masks with special needs

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I agree but the balance should be that when you're near people not necessarily inside only.
I think if you're not close to someone outside you should be able to take it off not just in rest zones which really don't make much sense as you are gathering the non mask wearers in one space.
It strikes me as easier for Disney to enforce a blanket "masks on everywhere" rule.

21stamps

There’s been a lot of great advice.. the best thing is to practice. Try a bunch of different masks.

We go to an amusement park weekly right now, my kid is going 2 days per week. They have incredibly strict rules on masks and distancing. If you pull your mask down to expose your nose, you will be told to put up immediately.

Here’s what I’ve found is most comfortable-
*Wear a ball cap.. this keeps the sun of your face.
*We have cotton and the surgical masks, my kiddo actually prefers the surgical when outside, he says it’s easier to breathe as opposed to the cotton ones.

Maybe try to go to a park where he wears a hat and mask, walk about a mile, see how he does? Bring several styles of mask.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
All I wish to say further is that I am considering legal action on the matter.

Good luck beating Disney in court.

If there's one company which every attorney I know in Florida doesn't want to go to court against with, it's Disney.

The Mom

Premium Member
Could people please go back to the specific topic, not the general masks are good/bad/silly/ lifesaving argument? The OP wanted help on how to deal with a rule that most of us have never had to deal with in our lives.

Many of us have worn masks in the past, but only under specific conditions (ORs, isolation, working with dangerous chemicals etc) but never on vacation. This is still uncharted territory for most of us, and the OP was just asking if anyone had directions - or even just advice - on how to have her vacation in this time of Covid.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Could people please go back to the specific topic, not the general masks are good/bad/silly/ lifesaving argument? The OP wanted help on how to deal with a rule that most of us have never had to deal with in our lives.

Many of us have worn masks in the past, but only under specific conditions (ORs, isolation, working with dangerous chemicals etc) but never on vacation. This is still uncharted territory for most of us, and the OP was just asking if anyone had directions - or even just advice - on how to have her vacation in this time of Covid.

OP got solid advice already.

Wendy Pleakley

Because you aren’t capable of knowing when to wear a mask and when not to?!

Because it becomes an enforcement challenge. If a cast member sees someone without a mask do you expect them to take the time to do an assessment and determine whether or not that guest is isolated enough not to need a mask. They'd be doing this constantly.

Then, they'd be arguing with other guests who don't have a mask but are too close to others. "Why do we have to wear a mask but they don't?".

Everyone wears a mask at all times is the simple and effective way to manage the issue.

Wendy Pleakley

Again common sense is required. The reason hotel windows are nailed shut isn’t because of people attempting to jump it’s because some idiot will think it’s a door.

Again, this isn't about common sense. It's about having easy to follow rules that are consistent and can be effectively enforced.

I'm not sure why you want "common sense" to be the rule of the day, while simultaneously pointing out how it's lacking.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Completely agree. I had an experience today, empty coffee shop, loads of tables, family comes in and sits right next to us. I asked them if they were serious, there response... ‘Are you asking us to move?’, my response, ‘I’m asking you to use common sense’. They moved.

This is the issue, if people had an ounce of common sense we would be ok, and masks would not be as big an issue, but we need to put dots on a floor and constant reminders because most people have zero common sense.

Well I wouldn't call people out because you could get yourself killed.
Not worth it. I'd have moved myself. Also not sure where you live but where I live nothing is full capacity and everything is spread out.

Lilofan

Make it fun! Print up T shirts advertising that wearing a mask is the right thing and come up with designs, logos etc. Wear the shirts with pride!

My95cobras

If you know anything at all about autism you would know that sensory is a big issue. Him wearing a mask alone can trigger a melt down
We are trying to prepare the best we can for our Feb 2021 trip. That’s the point of my concern was the autism and masks. Get it now ?

whywould you expose him or others to the risk? They refund deposits.

Yellow Shoes

February 2021 is LONG time off. It seems that this is plenty of time to determine if he will tolerate a mask and/or will give you time to find one that he loves. If it is an absolute no go on masks, it is still a long time off; the requirement may change; or you can re-schedule your trip.

thomas998

Again common sense is required. The reason hotel windows are nailed shut isn’t because of people attempting to jump it’s because some idiot will think it’s a door.
No it's to protect the others that are innocently walking beneath the windows. The person in the room paid in advance to the hotel doesn't really care if they leave through the front door or the window... but hotels tend to get sued when they allow guest to drop things on people down below or god forbid someone down below gets hit by a body traveling a 100 mph.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
All I wish to say further is that I am considering legal action on the matter.

There's a provision in the ADA which addresses direct threats that pose a significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of others, which cannot be eliminated or reduced by a reasonable accommodation, and allows exemptions to the protections provided under the Act. The CDC has declared SARS-COV-2 a pandemic and the EEOC has thus concurred the virus is a direct threat and exemptions to the Act's protections are allowed. Thus, Disney can refuse guests entry who cannot wear a mask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom