masks with special needs

Yellow Shoes

Unfortunately that only works if you have large enough frames.
I have a small face and very small frames and if I pull the mask up far enough to tuck under the frames its in my eyeballs.
A mask with the wire along the top will "seal" the mask to your nose so that you don't fog your glasses. I've been sewing a piece of bias tape (ribbon would work also) along the top seam and sliding a chenille stem (aka pipe cleaner) through the casing.

Archie123

I belong two one of those Disney Facebook groups and one of the posters claimed that a Disney cast member said the mask rule will be in effect until September 2021. Can anyone else confirm?

I have no idea whether this is true or not but I would say they are wrong. It is way to soon with to many changing variables for Disney to make a decision that far in the future. A vaccine may be rolled out before then and I would bet that masks will not be required. Who knows??

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
A mask with the wire along the top will "seal" the mask to your nose so that you don't fog your glasses. I've been sewing a piece of bias tape (ribbon would work also) along the top seam and sliding a chenille stem (aka pipe cleaner) through the casing.

Haven't found one that conforms well enough.
I found that the neck gaiter with ear loops works the best so that's what I've been using but its banned at Disney so I'd love to find something else so I can even consider planning a trip.

Wendy Pleakley

I belong two one of those Disney Facebook groups and one of the posters claimed that a Disney cast member said the mask rule will be in effect until September 2021. Can anyone else confirm?

The park reservation calendar currently goes through September 2021. That means if you book a trip today, for September 2021 or earlier you'll need to check the calendar and confirm those dates are available for your ticket type.

Based on this, we can conclude that as of right now, the current conditions including the mask requirement will still be in effect through at least that date.

However, this can obviously change. If there's a vaccine in early 2021 they could change things. Keep in mind even if a vaccine begins to roll out in early 2021, it could still take time for herd immunity to make mask wearing unnecessary.

So, the cast member was correct based on current plans, but no one can say for certain whether the situation will change between know and then.

J_Krafty24

I found adhesive metal mask strips on Amazon. I sewed a pocket into my masks to slip them into and remove for washing but you could try just sticking them to whatever mask you are using. It was a package of 200 strips for about $10. Between wearing my mask high on my nose and using the metal strip I get very little fogging. Since I am not using the adhesive I have been using the same strip for over a month (4 times a week), rotating it between my masks and never leaving it in during washing.

Jabbas

The park reservation calendar currently goes through September 2021. That means if you book a trip today, for September 2021 or earlier you'll need to check the calendar and confirm those dates are available for your ticket type.

Based on this, we can conclude that as of right now, the current conditions including the mask requirement will still be in effect through at least that date.

However, this can obviously change. If there's a vaccine in early 2021 they could change things. Keep in mind even if a vaccine begins to roll out in early 2021, it could still take time for herd immunity to make mask wearing unnecessary.

So, the cast member was correct based on current plans, but no one can say for certain whether the situation will change between know and then.

Thank you for the reply. I wasn’t sure if was true or posted somewhere on the Disney website. Haven’t been keeping up with pandemic Disney. We can’t go until they lift the mask requirement (not that we want to anyways, we understand.)

thomas998

You may be surprised... My son has autism and has no problem wearing a mask- especially if it's in a fabric he likes. I found some "Cars" themed fabric and he is so excited to wear his Lightning McQueen masks! Hopefully by then you won't have to worry about it though!!
Not surprising at all. The reality is lots of kids with a problem can overcome it when they don't fixate on it. When the kid doesn't think about the fact that he doesn't like something touching him and his mind embraces wearing a mask because HE wants to then you would expect what you describe to happen. I've also seen it happen with kids that were deathly afraid of water, if you got them playing near it and then slowly changed things so they ended up getting in the water on their own they would where if you had just tried to force them in the water they would have freaked out. My guess is there are a lot of instances where what you describe would be true if the parents would just try to do what you did, but often when a parent experiences negative reactions they stop trying and just accept that their child doesn't like X or Y and that's the end of the story. Getting a kid to do something they don't like isn't easy, but that doesn't mean it is impossible.

Chip318

Did you try introducing A social story with pictures from boardmaker? I work with children that have a variety of needs and a ocial stories are always my first step. It may be one you read every time before wearing the mask. He will know the story is followed by the mask, after several times. You could even have characters with masks. Good luck this is a tough time for kiddos.

Yellow Shoes

My
Grandson wears glasses too. How did he fix it from fogging ?
How did you get him to tolerate the glasses? Seems to me that if there is a sensory issue, the feeling of glasses on the nose and ears would have been a problem. Perhaps the same strategy for a mask?

The Mom

Premium Member
The OP was asking for advice on how to get her grandson to wear a mask comfortably, and I'm sure she appreciates some of the hints. This is not another Covid thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

Chip318

We have a trip planned for Feb 2021 and I am terrified because our grandson has moderate autism and can not keep a mask on..
I am positive I am not the only one with this problem... what are some ideas?

Great resources can be found on autism little learners.com

21stamps

Unfortunately that only works if you have large enough frames.
I have a small face and very small frames and if I pull the mask up far enough to tuck under the frames its in my eyeballs.

You don’t need to. I wear glasses and a mask every day. You push the mask in around your nose, doesn’t have to be under your glasses.
No fog, simple to do.

21stamps

I don't even understand what you mean?
My masks won't conform to my nose.
Wire/non wire alike.

These are similar to what I use daily.. I push the wire in which conforms to my nose, my glasses do not need to rest on the mask.

Mine are from a medical supply company, courtesy of a neighbor... but they look the same as the ones pictured here. I think you can buy in bulk from a med supply company too, I’m not sure, but I’d recommend looking into it. We’re going to need them for a while.

This is my kid at an amusement park.. see how he has it pinched to his nose, this also helps it not come off during rides..
4A41B105-B237-4A4C-A1A8-BC71D48DAF80.jpeg

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
These are similar to what I use daily.. I push the wire in which conforms to my nose, my glasses do not need to rest on the mask.

Mine are from a medical supply company, courtesy of a neighbor... but they look the same as the ones pictured here. I think you can buy in bulk from a med supply company too, I’m not sure, but I’d recommend looking into it. We’re going to need them for a while.

This is my kid at an amusement park.. see how he has it pinched to his nose, this also helps it not come off during rides..
View attachment 491951

Have those, tried that.
It does not work for me.
My sister and niece also wear glasses but have literally worn contacts every time they have to go out because they can't find ones that help the fog either. I don't have the luxury of wearing contacts.
But my niece did just get some today and let me try it and it works better but not perfect.

NelleBelle

Have those, tried that.
It does not work for me.
My sister and niece also wear glasses but have literally worn contacts every time they have to go out because they can't find ones that help the fog either. I don't have the luxury of wearing contacts.
But my niece did just get some today and let me try it and it works better but not perfect.
We would use this type of tape when in the OR and wearing protective eyewear that fogged terribly with our masks. We would tape the mask edge to the bridge of our nose and what's nice with this tape is that's it's slightly padded, stretchy, and not too tacky so it didn't pull when you removed it.

1597886096928.png

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We would use this type of tape when in the OR and wearing protective eyewear that fogged terribly with our masks. We would tape the mask edge to the bridge of our nose and what's nice with this tape is that's it's slightly padded, stretchy, and not too tacky so it didn't pull when you removed it.

View attachment 491960

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm allergic to most tape and band aids but I'll see if I can find that and give it a try at least.

NelleBelle

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm allergic to most tape and band aids but I'll see if I can find that and give it a try at least.
It’s supposed to be latex-free and hypoallergenic so might work for you 🤞🏻 We used it a lot on our burn ward with good success for some things. I know I saw a box of it for sale on eBay for ~$10 but other medical sites have it for sure (shouldn’t be very much unless buying it in bulk) 😳 Hope you find something that works!

lazyboy97o

This doesn’t help. :( We have a trip planned for February and if nothing changes with the current mandates- we won’t be able to go. Just wondering if there are any accommodations for special needs. Disney is responding to my questions. My son (vaccinated) physically can’t wear a mask for long periods of time. Really don’t want to cancel our trip we have waited almost two years to take. :(
As of now there are still no exceptions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom