Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Rodan75

But the mouse can only deny changes that don't fit the style guide for the characters, so Universal has a lot of freedom to upgrade and add new rides if they want to. They may be splitting merchandise, but they probably have a bargain when it comes to licensing fees. Any other IP they could license would probably end up costing them more in licensing fees, for an IP that isn't as popular as Marvel.

What I don't understand is if the style guide is required to be updated or not. It seems if Marvel/Disney had any leverage left it would be in keeping the depictions locked into earlier interpretations of characters. However, parts of the contract are specific about including updated versions of the characters and new characters...but if that were 100% true, WDW couldn't use BH6 or GOTG at all.

Disney doesn't have a lot wiggle room, this seems like the only unclear area.

Cesar R M

They just can't wait for Disney to bring all those really cool Marvel attractions that have been built in other Disney parks to WDW.... Oh wait... ;)
gFvplok.png

I find that hilarious. I remember how much people around here liked Marvel prior to Disney buying them. They hated superheroes and marvel in particular. Marvel was a huge point of hatred for Universal. An shining example of Universal's sucktitude. Disney fans HATED Marvel.
pixie snorting is an amazing thing!

some of us still hate Marvel!

I still hate them for branching their darn comics way too much.
Now to see the whole story, you have either purchase 300 books in a year.. the specials, the expanded and then the deluxe versions.. or the overpriced "collections" plus the deluxe versions.
Not to mention.. we have like 30 spidermans now!
and 10 of them have their own personal books now!

I'm Gen X, and I'm obsessed with superheroes. Granted, I grew up on Challenge of the SuperFriends and Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends. And then, in middle school, along came Batman: The Animated Series.

aaah, those days where there where darn good series every weekend!
I miss Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, DuckTales, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc..

lazyboy97o

What I don't understand is if the style guide is required to be updated or not. It seems if Marvel/Disney had any leverage left it would be in keeping the depictions locked into earlier interpretations of characters. However, parts of the contract are specific about including updated versions of the characters and new characters...but if that were 100% true, WDW couldn't use BH6 or GOTG at all.

Disney doesn't have a lot wiggle room, this seems like the only unclear area.
The style guides are what Marvel actively uses to create their content. They cannot lock them down on Universal without locking themselves down too.

Mike S

I still hate them for branching their darn comics way too much.
Now to see the whole story, you have either purchase 300 books in a year.. the specials, the expanded and then the deluxe versions.. or the overpriced "collections" plus the deluxe versions.
Not to mention.. we have like 30 spidermans now!
and 10 of them have their own personal books now!
That's why I stick to the movies.

tl77

Except when they build a new avengers ride in IOA and their upgraded queu experience on Hulk.
Also, Disney owns the characters but not their theme park rights or most movie rights. So the owners of those can and will do what ever they want. Which is why Sony did whatever they want with Spidey, fox with Deadpool and th xmen.

But the mouse can only deny changes that don't fit the style guide for the characters, so Universal has a lot of freedom to upgrade and add new rides if they want to. They may be splitting merchandise, but they probably have a bargain when it comes to licensing fees. Any other IP they could license would probably end up costing them more in licensing fees, for an IP that isn't as popular as Marvel.

Ahhh I think I see what the problem is here, you guys think that 1994 contract is still valid don't you? Try reading it all the way down to the bottom, the last section letter "i" ...loosely translated it states that the contract is only valid as long as Marvel owns and controls at least a 25% of their own company. It's a weird clause that's only in there because back in 1994 Marvel was on the verge of bankruptcy, and were selling off rights to makes meet. But since Marvel sold 100% of their company to the Walt Disney Company in 2009, most of this contract has been invalid

But even thought the contact is invalid, here in America we have a legal concept that "ownership is nine tenths the law" and because of that Universal still owns some stuff from when the contract was still valid. The big thing being territory east of the Mississippi river, and they own the Marvel themed stuff that currently in their Orlando park, which basically amounts to a lot of signs that say Hulk Coaster and Dr Doom Drop, and large cut out billboard type images of the Marvel characters that are stuck to the sides of the non descript buildings... but all they own "in perpetuity" are right to keep things their Hulk Coaster signs east of the Mississippi, they can keep that stuff forever... but I got feeling they are going to be getting rid of it real soon

Cesar R M

Animaniacs is now on netflix...
sadly, not on the Mexican version.
infact, the Mexico's netflix only has like.. 10% or 20% of what Netflix US has.

The interesting part is, things are constantly being replaced. Aka instead of adding. Netflix removes then adds other things.
Like they have to wiggle on the studios and producers deals.

Cesar R M

Also, they made very poor decisions in general in the 90s. Heck, they let Rob Liefeld write a couple of books!
I think that was actually one of the reasons of the crash.
He was treated like a god. Yet his art was stunningly a failure in anatomy and style.
Not to mention his constant tracings he called "references to other comics" and outright character thief.
Also , the creation of his own "character" for x-men that was the most dumbest thing ever.. design wise and power wise.. (Shatterstar)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ahhh I think I see what the problem is here, you guys think that 1994 contract is still valid don't you? Try reading it all the way down to the bottom, the last section letter "i" ...loosely translated it states that the contract is only valid as long as Marvel owns and controls at least a 25% of their own company. It's a weird clause that's only in there because back in 1994 Marvel was on the verge of bankruptcy, and were selling off rights to makes meet. But since Marvel sold 100% of their company to the Walt Disney Company in 2009, most of this contract has been invalid

But even thought the contact is invalid, here in America we have a legal concept that "ownership is nine tenths the law" and because of that Universal still owns some stuff from when the contract was still valid. The big thing being territory east of the Mississippi river, and they own the Marvel themed stuff that currently in their Orlando park, which basically amounts to a lot of signs that say Hulk Coaster and Dr Doom Drop, and large cut out billboard type images of the Marvel characters that are stuck to the sides of the non descript buildings... but all they own "in perpetuity" are right to keep things their Hulk Coaster signs east of the Mississippi, they can keep that stuff forever... but I got feeling they are going to be getting rid of it real soon

No UNI will be keeping their Marvel attractions as it's a way for Disney to collect large checks without investing any cash at all, Disney's not going to build attractions other than cheap overlays.

Matt_Black

Batman: The Animated Series! Still
To this day the best depiction of Batman ever! What a classic show :)

I'd say tied for best, old chum.

I think that was actually one of the reasons of the crash.
He was treated like a god. Yet his art was stunningly a failure in anatomy and style.
Not to mention his constant tracings he called "references to other comics" and outright character thief.
Also , the creation of his own "character" for x-men that was the most dumbest thing ever.. design wise and power wise.. (Shatterstar)

I don't mind his art. It's not great, but hardly the worst I've ever seen in a comic. I've likened his art to a meal at Denny's- NOBODY is going to mistake it for 5 Star Cuisine, but sometimes that's what you're in the mood for and it's familiar enough so you'll know what to expect.

His "writing", if it can be called that, is an affront to God* and Man and should never be allowed to happen again by any sane person.

*And I mean that quite literally. He once wrote a story where Jesus pulled himself off of the cross so he could wrestle the Greek Pantheon.

lazyboy97o

Contracts don't become invalid with ownership changes. You're still wrong.

Disneyhead'71

Let me get this straight, you believe Universal will be giving up the Marvel rights real soon?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom