MARVEL Mini-Land at EPCOT?

Princess Leia

F&F and Jimmy Fallon are both pretty big misses, but the rest of both parks are excellent. C'mon lol.
From the lands and rides I experienced last year (minus Potter and Spider-Man), I wouldn't say excellent, but they're pretty good. Seuss needs a face lift, as does half of Super Hero Island. Jurassic Park needs a non-water & non-kiddie attraction (which is rumored to happen). The over-reliance on screen based attractions detracts from the overall experience. But that's been discussed over and over, so I won't dive further into it.

Dutch Inn '76

Harry Potter is great and all, but there is certainly a plethora of other great attractions. I'd go just for Spiderman, ET, Transformers, Jurassic Park, Simpsons, MIB, and The Mummy.

The numbers say that tl77 is correct, though. BEFORE POTTER, USO was an Orlando footnote; now they are actually competing with Disney. Potter made the difference for USO. Some of those other rides are nice - but they didn't turn the general public's head the way Potter did.

matt9112

No, I don’t think there are many Universal IPs more popular than Marvel, but I think that a lot of people going to Universal are surprised that their Marvel attractions are different and unrelated to the movies, plus Universal has to pay royalties to Disney for using those comic IPs in their parks. So I think that eventually Universal will decide to get rid of their Marvel attractions in favor of using their own IP and keeping all of the profits as opposed to using outdated versions of popular characters and paying their biggest rivals a share of that profit.

comcast CEO hates iger....he will do ANYTHING to hurt disney and holding marvel back from WDW is huge. you are correct about the outdated versions but its irelevant they dont advertise or market marvel they would rather deal with that land and prevent disney from building some massive super mega land to cash in on. even paying royalties there holding disney back from so much more money.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The numbers say that tl77 is correct, though. BEFORE POTTER, USO was an Orlando footnote; now they are actually competing with Disney. Potter made the difference for USO. Some of those other rides are nice - but they didn't turn the general public's head the way Potter did.

That doesn't mean they other attractions were bad, it just took Potter to get people into the park for the first time to see what else it had to offer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very true. Whenever we visit in December the only part of the park(s) that have any type of wait times for attractions is pottersville. The rest of the rides in the park are nearly walk on.
Wish that was always the case. Over the years the other attractions have consistently gotten longer lines, guess that’s what getting more popular does.

TwilightZone

My point of reference is Universal Hollywood since I've never been to Universal Orlando. Harry Potter World was one of the most crowded areas, the second being jurassic park (I assume only because they had the raptor out). Though Harry Potter being crowded could have been a combination of really popular IP and really thin walkway (seriously this walkway was pretty thin compared to most of the park, or at least it seemed that way to me!).

WDWTank

This is more opinion than fact, but everyone I know only goes to Universal to see Harry Potter and comes back feeling that's the only thing at Universal worth the trip. If Disney built something the equivalent of a Tron Coaster themed to Marvel overseas, something that had that same level of enthusiasm from the public, then that's the sort of thing that would change public opinion.

The IP doesn't really matter to anyone but Bob Iger, Tron wasn't that successful a movie but the ride is so popular they're building one at Magic Kingdom... I don't know if anything bout Pandora is as exciting to people as the Tron coaster seems to be, even though Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time
I go to Universal to ride MIB :cool:

TwilightZone

I go to Universal to ride MIB :cool:
I went last year partially because harry potter, partially because king kong and fast and furious (this is what happens when you wait a really long stretch to go to uni), but also to visit the best simulator ride ever made, THE SIMPSONS.
Well ok simpsons is only next to soarin over california, but that ride's gone and I have no opinions formed for over the world yet, since I haven't ridden it yet, so simpsons.

rle4lunch

There really is no comparison. USH felt like an excellent tour with an attraction area squeezed in next to it. USO feels like two excellent theme parks within a resort. IMHO of course.

Agreed. I lived in CA for 11 years and everytime I visited USH it felt so cramped. The backlot tour was always cool (since it was an actual studio set and you saw actual actors and stuff walking around on current filming shoots). The other cool aspect was that you could sign up and go see sitcoms being taped and be an audience member for the Tonight Show and stuff.

US Orlando doesn't have those aspects, but is the superior of the two parks for sheer size and offerings overall.

Jones14

There really is no comparison. USH felt like an excellent tour with an attraction area squeezed in next to it. USO feels like two excellent theme parks within a resort. IMHO of course.
I do think, though, that USH has that quaint sort of charm when compared to the vastness of its sister. I liken USH to DHS, and USF to Epcot. Islands has always felt like AK.

mag2073

With the addition of GoTG at Epcot, I couldn't help but recall a statement at the last D23 where Bob Iger (If I remember correctly) described the Space-area as a new "Mini-Land."

I realize the Marvel Contract with Universal is severely limiting but GoTG were in that film, and ANT MAN was not. Obviously ANT-MAN could easily fit in the WONDERS OF LIFE Pavillion, and it remains to be seen whether the GoTG ride will retain some sort of "edutainment" element, but does anyone else wonder if WDI is intending to place more Marvel stuff in FUTURE WORLD?

And if so... what can they use?

Am I right in thinking they are limited to ANT-MAN, GoTG, Black Panther and DR. STRANGE?

So something like: Ant Man in Wonders of Life shrinking us down into the Quantum Realm? Dr. Strange in The Imagination Pavillion, talking about the powers of Creativity? Black Panther in The Land? and maybe something else at the Seas?

Couldn't they just have someone from the Marvel films introduce/narrate Spaceship Earth, as themselves and sidestep the contract, no?

Anyone else thinking Future World in headed toward being Marvel Land?

I would certainly hope that it doesn't become a mini Marvel Land. I always loved Epcot for its educational aspect of the park. With GoTG coming in there you're losing that aspect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom