Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Quinnmac000

You hit the nail on the head here. You can't go on about Universal building super fast and create excuses for them not building more Marvel.

Umm yea you can. The other things they are building super fast are projects where they don't need any outside permissions or approval to create as they already own the rights. Whereas with Marvel, there is bureaucracy they have to go through first. And yes per the contract, Marvel does have to make the actors available to Universal if they request it. WIth that it causes more time for them to create Marvel attractions as they have to wait for Marvel to provide them the resources necessary to create the attractions.

B. Marvel will reasonably cooperate in making information, artwork, archive material, key personnel, etc. available to MCA in order that MCA can creatively develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and exploit its rights hereunder. MCA will reimburse Marvel for its reasonable costs in this regard, including time of non-executive personnel and their reasonable travel expense.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

Donaldfan1934

You can't have it both ways. Either Universal should have acted following one film to exploit new found popularity or they have something with legs and don't need to act rashly.
Well sometimes it does work both ways. Marvel has always had some legs, but this is less about newfound popularity and more about skyrocketing popularity. Same thing can be said about all of the Star Wars additions coming to the parks. Since the evergreen popularity of Marvel is now reaching new heights, the only logical explanation is to go forward with plans for more Marvel asap. And I personally think that they definitely would of they could based on their track record. notice how they've updated things recently, but haven't added any. This is most likely all Universal can do to really enhance the Marvel area.

Donaldfan1934

Umm yea you can. The other things they are building super fast are projects where they don't need any outside permissions or approval to create as they already own the rights. Whereas with Marvel, there is bureaucracy they have to go through first. And yes per the contract, Marvel does have to make the actors available to Universal if they request it. WIth that it causes more time for them to create Marvel attractions as they have to wait for Marvel to provide them the resources necessary to create the attractions.
Well they don't own Potter or Transfomers either and everything involving them came up when they wanted them. And that's my entire point, they're at Marvel's mercy and they'll do whatever they can to prolong if not outright cancel the project. Also, I'm not sure that getting actors was part of the contract. Remember, Universal and Marvel made the contract years before the movies became precedent.

lazyboy97o

Well sometimes it does work both ways. Marvel has always had some legs, but this is less about newfound popularity and more about skyrocketing popularity. Same thing can be said about all of the Star Wars additions coming to the parks. Since the evergreen popularity of Marvel is now reaching new heights, the only logical explanation is to go forward with plans for more Marvel asap. And I personally think that they definitely would of they could based on their track record. notice how they've updated things recently, but haven't added any. This is most likely all Universal can do to really enhance the Marvel area.
Except that an Avengers attraction is in development.

Well they don't own Potter or Transfomers either and everything involving them came up when they wanted them. And that's my entire point, they're at Marvel's mercy and they'll do whatever they can to prolong if not outright cancel the project. Also, I'm not sure that getting actors was part of the contract. Remember, Universal and Marvel made the contract years before the movies became precedent.
That would be in violation of the contract.

Phil12

Uh, I believe the offensive stereotype you made that I was referring to was "all millennials listen to/care about trashy hip-hop music."
Since when is hip hop trashy? After all, it's the most listened to musical genre in the world. It's just as valid as rock and roll, blues, country and western, rag-time and salsa. Why would you take offense to a highly popular musical category?

Donaldfan1934

Except that an Avengers attraction is in development.

That would be in violation of the contract.
The thing about an Avengers attraction is that I have not heard anything of it anywhere but on this forum. Not that I don believe that they have tried in the past, it just seem unlikely considering all of the other stuff they have or are heavily rumored to have planned. If they're at the mercy of Marvel, they must have found some sort of loophole. For example, maybe Universal wanted all of the actors, but Marvel deemed it "unreasonable". We can argue over contract specifics all day, but I'm sticking by my theory that Universal would've done it in some form by now even if they could only use the comic book versions.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Since when is hip hop trashy? After all, it's the most listened to musical genre in the world. It's just as valid as rock and roll, blues, country and western, rag-time and salsa. Why would you take offense to a highly popular musical category?

Oh I don't know rapping abou capping whitey and slapping Ho's around would get most people arrested if they made these comments in casual conversation

matt78

The thing about an Avengers attraction is that I have not heard anything of it anywhere but on this forum. Not that I don believe that they have tried in the past, it just seem unlikely considering all of the other stuff they have or are heavily rumored to have planned. If they're at the mercy of Marvel, they must have found some sort of loophole. For example, maybe Universal wanted all of the actors, but Marvel deemed it "unreasonable". We can argue over contract specifics all day, but I'm sticking by my theory that Universal would've done it in some form by now even if they could only use the comic book versions.

Where else would you expect to hear about it. If its 2 or 3 years away Universal isn't going to announce it this soon. They would rightfully fear that people would put off going to Universal until after it is open.

lazyboy97o

The problem with your theory is that the contract is a matter of public record and that Marvel has made changes to Marvel Super Hero Island, including one that is happening right now.

Donaldfan1934

Plus consider one of the reasons Universal is adding other IPs instead of expanding Marvel is merchandising. They already have Marvel covered. Potter is a gold mine. Springfield=$8 Beers. Transformers is selling well. Hello Kitty? Hello!

And just think, if they start now, they can align Avengers and Nintendo vs SWL.

NERDFEST 2020!
Still, what Universal has isn't really centric around the current hierarchy of importance. It almost seems to put the Fantastic Four above most of the Avengers. Harry Potter may have strong appeal as a well themed land or with the young adult crowd that grew up with it, but it certainly doesn't have children like Marvel still has. Transformers is a solid IP, but it still isn't as powerful as Marvel is. Springfield and Hello Kitty were just restaurants and theming around an existing ride and retail respectivley. Nintendo is pretty close though, but I think they would've made Marvel top priority if there weren't some sort of issues.

lazyboy97o

Still, what Universal has isn't really centric around the current hierarchy of importance. It almost seems to put the Fantastic Four above most of the Avengers. Harry Potter may have strong appeal as a well themed land or with the young adult crowd that grew up with it, but it certainly doesn't have children like Marvel still has. Transformers is a solid IP, but it still isn't as powerful as Marvel is. Springfield and Hello Kitty were just restaurants and theming around an existing ride and retail respectivley. Nintendo is pretty close though, but I think they would've made Marvel top priority if there weren't some sort of issues.
Or Universal understand that you don't fix what isn't broken. You don't just keep fixing what already works because it is suddenly more popular when other areas of your offerings have been allowed to languish. Even then, the land's two major attractions have seen improvements and that includes one of the world's most highly regarded rides.

Matt_Black

Still, what Universal has isn't really centric around the current hierarchy of importance. It almost seems to put the Fantastic Four above most of the Avengers.

The only thing that FF has that Avengers doesn't is DOOM! Best archenemy EVER. If he comes across as less than awesome in the movies, it's because it's all part of an ongoing smear campaign orchestrated by that accursed Richards. RICHAAAAAARDS!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom