring him first to a fair or an indoor amusement park, then move onto local parks in your state, then the finale would be Disney. If he doesn't pass those then might as well not go to Disney.

It's important to note that you and your family should be taking masks wearing seriously too.
Best idea yet. Thank you. I will pass this on

Disvillain63

My younger brother has autism. He's 18, so a bit older than the OP's grandson, but we've successfully gotten him used to wearing the masks.

Where we live, masks have been required since April. There's very little room for exceptions; basically, if you can't wear one, you're supposed to request curbside service for essentials. So when virtual learning was going on still, the schools were talking about it with the kids, letting them know that masks were required, talking to them about the pandemic, why it was happening, etc.

Then we basically have my brother the option when things started to reopen: we told him he could either stay home all the time, or he could learn to wear the mask and go out. Gradually, he started learning to wear the mask. I started by taking him to an outdoor mall where there's food places, so we'd go inside, wear the masks while getting food and then take them off while eating. We gradually worked out way up to going on vacation in Hilton Head, where Disney requires that you wear them when not in a pool area or in your room. Now we go to Hersheypark basically every weekend. I never have any issue getting him to wear the mask; in fact yesterday, we were at the water park, and I came out of the changing area without a mask and immediately got called on it by him (there was no one around, but he was correct...)

The other thing we did was give him choices between the masks. We have Disney ones, we have disposable ones, we have homemade ones...his favorite is actually one we found at Walgreens. We think he likes the way the material feels.

It is a process, and this is a kid who doesn't like sunglasses or hats, but he understands the virus is here and it's what we have to do in order to have some fun.
This is so "on the mark". Trying out various masks is a good idea for anyone. DH was having a hard time with mask mandates. I ordered several different types, because I need masks for school. I had him try each different type...shape, materials, etc... He finally found one that he could live with for short periods of time.

The Mom

Premium Member
This is so "on the mark". Trying out various masks is a good idea for anyone. DH was having a hard time with mask mandates. I ordered several different types, because I need masks for school. I had him try each different type...shape, materials, etc... He finally found one that he could live with for short periods of time.

Exactly - they are not one size fits all. I was purchasing some masks for my husband and I, and there were some really cute children's masks for sale, so I picked up a couple for my neighbor's children. She wanted to know where I had found them, because they were the first masks that fit them comfortably.

I have found that one style fits well, while others leave a gap. I also prefer the tightly woven cotton ones that have an envelope where you can slip in a filter.

mergatroid

Exactly - they are not one size fits all. I was purchasing some masks for my husband and I, and there were some really cute children's masks for sale, so I picked up a couple for my neighbor's children. She wanted to know where I had found them, because they were the first masks that fit them comfortably.

I have found that one style fits well, while others leave a gap. I also prefer the tightly woven cotton ones that have an envelope where you can slip in a filter.

My wife and I are planning to visit next March (all being well). Here in the UK today it's very hot by our standards and she's practicing wearing a mask in the heat in our garden. She suffers from asthma but realises there aren't exceptions so is working with how the world is rather than fighting against it. She too finds certain ones more comfortable than others.

Hcalvert

My wife and I are planning to visit next March (all being well). Here in the UK today it's very hot by our standards and she's practicing wearing a mask in the heat in our garden. She suffers from asthma but realises there aren't exceptions so is working with how the world is rather than fighting against it. She too finds certain ones more comfortable than others.
I was skeptical about wearing the masks in the Florida heat, but was pleasantly surprised that it did not bother me much. The Disney-brand masks were helpful on the water rides as they did not stay wet due to the polyester print layer. After awhile, I didn't even notice I was wearing one. The only problem I had with the masks was when I had to wear the 3D glasses. They kept fogging up, but my husband (who wears glasses) figured out a way to adjust the mask (and still keep everything covered) to stop it.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Distance is the big preventative messier and outside is especially safer, to me, Disney should make it mandatory inside only. There needs to be a balance.

I agree but the balance should be that when you're near people not necessarily inside only.
I think if you're not close to someone outside you should be able to take it off not just in rest zones which really don't make much sense as you are gathering the non mask wearers in one space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom