Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goofyernmost

If only what you say was true. If we all the the "right" to force others around us to not do things, that they are legally able to, that affect us, then smokers would only be allowed to smoke inside their homes. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and it most definitely affects my health and well being. But smokers are still allowed to smoke around me if they want to. For example, the smokers that feel the need to smoke while walking from their car to the grocery store right up to the door. That most definitely affects those around them. No one is legally required to keep you "safe" from themselves when they are doing something legal. I wish that the government was as diligent with keeping us safe with other things as they are with Covid. But then are not making money off of it like they do cigarettes. Those who die from second hand smoke are just as important as those who die from Covid, or the flu, or drunk drives, etc.
I agree, but I was talking about Disney specifically. I'm sorry it I didn't explain it clear enough.

Gingersnap

I voted No. It's not about me anyway. It is about my 5 month old daughter who for one wouldn't of course wear a mask and Disney isn't even requiring it for that age anyway. I would not even think of putting her in that sort of situation. As much as the evidence points that it strikes more of the older population, it still strikes the younger population and babies and that is something if I can do anything to possibly prevent it spreading to her I am going to take that measure. She is also too young I believe to go to WDW anyway, but during this definitely not happening.

Giss Neric

I voted No. It's not about me anyway. It is about my 5 month old daughter who for one wouldn't of course wear a mask and Disney isn't even requiring it for that age anyway. I would not even think of putting her in that sort of situation. As much as the evidence points that it strikes more of the older population, it still strikes the younger population and babies and that is something if I can do anything to possibly prevent it spreading to her I am going to take that measure. She is also too young I believe to go to WDW anyway, but during this definitely not happening.
I agree totally. I personally think that babies should not be in theme parks anyways cause not that they are a burden to take care in a very chaotic and crowded place but they won't even remember it. Take them when they are old enough to recognize characters and stuff.

Ldno

Who goes into HEB without a mask during the time when it was voluntary?? I love our Texas HEB employees, they are the best! We should not be in there without a mask, it's the least we can to do respect that they are doing a risky job to keep our favorite food store open.

Who goes into Disney without a mask during this time?? I love our Disney cast, they are the best! We should not be in there without a mask, it's the least we can to do respect that they are doing a risky job to keep our favorite theme parks open.

I know right, sad to say some people feel entitled to their freedom, some of my Friends who work at HEB have been called nazi for wearing masks at work, they have no choice but there’s always “that“ one person that ruins it for everyone. They get tired of customers coming up to their face and calling them out but there’s nothing they can do but be respectful. It’s like the time i was being an innocent bystander at the check out line at walmart and saw this guy on a scooter trying to check three egg cartoons when the limit at the TIME was clearly marked TWO, he ended up calling a manager over to plead his case on why he needed 3 cases of egg because his wife makes “food” from scratch which is no different from everybody else in my opinion, but thankfully the manager told him, there was nothing they could do because the system would not let them override it. Either way, those workers risk it for us and get it worse in return and it’s sad. Sad to say saw this more than anything when the toilet paper shortage happened.

Second time i go to a Disney store, CM had roving patrols around the store to ensure the mask policy was enforced to the T, they got onto a couple of shoppers who took it down after they were let in, i can imagine this happening at the parks.

BuddyThomas

After reading this whole thread, this bears repeating, apparently.
6AA9E96C-8CFA-4BFF-AC93-545316B44324.jpeg

Chi84

Premium Member
Please stop spreading misinformation all over this board.
What misinformation? Where did those numbers come from? Just because someone publishes something doesn’t mean it’s correct or has any validity.

I believe I have as much right to post my opinions as you do. If not, I’m sure a moderator will step in - it’s definitely not your place to decide what should or should not be posted here.

BuddyThomas

What misinformation? Where did those numbers come from? Just because someone publishes something doesn’t mean it’s correct or has any validity.

I believe I have as much right to post my opinions as you do. If not, I’m sure a moderator will step in - it’s definitely not your place to decide what should or should not be posted here.
Does this help you?

Chi84

Premium Member
Does this help you?
Not really. The article in Time magazine concludes that wearing a self made mask “is better than not wearing anything.” I absolutely agree with this. I was asking where the numbers came from in the graphic you posted. There’s nothing in the article that supports it.

I support mask wearing at this time. All I’m asking for is that studies continue into how effective it is given how many people are actually wearing them and how they’re wearing them. It’s okay to question the need for and effectiveness of the rules as long as you don’t advocate disobeying them.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Opinions and misinformation are not mutually exclusive.

Chi84

Premium Member
Opinions and misinformation are not mutually exclusive.
True, misinformation involves facts and right now the facts are being disputed, even by experts. They change every day based on new evidence coming in. Misinformation can also be posting something that has no factual basis.

Parker in NYC

True, misinformation involves facts and right now the facts are being disputed, even by experts. They change every day based on new evidence coming in. Misinformation can also be posting something that has no factual basis.

Let me ask you this, then. What benefit do you get from coming in here every day to minimize the situation? What is the end game here? I find it baffling.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the states that have re-opened and have implemented more strict mask and physical distancing rules the case counts appear to be dropping, not increasing. In places with less or no focus on those things the case numbers are increasing, in some cases dramatically. I don’t think we need some scientific studies done in a lab or published in a magazine to prove the effectiveness. The information we have right now on how the virus spreads tells us those things should help and the observational data on the ground supports that hypothesis. As time goes on and more information comes to light the recommendations may change, until then it’s the best plan we have.

Chi84

Premium Member
Let me ask you this, then. What benefit do you get from coming in here every day to minimize the situation? What is the end game here? I find it baffling.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. It looks to me like others are coming in here every day to spread undue fear. I support mask-wearing right now because the current evidence shows that it is doing at least something to curtail spread of the virus. I just don't think that masks are doing as much as people believe they are, especially when they are being worn by maybe half of the population and are often being worn incorrectly.

My end game is to have Disney either stand completely behind the mask requirement and enforce it to the point that it does some good or abandon it (as they already have outside in Shanghai). I'm a rule-follower and would wear the mask covering both nose and mouth for as long as the requirement is in place (which, in effect, means I won't go to WDW at this time). But if Disney is okay with "half-masked" compliance with the rule, letting people wear it under their chin or hanging off one ear, there will be no end in sight for it. In that case, I would like to see evidence that it is doing some actual good.

Goofyernmost

So like humans have done forever, we search until we find something that agrees with our opinion. With that you have one group saying that it is important to wear a mask and another group saying... Hell, it doesn't matter. If you don't want to wear the mask take a wild guess on which opinion you are going to go with.

When there are two conflicting official opinions, stated by people that should know the one thing you can be sure of is that one of them is wrong. You will decide what is right based on which one you want it to be. So in the case of the mask. Your agreed opinion says.. nope not worth the material they are made with, the other side says... No they are not 100% effective, but they do block a whole lot of virus germs from getting to others or to yourself. That would be my agreed opinion.

So if your right then I wasted a few months wearing something that I really didn't want to wear, but I did it for myself because I feel the more people that wear them the better chance I had. If I am right, you may have exposed yourself to a deadly virus that has been killing people DEAD for the last few months. I find that my way is better because at the end of this I have a better chance of being alive than your insistence that they don't work. The choice is yours.

In that same line the choice of insisting masks be used in places like Disney is not just for the protection of guests, but also the protection of the company, it's reputation and it's future. Remember that they are taking a massive income hit because of this. That tells me that they didn't make this decision without a lot of discussion. You don't want to wear them you don't go. That's my choice. You cannot decide that what you want supersedes that possible risk on others that you are creating. That freedom that is bantered about so easily, comes with a required responsibility. You cannot have one without the other.

DISCLAIMER: The words you and your have been used in the general sense and not at any poster in particular. Everyone knows which way they lean at this point.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
So like humans have done forever, we search until we find something that agrees with our opinion. With that you have one group saying that it is important to wear a mask and another group saying... Hell, it doesn't matter. If you don't want to wear the mask take a wild guess on which opinion you are going to go with.

When there are two conflicting official opinions, stated by people that should know the one thing you can be sure of is that one of them is wrong. You will decide what is right based on which one you want it to be. So in the case of the mask. Your agreed opinion says.. nope not worth the material they are made with, the other side says... No they are not 100% effective, but they do block a whole lot of virus germs from getting to others or to yourself. That would be my agreed opinion.

So if your right then I wasted a few months wearing something that I really didn't want to wear, but I did it for myself because I feel the more people that wear them the better chance I had. If I am right, you may have exposed yourself to a deadly virus that has been killing people DEAD for the last few months. I find that my way is better because at the end of this I have a better chance of being alive than your insistence that they don't work. The choice is yours.

In that same line the choice of insisting masks be used in places like Disney is not just for the protection of guests, but also the protection of the company, it's reputation and it's future. Remember that they are taking a massive income hit because of this. That tells me that they didn't make this decision without a lot of discussion. You don't want to wear them you don't go. That's my choice. You cannot decide that what you want supersedes that possible risk on others that you are creating. That freedom that is bantered about so easily, comes with a required responsibility. You cannot have one without the other.

DISCLAIMER: The words you and your have been used in the general sense and not at any poster in particular. Everyone knows which way they lean at this point.
I don't disagree with what you said. But there was a study linked here yesterday showing that the spouse of a person infected with Covid had a 27.8% chance of being infected and that other household members had a 19% chance. Someone posted a graphic showing that a person with Covid had a 70% chance of infecting a person who was wearing a mask. When I questioned the factual basis for that graphic, I was accused of "spreading misinformation." The only factual information I've ever posted on this site has come from the CDC or WHO. We can't be cowed into not asking questions - that does no one any good.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't disagree with what you said. But there was a study linked here yesterday showing that the spouse of a person infected with Covid had a 27.8% chance of being infected and that other household members had a 19% chance. Someone posted a graphic showing that a person with Covid had a 70% chance of infecting a person who was wearing a mask. When I questioned the factual basis for that graphic, I was accused of "spreading misinformation." We can't be cowed into not asking questions - that does no one any good.
The truth is we have no definitive proof on anything right now. There are various studies done on spread or in some cases people taking limited data and extrapolating it to support a hypothesis. When people post links to studies and articles I think everyone needs to realize it’s just one piece of data to consider. In other words don’t hold the results up as proof of anything or on the flip side dismiss something because it’s not definitive proof. The combination of our understanding of how infectious, viral diseases spread and the limited studies performed on masks with this particular virus point to masks being an effective piece of the overall mitigation plan. Until some more comprehensive research proves that masks aren‘t really effective they should be part of the plan. It’s very possible we will determine they are not as effective as we think. It’s equally possible it will turn out they are more effective. For now it’s the best plan we have.

On the concept of being accused of “spreading disinformation“ I think that just stems from the politicization of the issue. How many times has someone posted something and then been accused of spreading fear? Same concept. When you challenge the effectiveness of masks some people probably assume you are doing that because you are fighting the government requirement. Based on what you said I don’t think that‘s the case, but there are others in the other Covid thread still in full blown denial. Tensions are high and people sometimes assume intent without understanding where others are coming from. It’s good to continue to question all of the actions taken. No governors should be complacent or take a victory lap yet. We should continue to study the effectiveness of social distancing and masks and refine plans as new information becomes known.

Chi84

Premium Member
The truth is we have no definitive proof on anything right now. There are various studies done on spread or in some cases people taking limited data and extrapolating it to support a hypothesis. When people post links to studies and articles I think everyone needs to realize it’s just one piece of data to consider. In other words don’t hold the results up as proof of anything or on the flip side dismiss something because it’s not definitive proof. The combination of our understanding of how infectious, viral diseases spread and the limited studies performed on masks with this particular virus point to masks being an effective piece of the overall mitigation plan. Until some more comprehensive research proves that masks aren‘t really effective they should be part of the plan. It’s very possible we will determine they are not as effective as we think. It’s equally possible it will turn out they are more effective. For now it’s the best plan we have.

On the concept of being accused of “spreading disinformation“ I think that just stems from the politicization of the issue. How many times has someone posted something and then been accused of spreading fear? Same concept. When you challenge the effectiveness of masks some people probably assume you are doing that because you are fighting the government requirement. Based on what you said I don’t think that‘s the case, but there are others in the other Covid thread still in full blown denial. Tensions are high and people sometimes assume intent without understanding where others are coming from. It’s good to continue to question all of the actions taken. No governors should be complacent or take a victory lap yet. We should continue to study the effectiveness of social distancing and masks and refine plans as new information becomes known.
If we could all take a break from slapping labels on one another communication would improve dramatically.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If we could all take a break from slapping labels on one another communication would improve dramatically.
Agreed. I said this a number of times already: for the most part we all want the same stuff. We all want to stay safe and keep our loved ones safe, we all want to go back to some form of normal existence and we all want this pandemic to end. We may disagree on some of the day to day details to get to the end game, but the vast majority of people are not all that different. Mainstream media attempts to paint a picture of us vs them (on both sides) because that’s what’s better for ratings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom