Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Rodan75

Universal just dumped a ton of money into the Hulk ride which is "just for Orlando", so this is clearly not an issue for them. I don't see Universal giving up the rights until Disney throws a ton of money (or something of equivalent value) at them, or the popularity of Marvel drop considerably.

Agreed. IMHO the only way Uni abandons their lucrative Marvel contract is if they were to purchase Time Warner and wanted to replace MSHI with DCSHI or decide to retheme the island to another InHouse IP. Any other outside IP would likely cost more and bring in less revenue.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Universal just dumped a ton of money into the Hulk ride which is "just for Orlando", so this is clearly not an issue for them. I don't see Universal giving up the rights until Disney throws a ton of money (or something of equivalent value) at them, or the popularity of Marvel drop considerably.

True but I don't think there's a lot about the hulk coaster that would have to be changed to theme it something else. Probably could be done pretty easily. Paint might cost the most lol

tl77

Dunno if I would throw everyone under the bus here because I would describe that Guardians pitch for Tower as "legit" but I don't think it will ever happen (the ride in Anaheim certainly has an Marvel IP in its future tho make no mistake).

But yes this is exactly what I was referring to when I dropped that link. What could Disney offer to Comcast that would be compelling enough to let Comcast "clear up" some confusion on the Marvel contract? A truckload of money? Cause I see a lot of little slices of Star Wars on demand revenue in Comcast's future. Like a lot a lot.

Btw Disney just licensed away all the leverage it will ever have in distributing its content library online for themselves too. But thereby hangs another rant....

Since the Marvel Comic Book Company exists in name only now, and Disney owns all their characters and content, Comcast can't do anything in their park without Mickey Mouse's say so, except to keep what they currently have in the their park and bar Disney from building anything west of the Mississippi, plus they now have to split the profits on the merchandise they sell with Disney ...what do you think Comcast can do exactly besides hold out forever? It's not like their Marvel stuff is on the same level as their Harry Potter offerings

imperius

Since the Marvel Comic Book Company exists in name only now, and Disney owns all their characters and content, Comcast can't do anything in their park without Mickey Mouse's say so, except to keep what they currently have in the their park and bar Disney from building anything west of the Mississippi, plus they now have to split the profits on the merchandise they sell with Disney ...what do you think Comcast can do exactly besides hold out forever? It's not like their Marvel stuff is on the same level as their Harry Potter offerings
Except when they build a new avengers ride in IOA and their upgraded queu experience on Hulk.
Also, Disney owns the characters but not their theme park rights or most movie rights. So the owners of those can and will do what ever they want. Which is why Sony did whatever they want with Spidey, fox with Deadpool and th xmen.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But the mouse can only deny changes that don't fit the style guide for the characters, so Universal has a lot of freedom to upgrade and add new rides if they want to. They may be splitting merchandise, but they probably have a bargain when it comes to licensing fees. Any other IP they could license would probably end up costing them more in licensing fees, for an IP that isn't as popular as Marvel.

Disneyhead'71

They like Marvel. They just don't like that it's at Universal. They want Marvel-Land at DHS, around roughly... LMA-ish, and they want it opened right after Star Wars: The Land Awakens.
I find that hilarious. I remember how much people around here liked Marvel prior to Disney buying them. They hated superheroes and marvel in particular. Marvel was a huge point of hatred for Universal. An shining example of Universal's sucktitude. Disney fans HATED Marvel.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I find that hilarious. I remember how much people around here liked Marvel prior to Disney buying them. They hated superheroes and marvel in particular. Marvel was a huge point of hatred for Universal. An shining example of Universal's sucktitude. Disney fans HATED Marvel.

Some of us still don't understand the Disney fanboi communities recent infatuation with all things Marvel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom