Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Actually Disney now "owns" the film rights to Spiderman but they are "leasing" them to Sony, who producing the stand alone Spiderman films, and as part of that deal/exchange Sony got exclusives to Star Wars video game content on their Play Station video game system. That's why you currently can only get Star Wars Battle front on Playstation and the Infinity Star Wars had Boba Fete as an exclusive for the first six months or something to that effect

But in August of this year, 2016, Disney is allowing their Distribution Rights to DreamWorks Films expire, the upcoming Disney/Spielberg/Dreamworks film "BFG" (aka Big Friendly Giant) is the final Dreamworks Film Disney will be handling as part of that contract, and though it hasn't been officially announced Universal will probably inherit the Dreamworks film rights in an exchange for the Marvel Theme Park rights in Orlando... will have to wait and see a few more months

Unless you are privy to the contract's details, then that's a guess. I would venture to say that's a poor guess as sony is so dysfunctional and their sister companies do not have such synergies (for example, hotel transylvania game never released on playstation 3, 4 or vita whereas it released on nintendo systems). The latter part is also a guess on your part, which I have my doubts as well.

What I would like to know of this spiderman contract is if Disney now doesn't have to pay Sony a gross of the Box Office for solo spidey movies. For those who don't know, as part of the merchandise/movie license buyouts, Disney was paying a fee to sony for every solo spiderman movie. Ironic that they would pay a company to use their IP, but that's the penalty they had to pay to get the merch rights. As part of this new deal, maybe they worked out that Feige and his team will work on this upcoming solo movie free of cost and they won't have to pay a fee anymore going forward. That would be a big step towards getting the full rights back.

Regarding Universal theme parks and Disney, there is a rumor:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#Disney

Basically Disney would start talk with Uni after their new FY and from what I understand, Disney would ask for the avengers and universal to drop the "Marvel" clause and stop using it in exchange for Disney actually signing off on any new XMen, FF, or Spiderman rides.

However, I would take it with a huge grain of salt, especially as their last point on WB is just flawed. WB cannot take its DC properties away from Six Flags whenever they want. It does have an expiration date, but I don't think it's any time soon considering Six Flags is investing in those properties at their parks at the moment.

Dunno if I would throw everyone under the bus here because I would describe that Guardians pitch for Tower as "legit" but I don't think it will ever happen (the ride in Anaheim certainly has an Marvel IP in its future tho make no mistake).

But yes this is exactly what I was referring to when I dropped that link. What could Disney offer to Comcast that would be compelling enough to let Comcast "clear up" some confusion on the Marvel contract? A truckload of money? Cause I see a lot of little slices of Star Wars on demand revenue in Comcast's future. Like a lot a lot.

Btw Disney just licensed away all the leverage it will ever have in distributing its content library online for themselves too. But thereby hangs another rant....

Disney is not a distributor. This is no different than the deals they have in place with amazon, apple google, walmart, sony, etc. They do own Hulu, but not a VOD service, and I don't think they ever will. They keep 70% or more, depending on the contract, of all movies they allow others to sell. Their DisneyAnywhere initiative is pretty great and is what they are striving for. Even if Disney bought Time Warner and doubled their movie library overnight, they still wouldn't have their own digital store where they would sell their movies.

Mike S

From what I understand, just Spider-Man is part of the deal. Reports have surfaced that Sony is revisiting the idea for a Venom film given the success of Deadpool, and Disney/ Marvel has absolutely no say in that.
How is Venom when he's solo in the comics? I just know him as a villain with similar powers to Spider-Man.

imperius

Unless you are privy to the contract's details, then that's a guess. I would venture to say that's a poor guess as sony is so dysfunctional and their sister companies do not have such synergies (for example, hotel transylvania game never released on playstation 3, 4 or vita whereas it released on nintendo systems). The latter part is also a guess on your part, which I have my doubts as well.

What I would like to know of this spiderman contract is if Disney now doesn't have to pay Sony a gross of the Box Office for solo spidey movies. For those who don't know, as part of the merchandise/movie license buyouts, Disney was paying a fee to sony for every solo spiderman movie. Ironic that they would pay a company to use their IP, but that's the penalty they had to pay to get the merch rights. As part of this new deal, maybe they worked out that Feige and his team will work on this upcoming solo movie free of cost and they won't have to pay a fee anymore going forward. That would be a big step towards getting the full rights back.

Regarding Universal theme parks and Disney, there is a rumor:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#Disney

Basically Disney would start talk with Uni after their new FY and from what I understand, Disney would ask for the avengers and universal to drop the "Marvel" clause and stop using it in exchange for Disney actually signing off on any new XMen, FF, or Spiderman rides.

However, I would take it with a huge grain of salt, especially as their last point on WB is just flawed. WB cannot take its DC properties away from Six Flags whenever they want. It does have an expiration date, but I don't think it's any time soon considering Six Flags is investing in those properties at their parks at the moment.

Disney is not a distributor. This is no different than the deals they have in place with amazon, apple google, walmart, sony, etc. They do own Hulu, but not a VOD service, and I don't think they ever will. They keep 70% or more, depending on the contract, of all movies they allow others to sell. Their DisneyAnywhere initiative is pretty great and is what they are striving for. Even if Disney bought Time Warner and doubled their movie library overnight, they still wouldn't have their own digital store where they would sell their movies.

Yeah the original poster that said Disney now owns Spiderman rights is 100% wrong. He is still owned by Sony and is loaned out to Marvel for their MCU movies.

Also, take anything from screamscape as pretty much never going to happen.

Matt_Black

How is Venom when he's solo in the comics? I just know him as a villain with similar powers to Spider-Man.

Well, it depends, in part on which Venom, as there have been several now. Eddie Brock, the one the movie will most likely focus on is... The keep the hating Spider-Man, but try to play up that he doesn't attack innocents (or at least those he defines as innocent) and that his journalist disgrace really came about from him trying to do the right thing and being overzealous about it. If memory serves, anyway.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Based on the contract Disney/Marvel has little power to prevent the new rides. As long as they are thematically correct there is nothing they could do to stop them. Now maybe Universal wants to the MCU versions of the characters, in that case Disney might have something to offer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This kinda reminds me of when companies start firing their most successful, most effective and longest working members. because they are "too expensive".

When that starts happening if they are a public company it's time to get out fast we've all seen the results and they are always the same..

Rodan75

Based on the contract Disney/Marvel has little power to prevent the new rides. As long as they are thematically correct there is nothing they could do to stop them. Now maybe Universal wants to the MCU versions of the characters, in that case Disney might have something to offer.

Isn't it not just MCU versions, but any modern interpretations of characters that would have to be approved? Like swapping out Venom for Agent Venom or using FalCap? I got the impression when I read through the contract that characters are essentially locked into their 90's era depiction unless they get approval. For most characters that honestly doesn't matter, but if they wanted to show a more diverse group of heroes (new Thor, FalCap, Spider-Gwen, Ms Marvel, Cho Hulk, etc) they would need Marvel's approval.

Marvel has made a concerted effort to diversify their heroes and that could eventually hinder depictions at Uni. I'm sure the MCU versions would be the most sought after, but the others are becoming pretty important as well.

ToTBellHop

To the uninitiated who largely view the films as having hot bodies in tight clothing with big explosions (not a bad thing), what is MCU?

lazyboy97o

Isn't it not just MCU versions, but any modern interpretations of characters that would have to be approved? Like swapping out Venom for Agent Venom or using FalCap? I got the impression when I read through the contract that characters are essentially locked into their 90's era depiction unless they get approval. For most characters that honestly doesn't matter, but if they wanted to show a more diverse group of heroes (new Thor, FalCap, Spider-Gwen, Ms Marvel, Cho Hulk, etc) they would need Marvel's approval.

Marvel has made a concerted effort to diversify their heroes and that could eventually hinder depictions at Uni. I'm sure the MCU versions would be the most sought after, but the others are becoming pretty important as well.
There is nothing in the contract that locks the characters into a specific interpretation. It simply says they must conform to the style guides.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Welp, thanks for making those past two hours at my office (with no patients, doctors, or coworkers around to witness my shenanigans) ...interesting, at least. I skimmed through the past 50 pages and I think I got a grip on the topic.

Mostly.

As much as I love GotG, I'm just not interested in seeing that IP shoehorned into an existing attraction, simply because Disney is being cheap ( #ThanksShanghai ?) when it really should have a new, state of the art attraction to further expand the park, time spent at the park, and overall feel of the park. Have they learned nothing from their rivals up the street?

Why would you take a park that's already ripped in half, and further demolish something that fits, is already open and operating- not to mention, is a beloved attraction- for a park that's already technically a "half day" park, why wouldn't you add MORE attractions to it?

It doesn't make sense. Much like Disney management, starting from the top down.

Matt_Black

To the uninitiated who largely view the films as having hot bodies in tight clothing with big explosions (not a bad thing), what is MCU?

"Marvel Cinematic Universe". It's the term for the connected film series produced by Marvel Studios.

To clarify, it also refers to the television shows produced by Marvel Studios, which exist in the same continuity/ setting as the films. These include ABC's Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, and the forthcoming Marvel's Most Wanted; Netflix's Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Ironfist, and the now in-development Cloak & Dagger series on Freeform.

seascape

This is why sometime in the near future its in both Universal's and Disney's interest to make a reasonable deal. If you look at what Universal is doing, thay are building the same attractions at all their parks. This lowers the cost per ride. Therefore it would be in their interest to regain the worldwide rights to spiderman and hulk. Otherwise they are stuck with old versions of the characters and the cost being on a single ride. Again both companies know something has to be worked out and if it is done soon it can be a win win. If nothing is worked out it will be Universal who eventually gives back the rights because they don't need them and the cost of upgrading the rides just for Orlando is too high given that the rest of the world will know all the Marvel characters are at Disney and not think of Universal. But everyone will think of Harry potter and the Simpson's when they think of Universal.

As for Disney World there is no real need for Marvel in the parks. They have the greatest IP already for kids with Disney and Pixar and for teanagers and adults with Star Wars. Starr Wars is by far more valuable than HP.

Cesar R M

Seems legit. I would so rather have the rights to Dreamworks films than the rights to use Marvel in my parks while someone else does all the work of making the movies that basically advertise my attractions to the general public going to Orlando. Yup.
Well, considering that Universal kid attractions either poke very old (not so well known internationally) franchises and not something that is known international (Nintendo, Dreamworks animation portfolio). Maybe Universal feels that their adult and teenage groups are well established, and they need to grow the kid sectors.
I honestly seen kids at Disney everywhere, but I seen way more teenagers and adults in UNI and IOA.

Cesar R M

You know this next X-men movie is called "Apocalypse" right? and the tag line is "Only the Strong Will Survive" ...so there's going to be some X-men getting killed off in this movie too. In part because the a lot of actor's contracts end with this film, but there are also 2 casts of people playing each X-man and they are going to have to consolidate it down to 1 cast. The unknown is who will survive, will it be this James McAvoy/Michael Fassbender cast? or the original Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen cast who are in the next Wolverine solo film? or will they completely start over with all new people?

But the X-men aren't competing with the Avengers or the MCU, they're all going to be competing with Batman v Superman + Wonder Woman and the Suicide Squad. With all that DC stuff looming in the distance Marvel need to get all their people on the same page cinematically, so Disney can get them all together in their parks, because that's how it works in the 21st century... Movie Franchise feed into, Theme Park Land, which feeds into Merchandising
Hopefully the deaths will be necessary and dramatic. Not the turdified deaths of Xmen 3 (the first trilogy finale) that were way cheesy and zero dramatic.

The first Venoms were pretty much a savage spiderman, aka spiderman without morals (he kills, but not as bad as the other spiderman variants)
Now, as others mentioned..
He is now AGENT VENOM. Part of the Avengers. Replacing Tony Stark as part of the Guardians of the Galaxy in a small arc.
The best part is how he got his venom thingie "fixed". It was awesome to see an infested venom-rocket raccoon in this arc.

Then he left to have his own adventures, leaving THE THING as part of the Guardians of the Galaxy along, Star lord being replaced by Shadowcat as StarLord in a small arc. Wwhere Peter Quill is now king of Spartax.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is why sometime in the near future its in both Universal's and Disney's interest to make a reasonable deal. If you look at what Universal is doing, thay are building the same attractions at all their parks. This lowers the cost per ride. Therefore it would be in their interest to regain the worldwide rights to spiderman and hulk. Otherwise they are stuck with old versions of the characters and the cost being on a single ride. Again both companies know something has to be worked out and if it is done soon it can be a win win. If nothing is worked out it will be Universal who eventually gives back the rights because they don't need them and the cost of upgrading the rides just for Orlando is too high given that the rest of the world will know all the Marvel characters are at Disney and not think of Universal. But everyone will think of Harry potter and the Simpson's when they think of Universal.

As for Disney World there is no real need for Marvel in the parks. They have the greatest IP already for kids with Disney and Pixar and for teanagers and adults with Star Wars. Starr Wars is by far more valuable than HP.

Universal just dumped a ton of money into the Hulk ride which is "just for Orlando", so this is clearly not an issue for them. I don't see Universal giving up the rights until Disney throws a ton of money (or something of equivalent value) at them, or the popularity of Marvel drop considerably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom