Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

brb1006

Great example. When you overlay something different onto an existing attraction you have to be careful. Flight to The Moon/Mission to Mars was never a great attraction, but it worked for a while. When the 90s came and Tomorrowland was redone Disney went for something very different using the existing infrastructure in Alien Encounter and, while some people had issues, it was quite successful creatively and pretty popular. Then came the idea of getting rid of mommies with special needs 8-year-olds complaints and adding Stitch (who was hugely popular at the time) into the MK quickly and cheaply. We all know how that turned out.

This is more Stitch than Alien. And that is what GotG could be. This is desired because it is cheap and easy (I'll add creatively lazy as well) and gets Marvel into the parks.

The entire ToT concept for BOTH parks was designed with Twilight Zone in mind. Removing it means shoehorning something into a place it doesn't belong. Why not take Pirates and do a different boat ride in the building, but reuse some sets and show pieces. You just don't. No. Sorry, Chappie. Go back to selling Thor hammers and Tink hoodies. Stuff you were capable of handling.
I remember when Stitch's Great Escape got announced and after seeing Lilo And Stitch a year prior. While I never went on it, seeing Stitch portrayed as his former mischievous/evil self made me scared of Stitch for a few years until I started watching Lilo And Stitch The Series. Heck Stitch added in the Tokyo version of the Tiki Room was more positive compared to Great Escape.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, it never made sense to me that converting ToT would be done for financial reasons. Doing nothing is cheaper than doing something and is the correct thing to do in Orlando (or both coasts). That's one of the lingering mysteries that hasn't been answered in this thread, especially when budget cuts are apparent everywhere else. As you pointed out, Disney LOVES to do nothing. How do you reconcile this? It's not just the monetary cost; it's the opportunity cost of having the park's icon closed for refurb while there isn't much else operating. I find it much more plausible, however unfortunate, that they'd simply replace the intro movie to remove the Twilight Zone reference and save on having to pay the license.

Maybe you're right that it's all about reinforcing the Marvel franchise, despite Guardians itself not being a large mover of merchandise, according to my n-of-2 sample size of having two disinterested boys. But that brings us to the real question here.

Is Jim right about Disney's interpretation of the Marvel licensing agreement, meaning that any installation in Orlando would be necessarily temporary? That would make the financials all the more impractical if true but your timeline suggests that Disney believes Jim's interpretation is false. This is really the most interesting question in this thread- does Disney lose the theme park rights to "minor" Marvel characters (such as Guardians) as soon as they're tied into the Disney's cinematic universe? The contract seems ambiguous to me in Disney's favor.

I don't think anyone would disagree about the the state of Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom, but that seems like a whole different discussion and the refurb was, as you said, killed during Crofton. I bet we'd all love to see this ToT budget go toward a Space Mountain refurb to establish parity with Disneyland's hardware.

In fairness, the first half of the podcast was very critical of the new after dark party at the Magic Kingdom in addition to all the other price increases (they laughed at the "crazy" dinner-for-lunch pricing at Ohana and Crystal Palace) as well as the related debacle of Shanghai. (He's expecting a tiered opening.) Plus, good intentions or not, it's hardly positive to bring attention to the ToT proposition blowing up in his face, even if done respectfully. Damage control? Perhaps. But as the folks posting earlier have noted, elsewhere Disney (Steven Donaldson) has taken the policy of deny, deny, deny.

Of course this is the same Disney which denied that there was a new hotel being built on the garden north area of the contemporary as the steel was going up and even as the concrete was being poured for the floors. So don't read much into the denial by Disney Corporate.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Of course, we all care about ourselves and our career. You can learn about the environment at a company by how a career is fostered. We could all envision a Disney where Chapek thought to himself, "You know, we really should get a GotG attraction before those new movies come out. We should be able to bang out a novel, high quality attraction in the next 6 months. A couple of our parks are a little short on actual fun things to do anyway." However, that company is getting harder and harder to imagine. Currently, I'm having an acid flashback, otherwise, I would've been unable to even think of something like that. Of course, back in the mists of time there apparently was a point where ideas like, "boat ride with dolls singing about how we're all fundamentally human and therefore should all get along" or "why don't we have a ride about the history of communication in the giant golf ball that Walt kept showing" were actually able to percolate to the top and get made. If you had a person walking around with ideas like that today, I'm assuming that they would either change ("Hey, how about Jack Sparrow's Journey into a Pirate's Imagination!"), be kept around for ridicule, or fired and the legend of their existence would be used as a warning for anyone who exhibited actual creativity ("Did you hear what happened to Phil when he thought that updating the Rhine River idea may not be bad for WS? He even took time to make drawing of what we'd see when our little boat went by various show scenes. What a fool. Besides the whole Daredevil stunt spectacular thing has a very Germanic feel to it.")

Eddie Sotto and Tony Baxter being the Canonical examples of this today...

Magenta Panther

It's just unbelievable that people in the Disney company can be so thick-headed, so oblivious, so puerile, that they are SURPRISED people are screaming about the idea of a stupid GOTG overlay on the Tower. Wow, they must have a low opinion of people in general, especially park guests. But then, these are the chumps that have let the Yeti sit broken in the Everest ride for YEARS and think it's no big deal. God!

So to the people from WDI/TDO/Burbank who might be reading this thread: for my part, I'm not mad about a possible overlay on the Tower because I'm a nostalgist. I'm someone who's suggested that maybe it's time for the Jungle Cruise and Country Bears to go (and I used to LOVE the Bears). And I'm not mad because I'm a huge fan of the Twilight Zone. I'm aware of the show, but that's it. I'm mad because the Tower of Terror is an amazing attraction, and time has done nothing to change that. That's how good it is. It's unlike any other ride anywhere. It's PERFECT. Without flaw. The greatest tribute to the Imagineers since the Haunted Mansion. How could any Disney-park fan NOT love it? How could any Disney fan not be outraged at it being sacrificed for a bunch of lower-tier Marvel characters, not only because of the obvious pandering, but because of the cheapness, the laziness, the GREED of such a plan? This is Maelstrom 2.0 and then some. If any of you still think this is a good idea, then maybe you should sell a few shares of stock and buy yourself some creative spark and artistic integrity. This kind of thing just reinforces the stereotype that Disney is an evil, moneygrubbing empire, the thing that shows like Family Guy and the Simpsons make fun of. And your current/future customers look at those shows, and see things like Frozenstrom and this Tower overlay rumor happening, AND READ ON THE INTERNET stuff about cost-cutting on rides like Mermaid and Mine Train (and can see the painful shortcuts for themselves when they ride them) and what can they do but agree with that image? This kind of stuff will bite you on the butt eventually. Bet on it!

aladdin2007

It's just unbelievable that people in the Disney company can be so thick-headed, so oblivious, so puerile, that they are SURPRISED people are screaming about the idea of a stupid GOTG overlay on the Tower. Wow, they must have a low opinion of people in general, especially park guests. But then, these are the chumps that have let the Yeti sit broken in the Everest ride for YEARS and think it's no big deal. God!

So to the people from WDI/TDO/Burbank who might be reading this thread: for my part, I'm not mad about a possible overlay on the Tower because I'm a nostalgist. I'm someone who's suggested that maybe it's time for the Jungle Cruise and Country Bears to go (and I used to LOVE the Bears). And I'm not mad because I'm a huge fan of the Twilight Zone. I'm aware of the show, but that's it. I'm mad because the Tower of Terror is an amazing attraction, and time has done nothing to change that. That's how good it is. It's unlike any other ride anywhere. It's PERFECT. Without flaw. The greatest tribute to the Imagineers since the Haunted Mansion. How could any Disney-park fan NOT love it? How could any Disney fan not be outraged at it being sacrificed for a bunch of lower-tier Marvel characters, not only because of the obvious pandering, but because of the cheapness, the laziness, the GREED of such a plan? This is Maelstrom 2.0 and then some. If any of you still think this is a good idea, then maybe you should sell a few shares of stock and buy yourself some creative spark and artistic integrity. This kind of thing just reinforces the stereotype that Disney is an evil, moneygrubbing empire, the thing that shows like Family Guy and the Simpsons make fun of. And your current/future customers look at those shows, and see things like Frozenstrom and this Tower overlay rumor happening, AND READ ON THE INTERNET stuff about cost-cutting on rides like Mermaid and Mine Train (and can see the painful shortcuts for themselves when they ride them) and what can they do but agree with that image? This kind of stuff will bite you on the butt eventually. Bet on it!

amen brother, spot on! ok can this win post of the day? please? :D

Mike S

Still relevant.
image.jpeg

michmousefan

From what I've been told Skull Island is referenced in the Jurassic Park novels and that's the reason it fits in IoA.
No, the new Kong: Skull Island film is supposedly set in the same universe as the most recent Godzilla movie... the next planned movie in that universe is the Godzilla vs Kong flick a few years ahead down the road. Unfortunate, IMO; we just had a lousy "vs" movie to endure, but whatever. At any rate, that's not to say that Godzilla will be coming to IOA anytime soon; that's a definite Dino conflict of interest.

FigmentJedi

No, the new Kong: Skull Island film is supposedly set in the same universe as the most recent Godzilla movie... the next planned movie in that universe is the Godzilla vs Kong flick a few years ahead down the road. Unfortunate, IMO; we just had a lousy "vs" movie to endure, but whatever. At any rate, that's not to say that Godzilla will be coming to IOA anytime soon; that's a definite Dino conflict of interest.
Except the Skull Island theme park ride is based on the 2005 Peter Jackson film and not the upcoming Skull Island movie.

And you're forgetting that Godzilla 2 is between Skull Island and the King Kong vs Godzilla remake. It's something they're actually building up to instead of trying to set up a whole cinematic universe in one film like BvS did.

Last edited:

BrerJon

this. it would be like if they decided they were going to replace a very intricate olaf AA with the yeti in expedition everest, then just change prayer flags to sparkly snowflakes. you'd have a cool new AA, but you'd have a pretty crummy and lazy overlay that rips the heart out of the original attraction.

...oh god, i've given them an idea...NEVERMIND

Expedition Arrendelle! Imagineering are on the phone, they want to sign you up fast! That's just the kind of creative thinking they love!

CrescentLake

Just got off the phone with someone from George's office. Was a very pleasant guy, thanked me for my passion for the area and attraction and of course told me that there were no plans for either Disneyland or Disney World. He agreed with me when I said Guardians deserved its own ride and his exact words were: "its a time and a place thing, Guardians deserves a ride, but not on Tower of Terror." He was great, actually! I was very impressed with his candor. He did ask about what I had heard about the rumor since I had sent my email, presumably to see if there outreach has been working. Supposedly they've received a ton of calls and emails about this.

So take it for what its worth, but I tried to do my part!

alphac2005

That was the only place any money was spent. And one kewl AA doesn't make a quality attraction. Overall, the attraction was very quick and very cheap.

I greatly enjoyed Alien Encounter, but I guess that was just too much for the typical stroller posse crowd at the Magic Kingdom. My kids lament to this day that Stitch is one of the worst attractions that they've seen.

BrerJon

And you know it sounds so awful you would never think something like that could happen....yet.....Tower of Terror is possibly living out its last days.

In all seriousness, I will be amazed if somebody at Imagineering hasn't drawn up blue sky plans for a Frozen overlay of Everest as a phase 2 once the Frozenification of Epcot is complete.

They could rip out that boring old museum in the queue and turn it into a toddler playpen like on Mine Train, Pan or Mansion. They could put in a screen with a grinning Marshmalow replacing the Yeti statue... so much potential!

Wikkler

In all seriousness, I will be amazed if somebody at Imagineering hasn't drawn up blue sky plans for a Frozen overlay of Everest as a phase 2 once the Frozenification of Epcot is complete.

They could rip out that boring old museum in the queue and turn it into a toddler playpen like on Mine Train, Pan or Mansion. They could put in a screen with a grinning Marshmalow replacing the Yeti statue... so much potential!
Phase two Frozenland, being built in a different park? I think I know where this is going:
deleteme.png

The Arendelle Express!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Just called TDA although I'm not sure it was officially TDA. I called 714 781 4000. The operator connected me to Guest Expeirence services. I spoke with Lauren who said the predictable ....she had not heard any plans at this time and to take anything I hear from a third party with a grain of salt.

Anyway I told her I wasn't looking for an official word but just wanted to voice my concern regarding this terrible idea. I asked if she had received other calls regarding the matter and she said only a few. She documented my name and our conversation.

Did I speak to the right department? When I told Lauren my concern and that I wanted to talk to TDA she works with them but she is not a member of that team.

asianway

Just called TDA although I'm not sure it was officially TDA. I called 714 781 4000. The operator connected me to Guest Expeirence services. I spoke with Lauren who said the predictable ....she had not heard any plans at this time and to take anything I hear from a third party with a grain of salt.

Anyway I told her I wasn't looking for an official word but just wanted to voice my concern regarding this terrible idea. I asked if she had received other calls regarding the matter and she said only a few. She documented my name and our conversation.

Did I speak to the right department? When I told Lauren my concern and that I wanted to talk to TDA she works with them but she is not a member of that team.
Guest Experience Services' job is to shut people up. She listened, added you to some trouble maker blacklist, and will do nothing else unless you escalate.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

:eek:

As Mia said, Shut Up. If the next time I ride EE and there are snowflakes and a snowman singing "In Summer", I'm going to blame you. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom