Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Mom

Premium Member
I am going to give posters here the same directive I gave in the other "Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask." Please, just answer the question - would you go. Not, should others go, not should anyone wear a mask, not arguments about Covid, or whether or not masks would hurt more than help - or vice versa.

Just, would you go? You can answer and explain your answer, but please don't answer for other people, and accept that others may have a different POV about wearing a mask in WDW.

There is a coronavirus thread to discuss all of the other stuff - as long as you keep politics out of it, and don't continue the "this isn't any worse than the flu/no it's the worst thing that ever happened" etc arguments.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

I'm all for wearing masks but the one thing I hate about it is that I can smell my own breath.

I brush my teeth regularly but sometimes I admit when I just wanna go to the grocery last minute I don't. Let me tell you, I was dying more smelling my own breath in the mask than the discomfort and inconvenience of wearing a mask.
anigif_enhanced-31836-1434648324-7.gif

Last edited:

Lilofan

It's good that the VP of Disney Springs clarified the mandatory mask policy in black and white.

NelleBelle

Has anyone speculated how WDW will handle lost masks? Like, flies off on a ride...?
I would guess they would throw them away. Who in there right mind is going to store those disgusting things while waiting for someone to claim them?? Would you pick one up and turn it in to lost and found?? :hungover: And would you go seeking them out if you did lose one? Uh, that's a hard pass on all fronts for me!

Chi84

Premium Member
There's no way I would go to WDW if masks are required because it would spoil the experience for me. We've made more trips to WDW than I can count, some better than others, but face masks would make things too uncomfortable to justify spending the kind of money a WDW vacation requires. I don't think anyone is going to be happy at WDW if masks are required. Those who believe masks are ineffective will be upset at having to wear them, and those who believe they are effective are going to be upset every time they see another guest not wearing one. And having guests "remind" other guests to wear a mask will be nothing short of a nightmare scenario for Disney. Whatever your feelings on how well CMs enforce the rules, at least they are trained on how to interact with guests and will have guidelines to follow.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Would I go with a mask? Sure. But the only place this can be enforced is while walking through the gate, entering a restaurant (cause they're not going to enforce it once the food comes to the table, And maybe at certain points during a queue (beginning of it, maybe at certain point, and right before getting on the ride). Disney is going to reduce staff at the parks. They simply won't have the staff to do this.

They aren't going to be able to enforce this on somebody walking from Fantasyland to Liberty Square who decides he/she is not going to wear a mask. And if guests think about self policing this. We're gonna see an awful lot of stories on the news.

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
Yes, I would still go. I'm a passholder though and can go when I want and for smaller periods of time. I wouldn't want to wear a mask for an entire day but would be fine for 3-4 hours.

You definitely get used to wearing masks the more you wear them. There were some 95 degree days that I've been out and wearing the mask wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Would I go with a mask? Sure. But the only place this can be enforced is while walking through the gate, entering a restaurant (cause they're not going to enforce it once the food comes to the table, And maybe at certain points during a queue (beginning of it, maybe at certain point, and right before getting on the ride). Disney is going to reduce staff at the parks. They simply won't have the staff to do this.

They aren't going to be able to enforce this on somebody walking from Fantasyland to Liberty Square who decides he/she is not going to wear a mask. And if guests think about self policing this. We're gonna see an awful lot of stories on the news.
Can’t enforce it. Just take the mask off, grab a drink of water, snack a bit while you walk, then slide it on before you enter an indoor facility.

Even though I don’t think it’s enforceable, I still
won’t go. I don’t want to see people in masks, looking sideways at each other, ruining the atmosphere. I’ll go when the park is 100% open. No restrictions.

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I would not have any problem wearing a mask at WDW. Here's my thinking...

We are supposed to be heading to WDW in mid-late July. Split stay off-, then on-site. In mid-late July, the temperature where I live is most likely somewhat close to the same as the Orlando area (in fact, historically when we've gone in July, the Baltimore area ends up being a degree or two warmer than the Disney area most days). More than likely, I will be still required to wear a mask when out and about here at home. If my choices are, stay at home with 8 days off from work wearing a mask any time I'm out of the house or be at WDW for 8 days wearing a mask any time I'm out of my hotel/resort room.... I'm going to choose Disney.

I've already paid for/planned the expenses of the trip and there's not another time in the next year that we could go for 8 days. Yes, Disney is a far more expensive way to spend those 8 days than sitting at home, but it's also likely to be much more enjoyable. And after 2 full months of working from home, I am becoming more than willing to pay just to go somewhere that isn't home - I can only imagine how I might feel in 2 more months.

Now, concerns over others spreading the virus - that's a discussion for another thraed, which I have thus far avoided joining into. But, would I wear a mask... yup, 'tis a far better place to wear a mask than just about anywhere else.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
tis a far better place to wear a mask than just about anywhere else.
I’d argue the opposite. Nowhere else on earth is the atmosphere so carefully curated. Throwing a mask on to run to Target isn’t a big deal. Walking through the Tower of Terror queue, where every detail has been made to transport you, then CMs are wearing masks, other guests are wearing masks, looks like you’re in a hospital wing, no thank you.

Goofyernmost

I’d argue the opposite. Nowhere else on earth is the atmosphere so carefully curated. Throwing a mask on to run to Target isn’t a big deal. Walking through the Tower of Terror queue, where every detail has been made to transport you, then CMs are wearing masks, other guests are wearing masks, looks like you’re in a hospital wing, no thank you.
Which is a legitimate concern and also why I won't be going at all until we don't need them anymore. We all have a right to our individual thoughts on the merit or lack of merit, but we do not run WDW so if that is what they want and feel it is for a good reason, then you can disagree with ever angle of that, but if you are going to go, the mask will be mandatory. As individuals the rest of the population also has a say. The world very seldom rotates around us individually.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

I'm already suspending my disbelief by ignoring the family behind me in the queue arguing about their dinner, the crying over-tired 4 year old in front of me, and the person showing far more skin than anyone in public should. I really doubt that the CM or guests in masks is going have a great impact on my ability to enjoy the escapism of WDW. The incredibly curated atmosphere at Disney is well done enough that it already lets me ignore a great many things that could distract form the experience. Obviously, I could be wrong and the prevalence of people in masks could ruin things, but I hope not!

I would if we only had to wear them on the buses and inside buildings. If they are required everywhere, then I will not be able to go. I have claustrophobia and can’t manage a mask for more than a few minutes. Just thinking about it in the last couple of weeks has me panicked. I could drive and avoid indoor areas without a problem and avoid the mask. I could not tolerate having to wear one for most of the day.

I have been dreaming of my summer trip for months, and I have made masks at home of the thinnest, softest, loosest material I could find. And I just don’t think I can handle it. I’ve tried. I will be so disappointed if they require masks everywhere because I won’t be able to go.

I’ll tolerate a lot of things at Disney. Most things. But not being able to breathe is not one of them.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm already suspending my disbelief by ignoring the family behind me in the queue arguing about their dinner, the crying over-tired 4 year old in front of me, and the person showing far more skin than anyone in public should. I really doubt that the CM or guests in masks is going have a great impact on my ability to enjoy the escapism of WDW. The incredibly curated atmosphere at Disney is well done enough that it already lets me ignore a great many things that could distract form the experience. Obviously, I could be wrong and the prevalence of people in masks could ruin things, but I hope not!
Mileage will vary obviously. For me the masks are a clear deal breaker. Obviously for others? Not so much.

Ulysses McGill

I voted Yes. My thinking is simple - If the performers wearing giant headgear and full body costuming can hack it, I can tough it out to simply enjoy the park. It's really not that big of a deal, and I think people are blowing masks out of a proportion because literally everything is so politicized now. For me, if my enjoyment of the parks outweighs any perceived inconvenience of wearing a mask, then I'm going for it.

I just need Dole Whip.

Paper straw fan

It’s not that I wouldn’t wear one for protesty ‘quarantine Libertarianism’ type reasons, mine just comes down to one simple thing-

It’s typically hot as ____ at Disney 80% of the year (minimum) and I really can’t breathe in those things for too long, especially in the heat. I can run simple errands wearing one for 10-15 minutes inside an air conditioned store, but all day in the Florida heat? Nah. Then I’m winding up being one of those who’s tugging at it or not wearing it properly, and I’m part of the problem.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom