Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

PhotoDave219

I doubt that very, very much. My sources are not that dumb or gullible. And none of them have an agenda with this. At least one that is readily apparent. ... And it has gotten to the point where front line CMs (you know the kind that make ... what $9.50 now?) have witnessed some interesting WDI and Top Brass behavior on both coasts. So ... something's afoot.

I would be very wary of jumping to a conclusion that this won't happen (although I would pray, if I did so, that it doesn't).

True - I made that mistake with Pandora.....

aladdin2007

What irks me is they constantly seem you know what bent now on ruining every solid attraction, yet things like imagination and energy and stitch etc, empty things like WoL, continue to keep going with hardly any attention while falling apart. Their priorities are just so screwed up they should be utterly embarrassed. They cant fix the problems they have but they can sure ruin what doesn't need fixing, because its a fast cheap money grab.

Last edited:

Luigi

@WDW1974 Any thoughts as to why TOT over say RnRC? Is it the contract with CBS is set to expire sooner than any licensing agreement with Aerosmith?
I'm trying to wrap my head around it, as we all seem to think a GOTG overlay would work better in RnRC over TOT. Also it seems fan backlash would be minimal. Would it be easier because if they do DL first, its cheaper just to copy than design and create new for RnRC?
I know how you feel, but have you heard anything "inside" regarding this?

kennyy_d

Ok, first off I hate everything about this rumor just like everyone else. When I first heard the news I was in complete shock. ToT is an amazing attraction that is wholistic and everything that WDI (used to) stand for. To see it being revised is completely absurd and makes me disgusted with the decision making skills the execs have right now.

After discussing it all over with my dad (my partner in crime involving all things disney) for a few days he brought up a good point. The entire park is bein completely gutted. Do I like Star Wars? Yes, if it's done right. Do I like Muppets, not exactly, but that will change the back part of the park. Pixar place? Toy Story Land? Now a marvel themed land. Keep in mind they will have to change the name too. Right now it looks like a hodge-podge of crap, random movies and lands popping up everywhere. But if the rumor sticks they will likely retheme that whole area. Get rid of RnR and God forbid Fantasmic (although to me Fantasmic has a universal theme that could be justified to go along with the new park). In the long run its a business move, and will probably make a crap ton of money. Do I like it? No, absolutely not, but do you think the 500 people on this forum will make an impact on their decisions probably not. Frustrating and beyond disappointing. But if you can see the "big picture" it makes (a minuscule if that amount of) sense.

Again, I am not in favor of this whatsoever. However with the entire park changing it seems like they're out of options. They can either keep sunset blv. and that area completely the same, compromising the storyline or theme, or they can change it to marvel and hope it all works itself out.

I don't know guys. Doesn't make sense. Just trying to figure out the motivation or justification of all this...

kennyy_d

What irks me is they constantly seem you know what bent now on ruining every solid attraction, yet things like imagination and energy and stitch etc, empty things like WoL, continue to keep going with hardly any attention while falling apart. Their priorities are just so screwed up they should be utterly embarrassed. They cant fix the problems they have but they can sure ruin what doesn't need fixing, because its a fast cheap money grab.

Wish I could like this more than once. Completely agree...:banghead:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just trying to figure out the motivation or justification of all this...
Something to market as "new" by spending as little as possible in a park that will have even less appeal in 12-18 months?

There is nothing wrong with Sunset. Same as Hollywood Blvd, the entrance plaza, echo and the hub have a matching 30s theme. Hardly a hodge podge. If anything it's part of the largest most coherent theme in the place.

captainmoch

I think there will be a place for the 30s Hollywood theme as the park moves on. It makes sense... start out in "the Hollywood that never was and always will be" before actually walking into the movies that Hollywood created. Removing Sunset, arguably some of the best of that 30s theming, to make an extremely limited "Guardians Land" would be idiotic.

kennyy_d

Something to market as "new" by spending as little as possible in a park that will have even less appeal in 12-18 months?

There is nothing wrong with Sunset. Same as Hollywood Blvd, the entrance plaza, echo and the hub have a matching 30s theme. Hardly a hodge podge. If anything it's part of the largest most coherent theme in the place.

By hodge podge I was referring to all the seemingly unrelated lands popping up. Muppets, Marvel, Toy Story, Star Wars, and Pixar Play Place NOT Hollywood Boulevard. I love that entire area, very well themed, but with everything changing they may be trying to just keep up. In with the new out with the old attitude. I don't think there's anything wrong with Sunset... I'm stunned they're changing it. To me, if they don't change everything around ToT it will stick out like a sore thumb, it'll just look awful. There will have to be some extensive changes if they follow through with this one...

kennyy_d

I think there will be a place for the 30s Hollywood theme as the park moves on. It makes sense... start out in "the Hollywood that never was and always will be" before actually walking into the movies that Hollywood created. Removing Sunset, arguably some of the best of that 30s theming, to make an extremely limited "Guardians Land" would be idiotic.

Ok ya that makes sense... I can see that. Moving from old into the new, similar to Main St USA...?

hokielutz

Not at all. I would be shocked if the phrase ''at this time" wasn't given to callers ... I am sure that it would be placed in any written communication, though. Disney is consistent in that anything/everything is subject to change. By the time the fiscal year begins in October so many other things will have happened. They aren't worried that on March 23rd they received 111 emails and 23 phone calls regarding this ...

So folks on here, myself included, appear to be trying to make an honest effort to head off, what you say is, an oncoming train... before it gets past the last track switch and destroys a monument to creativity on Sunset Blvd. Yet the vibe you put out is that we are wasting our time.

Then what, o great one, will make a difference???

RSoxNo1

It really is mind boggling. They thankfully greenlit the no brainer additions like Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land (only about 5+ years too late), and then they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do not have brains capable of making good decisions. I am convinced that numerous members of these forums that have the slightest business sense could have better managed the parks over the last decade.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank you for confirming that there's hope.

I suppose I should've said "is there any indication of when ToT would close."
Don't get me wrong. There's more chance of this lunatic idea happening than not.

Like many others I just pray common sense prevails let alone pride and professionalism. And I don't usually pray.

Last edited:

Chris82

It really is mind boggling. They thankfully greenlit the no brainer additions like Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land (only about 5+ years too late), and then they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do not have brains capable of making good decisions. I am convinced that numerous members of these forums that have the slightest business sense could have better managed the parks over the last decade.

Or, heck, they just need a twelve-year-old kid in there making decisions. Isn't that, according to the stories, how we got both the original Star Tours and Splash Mountain? Where's Eisner's son when you need him?

On the topic of thematic cohesion, Passport2Dreams has Sunset Boulevard as the #2 greatest moment in design at Walt Disney World: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2009/04/eight-great-moments-of-design-at-walt.html. I'm inclined to agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom