Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
barrett-bilk-splsh.jpg

Quinnmac000

Unless Universal gets something, they aren't going to give up an easy money maker for them...I don't think ever unless the rest of Marvel Cinematic Universe horribly flops but even then so, if people still are still coming, Universal will keep them and Disney can't do anything about it.

Theme parks and other business aspects are already two different things. Disney already works with Universal for Hulu, pre-orders on fandango (owned by Comcast), VOD as Comcast is a cable and internet provider which are both necessary to stream films and almost with Comcast cable on deals regard ESPN, Disney and all their other channels. In those areas, TWDC/Comcast need each other as they provide a service the other doesn't have.

Theme Parks are a different ballgame as they are direct competition for a marketshare especially in Orlando. While tides lift all the ships, Universal wants to be lifted the highest with the least amount of effort. With Fox and Disney putting out Marvel entertainment, Universal can literally use any of them as long as they are part of one of the teams which surprisingly all the characters have been (minus BH6 which ironically is the only one). Universal gets to reap all the benefits of their promotions of the films to promote Marvel Superhero Island. Comcast currently hasn't used it to their advantage but I'm sure eventually they will while also being the only place where you could potential see every character regardless of what company it is owned by including Deadpool, X-men, Spider-man, and the Avengers.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ahhh I think I see what the problem is here, you guys think that 1994 contract is still valid don't you? Try reading it all the way down to the bottom, the last section letter "i" ...loosely translated it states that the contract is only valid as long as Marvel owns and controls at least a 25% of their own company. It's a weird clause that's only in there because back in 1994 Marvel was on the verge of bankruptcy, and were selling off rights to makes meet. But since Marvel sold 100% of their company to the Walt Disney Company in 2009, most of this contract has been invalid

But even thought the contact is invalid, here in America we have a legal concept that "ownership is nine tenths the law" and because of that Universal still owns some stuff from when the contract was still valid. The big thing being territory east of the Mississippi river, and they own the Marvel themed stuff that currently in their Orlando park, which basically amounts to a lot of signs that say Hulk Coaster and Dr Doom Drop, and large cut out billboard type images of the Marvel characters that are stuck to the sides of the non descript buildings... but all they own "in perpetuity" are right to keep things their Hulk Coaster signs east of the Mississippi, they can keep that stuff forever... but I got feeling they are going to be getting rid of it real soon

That clause simply defines what a "Marvel Related Company" is. Every place where "Marvel Related Company" is mentioned in the contact is state thusly: "Marvel or a Marvel Related Company". Disney bought Marvel so they are still bound by the contract.

Cesar R M

I'd say tied for best, old chum.

I don't mind his art. It's not great, but hardly the worst I've ever seen in a comic. I've likened his art to a meal at Denny's- NOBODY is going to mistake it for 5 Star Cuisine, but sometimes that's what you're in the mood for and it's familiar enough so you'll know what to expect.

His "writing", if it can be called that, is an affront to God* and Man and should never be allowed to happen again by any sane person.

*And I mean that quite literally. He once wrote a story where Jesus pulled himself off of the cross so he could wrestle the Greek Pantheon.
Sounds like he ripped off some ideas for the next games of "God of War" :hilarious:

Cesar R M

You guyzz I read a contract once and now I'm a lawyer. Marvel is going into the 5th gate, take it to the bank
Oh gods, It reminds me of those youtube comments.
"I gave aspirin to my grandmother while a nurse checked her out.. I'm a Doctor of the levels of Gregory House, Mordin Solus and all the super doctors of the universe! in a single entity!"

Smiddimizer

Question that has probably been addressed but I'm too lazy to check: would (or could) a Universal Avengers ride borrow the likeness and actors of the MCU (RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, etc)?

Quinnmac000

Question that has probably been addressed but I'm too lazy to check: would (or could) a Universal Avengers ride borrow the likeness and actors of the MCU (RDJ, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, etc)?

Yes, as it fits in the Marvel Style guidelines. When it comes down to the characters and the likeness of the character any image of them being used can be used in the parks. Universal however can't make Spiderman wear a purple and green suit etc as he never had that image before in a Marvel produced product. However, paying for the actors and actually getting them involved would be where Universal may have problems. The film division is already having some problems with Universal according to Marc Ruffalo hints no Hulk standalone films with him yet.

Donaldfan1934

Isn't there a clause in the Univeral contract saying that Marvel would need to be involved if any fundamentally changes happen. I heard that they had to be very specific on the Spiderman refurb a few years ago because of it.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Isn't there a clause in the Univeral contract saying that Marvel would need to be involved if any fundamentally changes. I heard that they had to be very specific on the Spiderman refurb a few years ago because of it.
Maybe has to give reasonable approval. That is a rather well established concept. They can't just keep saying "No!" because their bosses at Disney want them to stall the project. If it is in accordance with Marvel's established image then they have no grounds to refuse approval.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom