Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Floyd M

Don't get me wrong. There's more chance of this lunatic idea happening than not.

Like many others I just pray common sense prevails let along pride and professionalism. And I don't usually pray.

One item of uncertainty from a concerned Californian : is it possible the plans for DCA's Tower could progress even if wiser minds (hopefully) prevail at DHS, or would this abomination only move forward as a bicoastal project? Any insight would be most appreciated, many thanks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One item of uncertainty from a concerned Californian : is it possible the plans for DCA's Tower could progress even if wiser minds (hopefully) prevail at DHS, or would this abomination only move forward as a bicoastal project? Any insight would be most appreciated, many thanks.
Technically it's a cross funded project and that usually means all or nothing if so. Unless clearer heads prevail (though in which case I would hope DCAs tower is left alone too)

Just to muddy it a bit more TDO could be forced into agreeing should they refuse. It's happened before, but their refusal in the past has also led to other projects being shelved on both coasts.

Floyd M

Technically it's a cross funded project and that usually means all or nothing if so. Unless clearer heads prevail (though in which case I would hope DCAs tower is left alone too)

Just to muddy it a bit more TDO could be forced into agreeing should they refuse. It's happened before, but their refusal in the past has also led to other projects being shelved on both coasts.

Very interesting, thank you. Until the shoe officially drops, I'll cling to some hope that we will continue to have two versions of this iconic attraction standing tall in the U.S. And if they want to build a Guardians attraction elsewhere, more power to them.

RSoxNo1

Or, heck, they just need a twelve-year-old kid in there making decisions. Isn't that, according to the stories, how we got both the original Star Tours and Splash Mountain? Where's Eisner's son when you need him?

On the topic of thematic cohesion, Passport2Dreams has Sunset Boulevard as the #2 greatest moment in design at Walt Disney World: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2009/04/eight-great-moments-of-design-at-walt.html. I'm inclined to agree.
I wrote out this post with "a 5 year old could make better decisions" and then downplayed it to the members of this forum.

hokielutz

Or, heck, they just need a twelve-year-old kid in there making decisions. Isn't that, according to the stories, how we got both the original Star Tours and Splash Mountain? Where's Eisner's son when you need him?

Where you ask???
He did not follow in the steps of Peter Pan and has grown up... and likely became pencil pusher or Corp suit for someone else.

AEfx

I have to note the irony of people who generally complain about Disney being "outside" IP-addicts are so bent out of shape about Disney possibly changing out an IP that Disney does not/did not/will not ever own.

Now before some over-achieving knee-jerker jumps down my throat in belief that I support this - I don't, particularly - I am actually rather "meh" about it to be honest as I have always felt ToT lacking in show to begin with, it's never been my favorite. However, to see folks get so up in arms about a non-Disney IP when so much of the complaining 'round here is IP-based, is pretty humorous.

Brer Panther

What irks me is they constantly seem you know what bent now on ruining every solid attraction, yet things like imagination and energy and stitch etc, empty things like WoL, continue to keep going with hardly any attention while falling apart. Their priorities are just so screwed up they should be utterly embarrassed. They cant fix the problems they have but they can sure ruin what doesn't need fixing, because its a fast cheap money grab.
Like I said, they probably consider Stitch sacred ground. Look at how much promotion it got when it opened, they were clearly proud of it.

FigmentJedi

I have to note the irony of people who generally complain about Disney being "outside" IP-addicts are so bent out of shape about Disney possibly changing out an IP that Disney does not/did not/will not ever own.

Now before some over-achieving knee-jerker jumps down my throat in belief that I support this - I don't, particularly - I am actually rather "meh" about it to be honest as I have always felt ToT lacking in show to begin with, it's never been my favorite. However, to see folks get so up in arms about a non-Disney IP when so much of the complaining 'round here is IP-based, is pretty humorous.
The Studios's purpose was to be the outside IP containment zone anyways.

The flack being given to something like Avatar is very much driven by the Blue Smurfs not being sent to the reservation.

Hula Popper

After discussing it all over with my dad (my partner in crime involving all things disney) for a few days he brought up a good point. The entire park is bein completely gutted. Do I like Star Wars? Yes, if it's done right. Do I like Muppets, not exactly, but that will change the back part of the park. Pixar place? Toy Story Land? Now a marvel themed land. Keep in mind they will have to change the name too. Right now it looks like a hodge-podge of crap, random movies and lands popping up everywhere. But if the rumor sticks they will likely retheme that whole area. Get rid of RnR and God forbid Fantasmic (although to me Fantasmic has a universal theme that could be justified to go along with the new park). In the long run its a business move, and will probably make a crap ton of money. Do I like it? No, absolutely not, but do you think the 500 people on this forum will make an impact on their decisions probably not. Frustrating and beyond disappointing. But if you can see the "big picture" it makes (a minuscule if that amount of) sense.

Again, I am not in favor of this whatsoever. However with the entire park changing it seems like they're out of options. They can either keep sunset blv. and that area completely the same, compromising the storyline or theme, or they can change it to marvel and hope it all works itself out.
\

Completely disagree. Don't see how, in any way, how dumping Sunset Boulevard could be considered the only or a preferred option.

Sunset Boulevard is fantastic (though the Aerosmith themed RnRC is an awkward fit) and there is absolutely no need to re-theme it for the new DHS. Dumping the working studios theme in favor of the Hollywood/movie adventure theme doesn't render Sunset Boulevard a bad fit or compromise any story-line. In fact, quite the opposite, if that area is goes, the new park becomes MORE of a hodge-podge and disjointed. Keep Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard and Echo Lake as the general ode to Hollywood and the movie & television entertainment world, and then from there immerse yourself in a few of the greatest movie & television entertainment franchises of all time - Star Wars, Toy Story, the Muppets, and [Indiana Jones or whatever else]. If they want to do a token Marvel presence through Guardians of the Galaxy, and, instead of something new, won't consider anything, but a shoehorn fit into an existing attraction, change up the RnRC. The theming is much less critical to the attraction and far less integral to the rest of Sunset Boulevard. And there are lots of possibilities.**

On the "business move" and "probably make a crap ton of money," I don't buy that either. On the short term, I don't really see a re-theme of the Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy as being a draw that will pull back in single-day DHS admission visitors or will get people to extent their WDW stay. In the long term, they won't need to spend resources re-theming Sunset Boulevard because the Star Wars and Toy Story lands will be driving people into the park.

I've not been to California Adventure to see what ToT and the associated area theming is like there to know whether changing ToT there would be an awkward and disruptive move. If it's not the same presence and anchor that it is at DHS, and it's sitting at the gateway to the area that makes the most sense for building out a substantial Marvel presence, one could understand why a change may be considered over there. But this whole idea has never made a single bit of sense whatsoever for Florida and DHS or whatever it's going to end up being called.

** Do something in front if it like an old comic book store promoting the latest Guardians of the Galaxy issue. In addition to the primary GotG comic focus, they could secondarily feature old school Disney character comics and comic illustrations featuring characters appearing both in comics and Disney movies like the Lone Ranger, Davy Crockett, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. They could easily work in one of their precious gift shops with a Marvel and comic focus, related memorabilia and whatever. Have the queue/pre-show be comic illustration style and with some of the music from the mix-tape or maybe, to fit the older Hollywood theme, old, crackly radio broadcast show type readings/narration of GotG comics. The coaster could be the where the GotG comic world is transformed into the real world with some more music from the mix-tape.

FrosteeLemon

Sunset Boulevard is fantastic (though the Aerosmith themed RnRC is an awkward fit) and there is absolutely no need to re-theme it for the new DHS. Dumping the working studios theme in favor of the Hollywood/movie adventure theme doesn't render Sunset Boulevard a bad fit or compromise any story-line. In fact, quite the opposite, if that area is goes, the new park becomes MORE of a hodge-podge and disjointed. Keep Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard and Echo Lake as the general ode to Hollywood and the movie & television entertainment world, and then from there immerse yourself in a few of the greatest movie & television entertainment franchises of all time - Star Wars, Toy Story, the Muppets, and [Indiana Jones or whatever else]. If they want to do a token Marvel presence through Guardians of the Galaxy, and, instead of something new, won't consider anything, but a shoehorn fit into an existing attraction, change up the RnRC. The theming is much less critical to the attraction and far less integral to the rest of Sunset Boulevard. And there are lots of possibilities.**

On the "business move" and "probably make a crap ton of money," I don't buy that either. On the short term, I don't really see a re-theme of the Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy as being a draw that will pull back in single-day DHS admission visitors or will get people to extent their WDW stay. In the long term, they won't need to spend resources re-theming Sunset Boulevard because the Star Wars and Toy Story lands will be driving people into the park.

I totally agree with you! This is why I can't see the reason for Disney to do such a thing. It will only make people angry and it will not give them any advantage. I can totally understand a GotG new ride, but destroy such a popular ride... I know Disney made some bad moves recently, but are they this dumb?

Cesar R M

So folks on here, myself included, appear to be trying to make an honest effort to head off, what you say is, an oncoming train... before it gets past the last track switch and destroys a monument to creativity on Sunset Blvd. Yet the vibe you put out is that we are wasting our time.

Then what, o great one, will make a difference???
Someone should buy thousands of "glitter" bombs to Chapek.
or the more severe variants of it lol.

Cesar R M

I don't really see a re-theme of the Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy as being a draw that will pull back in single-day DHS admission visitors or will get people to extent their WDW stay.
dont downplay the powe rof Disney PR Twisting.
If they can lie about star wars land being already there at DHS, they can lie about Guardians being a "new attraction" and not just a crappy overlay.

seabreezept813

I read this forum but have never posted on it or any forum for that matter. When I saw this news, I emailed Bob Chapek right away and have since spoken to an Alyssa. She claims that she had to google this "rumor" to find out what I was talking about in the first place. When I asked her if Bob Chapek had made any comment officially or unofficially, she said that he has not spoken about this news in any capacity. In summary, she said there are not any plans to change TOT in the near future, but honestly said that the tower and any ride could be altered or removed in the future to update the parks. She also duly noted that my outrage would be shared. Needless to say, I did not feel comforted.

alphac2005

I know Lance is a schmuck because he has taken my material over the years without giving me credit.
His bold move on many is to slightly alter or add his general bs in order to differentiate between what you've stated and his post to not give the credit that is due all the while what he's added is almost universally wrong (made up, delivered by a magical leprechaun, etc.) and has been so for years.

rioriz

dont downplay the powe rof Disney PR Twisting.
If they can lie about star wars land being already there at DHS, they can lie about Guardians being a "new attraction" and not just a crappy overlay.

Well lets not say it will be Crappy...yet...

If TDA wants it Im sure they are going to spend the money to make it a good re-theme. However that is a tough thing to say because there is nothing good about re-theming one of the best themed rides on the planet

captainmoch

Personally, I still think that both ToT and RNRC should stay. Instead of remodeling TOT/RNRC to add Guardians and ruining those perfectly fine rides... can't they just make Phase 3 a combination of a GOTG miniland and maybe an Indiana Jones miniland? Those series wouldn't need as in-depth lands as SWL/TSL, all they would need is one original, purpose-built, capacity-adding e-ticket with a bit of a surrounding area each. Yeah it'd be more expensive... but it'd also actually add capacity, what the park NEEDS! Retheming TOT is such a waste of resources! Geez, I wish I was a Disney exec sometimes...

Sorry about stating the obvious, but there's so many more options that'd be better than this GOTG-TOT mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom