Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Slowjack

Three things will eventually happen. I've said this for years and no one took me seriously. The three things are (1) Marvel, (2) 5th gate, and (3) transit (monorail or other) expansion.

All three eventually will happen.
Okay, Nostradamus, I'm gonna need specifics. Does Disney Springs count as a 5th gate if they start charging for parking? Is (3) fulfilled if they buy more buses? No weasel room! :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Three things will eventually happen. I've said this for years and no one took me seriously. The three things are (1) Marvel, (2) 5th gate, and (3) transit (monorail or other) expansion.

All three eventually will happen.

#1 for sure, in some form. But as we've seen with the penchant to make over rather than add on, I don't think we will see either #2 or #3 anytime soon, if ever. Especially if China is hemorrhaging $$$$ as WDW1974 and others have said. I cannot see the BOD approving the cash for either project given Shanghai.... "Bob, we went $750m over budget on Shanghai and missed the targeted opening date by 3 months. And that agreement with China for another gate, what were we thinking? And you want us to build another park at WDW? Are you crazy? Maybe it's time for you to retire."

Rescue Ranger

It's not even the Twilight Zone elements that really matter, really. As great as they are. Aside from some nods through decor, theme song and the host as well as some video scenes, it's an original Disney attraction. Just like their merchandise and the 1st movie, nothing about it is Twilight Zone. As seen in other parks a well like Tokyo.

Guardians themeing WOULD be butchering this attraction to hell. There is nothing about GOTG that screams Hollywood Tower Hotel. Sorry no.

It would be like turning Haunted Mansion into the Avengers Mansion. This is dumbfounding.

Mike S

#1 for sure, in some form. But as we've seen with the penchant to make over rather than add on, I don't think we will see either #2 or #3 anytime soon, if ever. Especially if China is hemorrhaging $$$$ as WDW1974 and others have said. I cannot see the BOD approving the cash for either project given Shanghai.... "Bob, we went $750m over budget on Shanghai and missed the targeted opening date by 3 months. And that agreement with China for another gate, what were we thinking? And you want us to build another park at WDW? Are you crazy? Maybe it's time for you to retire."
Are you implying the idea for a fifth park would actually come from Bob Iger?
lol.gif

Mike S

It's not even the Twilight Zone elements that really matter, really. As great as they are. Aside from some nods through decor, theme song and the host as well as some video scenes, it's an original Disney attraction. Just like their merchandise and the 1st movie, nothing about it is Twilight Zone. As seen in other parks a well like Tokyo.

Guardians themeing WOULD be butchering this attraction to hell. There is nothing about GOTG that screams Hollywood Tower Hotel. Sorry no.

It would be like turning Haunted Mansion into the Avengers Mansion. This is dumbfounding.
No. It would obviously become Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. Gambit is a mutant from New Orleans right? It's perfect I tell you!!!!!! :D
132.gif

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Are you implying the idea for a fifth park would actually come from Bob Iger?
lol.gif

Sorry, forgot myself there. Told you I needed chocolate. Wait, I just remembered, I HAVE CHOCOLATE MILK IN THE FRIDGE! I'M SAVED!!!!!!! :p

Rescue Ranger

I just created a facebook page in order to inform people of the rumour and why it is actually serious
https://www.facebook.com/Save-Tower-of-Terror-1131346636899160
I also created an instagram account for the same purpose and the name is: save_towerofterror

I think it is important people know what could happen. Almost nobody will support this project, because the Tower of Terror is one of Disney's symbol. If people all starts to complain about this project, this is how we may change their mind. As @WDW1974 said yesterday, it is a 50/50 thing in Florida so we may only have a small chance at this, but we at least need to try and inform people and tell them to email George Kalogridis and Robert Chapek.
Twitter too? Let's hashtag and trend this!

Mitch3223

A terrible, terrible idea. I could almost deal with it if it was a once-off seasonal attraction when the movie comes out but even that is still a lazy way to get people through the gates.

Hey @WDW1974 is there any talk about them doing this to DisneySea's version? I really hope not. :(

No Name

Why on earth is WDI pushing for this? What do they have to gain?

I know some in WDI have expressed concern that too many long-term Imagineers that "get it" have left the company recently... I didn't realize it was so bad that Glendale is now being run by Neanderthals.

You are not nearly the only person to say something like this, so let me just say to everyone... this is not WDI's idea. They are not pushing for it at all. This is an idea that came from someone, somewhere, in management.

Unfortunately, WDI no longer makes the decisions on what major attractions will be built, especially for the domestic parks. Avatar land, Star Wars land, Toy Story land, Frozenstrom, and the idea for this (if true) all came from upper management. New Fantsyland I am not sure about, but since Iger and ever since 2010 for sure, Disney execs have made these decisions, not imagineering.

I say "unfortunately" because, when you are running a business that you know very little about, it is a good idea to consult those who have more experience and knowledge. The biggest problem is not that Bob Chapek and maybe Michael Colglazier know nothing about the parks. It seems Chappie doesn't realize how important and valued ToT is to almost all guests, but that's not the biggest problem. Sure, people shouldn't be in positions they are not qualified for. But the real problem is that he has not been asking for the opinions of those who are more knowledgable. And that leads to mistakes.

Anyway, back to topic. A fair criticism of imagineering would be to say that some of their recent work has flaws that older imagineering would've been able to avoid. Or that their storytelling ability has gone downhill. Not that I agree with these, but they are at least valid and could be backed up.

To blame imagineering for this idea is simply wrong.

Chris82

You are not nearly the only person to say something like this, so let me just say to everyone... this is not WDI's idea. They are not pushing for it at all. This is an idea that came from someone, somewhere, in management.

Unfortunately, WDI no longer makes the decisions on what major attractions will be built, especially for the domestic parks. Avatar land, Star Wars land, Toy Story land, Frozenstrom, and the idea for this (if true) all came from upper management. New Fantsyland I am not sure about, but since Iger and ever since 2010 for sure, Disney execs have made these decisions, not imagineering.

I say "unfortunately" because, when you are running a business that you know very little about, it is a good idea to consult those who have more experience and knowledge. The biggest problem is not that Bob Chapek and maybe Michael Colglazier know nothing about the parks. It seems Chappie doesn't realize how important and valued ToT is to almost all guests, but that's not the biggest problem. Sure, people shouldn't be in positions they are not qualified for. But the real problem is that he has not been asking for the opinions of those who are more knowledgable. And that leads to mistakes.

Anyway, back to topic. A fair criticism of imagineering would be to say that some of their recent work has flaws that older imagineering would've been able to avoid. Or that their storytelling ability has gone downhill. Not that I agree with these, but they are at least valid and could be backed up.

To blame imagineering for this idea is simply wrong.

I could believe that. Ever since Everest/Mission Space practically every decision regarding WDW has the stink of "corporate" about it. What's the safest? What's the least offensive/blandest? What sells the most t-shirts? How little budget can we get away with? What alleviates problems reported by guests on surveys? What synergizes with our merchandising?

Questions like "What would be fresh?" "What would be unexpected?" "What would bring people's fantasies to life?" "What would be awesome?" don't seem to be getting asked much, if at all.

When I was a kid I really wanted to be an Imagineer. If this is the culture, I'm glad I pursued other creative outlets lol

FigmentJedi

A terrible, terrible idea. I could almost deal with it if it was a once-off seasonal attraction when the movie comes out but even that is still a lazy way to get people through the gates.

Hey @WDW1974 is there any talk about them doing this to DisneySea's version? I really hope not. :(
Tokyo Disney's run by Oriental Land Company, not Chapek.

They soundly rejected pitches to replace half of Westernland with Carsland, their reaction to Guardians Tower would be this.

Phil12

Is there anything at WDW that you would have a problem with them changing? Just curious.
Nothing if it helps to improve and save the company. I recall when Kmart and Sears were the top dogs in the retail world but a little company called Walmart pulled the rug out from them.

I also recall when Eastern Air Lines and TWA were healthy air carries. I also remember when RCA was the top maker of radios and television sets.

Failure to change with the times killed all of those companies. Thank goodness that Disney is willing to change as needed to grow and improve their media empire and theme parks. Disney is still very healthy, but they won't continue to be if they don't change.

Disney has more than enough visitors to their parks. They need to push their own IP with their captive audience. It just makes sense. There is going to be more profit for Disney selling a Groot plush rather than selling a Rod Serling ashtray from the ToT gift shop.

But let's say the GotG re-theme fails and the Groot plush doesn't sell. They can always go back to the Twilight Zone theme and sell autographed Rod Serling Zippo lighters in the gift shop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom