Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
While Comcast has made good decisions, they still didn't come without complaining. People hated the destruction of Jaws and hell I heard complaining about the closing of disaster

Never rode Jaws in Orlando and aren't familiar with Disaster, but given what they did with Diagon Alley, it's a pretty fine replacement.

imperius

Never rode Jaws in Orlando and aren't familiar with Disaster, but given what they did with Diagon Alley, it's a pretty fine replacement.
It is and I don't miss Jaws one bit. I feel, I could be wrong, if they announced they were closing TOT and opening this giant themed area based on Guardians with a super advanced E ticket people would , but then it would be ok. This news is the complete opposite though. It is extremely lazy sounding and just a crappy cash job.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It is and I don't miss Jaws one bit. I feel, I could be wrong, if they announced they were closing TOT and opening this giant themed area based on Guardians with a super advanced E ticket people would *****, but then it would be ok. This news is the complete opposite though. It is extremely lazy sounding and just a crappy cash job.

You are right. I can see adding attractions using one of the recently acquired IPs. I cannot see why destroying - as many have pointed out - one of the best themed rides in all 4 parks to do so, other than laziness and $$$$. Which is never a good way to make a business decision.

Chris82

It is and I don't miss Jaws one bit. I feel, I could be wrong, if they announced they were closing TOT and opening this giant themed area based on Guardians with a super advanced E ticket people would *****, but then it would be ok. This news is the complete opposite though. It is extremely lazy sounding and just a crappy cash job.

I don't think people would be more forgiving of the destruction of Tower of Terror if an advanced E-ticket were replacing it - Tower of Terror is a widely beloved pinnacle attraction (in a way that Mr. Toad and Maelstrom never really were). The question would still burn - why not build this advanced E-ticket somewhere else? It's not like there's no room.

doctornick

Surely GotG calls for a purpose built, new ride? In an appropiate location and setting? It's not as if they don't have the room. Even more so in this park.

There again, so did Frozen.

This. And why not get started now instead of putzing around and building slowly?

I mean, the GotG movie came out in summer 2014. Since then, they've developed Infinity figures, a TV show and probably a host of other products. Why wait til now to develop an attraction and why rush it into the parks? Do it right instead.

imperius

I don't think people would be more forgiving of the destruction of Tower of Terror if an advanced E-ticket were replacing it - Tower of Terror is a widely beloved pinnacle attraction (in a way that Mr. Toad and Maelstrom never really were). The question would still burn - why not build this advanced E-ticket somewhere else? It's not like there's no room.
Of course they shouldn't replace anything in HS at this point with the limited choices already there.

Mike S

Surely GotG calls for a purpose built, new ride? In an appropiate location and setting? It's not as if they don't have the room. Even more so in this park.

There again, so did Frozen.
At this point I'm dumbfounded we're getting the Star Wars Land that we're getting. They have free reign with Marvel in Cali and what do they come up with? Gaurdians of the Tower of Terror and a Captain America coaster, THAT'S DELAYED BECAUSE OF ******* SHANGHAI!!!!!!

If this goes through I'm done giving my money to Disney. I'll do what I said I'd do in the Disneyland version of this thread,
Most likely yes, but like I said I won't be paying for it. I know both a former and a current CM that I can get tickets from. I'll take in my own snacks with cargo shorts if I have to. I'll stay offsite (maybe at Uni) and even get a cab or Uber to take me to Disney just for the principal of not giving them a single cent, not even for parking.

I wish that would happen at Disney. Love that scene btw. It shows just how terrible business people who just look at numbers all day are.
It's not the IP that makes the difference, it's the theme itself. Nobody is saying that Twilight Zone is inherently superior to Guardians of the Galaxy, and if we were talking about a new attraction in Tomorrowland, I'm sure the majority of people would be advocating for the latter. You talk about "attention to detail" but the "detail" we're paying attention to is a creepy abandoned 1930s hotel. For that purpose, Twilight Zone fits, and Guardians of the Galaxy does not.

FWIW, the ride probably doesn't need to be Twilight Zone in the first place. It could just be the "Tower of Terror" with no IP and it would work just as well.
Like how it works in Tokyo?

Is there anything at WDW that you would have a problem with them changing? Just curious.
He'd find a way to defend replacing the castle with a huge pile of turd from the Main Street horses I assure you.
That seems a little gratuitously belittling, don't you think? Look, you and I are old enough to know that the chances of anyone having a positive effect on anything of significance outside of their own immediate family is close to zero. But if you don't try then the chance really is zero. I don't think anyone here seriously believes an e-mail or web site campaign will make a difference, but they would rather try than do nothing.
Wouldn't be the first time from him.
I hate the Guardian of the Galaxy Tower of Terror concept and idea BUT I'm loving the comments on this DCP facebook group I'm a member of where they all claim that this would never happen, it's just a rumor, this is so ridiculous, Disney would never do something like this and literally ignore me when I mention that this is a rumor with actual legs to it. It's in the planning stages. I almost hope it goes through so I can sit back and watch their reactions and be like "told ya so ;)"
If anything the backlash from this could be so huge it'll be the first "save this attraction" campaign to actually work.

Last edited:

doctornick

It's not the IP that makes the difference, it's the theme itself. Nobody is saying that Twilight Zone is inherently superior to Guardians of the Galaxy, and if we were talking about a new attraction in Tomorrowland, I'm sure the majority of people would be advocating for the latter. You talk about "attention to detail" but the "detail" we're paying attention to is a creepy abandoned 1930s hotel. For that purpose, Twilight Zone fits, and Guardians of the Galaxy does not.

FWIW, the ride probably doesn't need to be Twilight Zone in the first place. It could just be the "Tower of Terror" with no IP and it would work just as well.

To put it into prospective.... IF Disney had the rights to use Dr. Strange in WDW, I think you could keep most of the details of ToT but institute Dr. Strange as your host and have it "work" because he's a Earth based mystic, as opposed to the GotG being space traveling alienns.

You could have Dr. Strange travelling in time to a haunted hotel from the early 20th century to defeat a foe or maybe the hotel is trapped in some sort of stasis since a magic event took control or something. You could come up with a backstory that is not particularly convoluted and keep the bulk of the experience intact. GotG would require a huge change to the ambiance or else a particularly silly/stupid and crazy backstory.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm totally against changing the story/theme of ToT. I'm just saying that even if you were dead set for shoehorning a Marvel property into the attraction, then there are better ones to use than GotG. And Anaheim can use anyone they want, so I have no clue why they'd use GotG there.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This. And why not get started now instead of putzing around and building slowly?

I mean, the GotG movie came out in summer 2014. Since then, they've developed Infinity figures, a TV show and probably a host of other products. Why wait til now to develop an attraction and why rush it into the parks? Do it right instead.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe because Uncle Bob was sitting around his conference table with all his Ps & VPs, talking about how Uni Orlando is starting to make a real presence in the area, saying "I paid all that damn $$$ for that Marvel IP and we need to start using it in the parks! And more than just a skin on some monorail car". Turns to his lawyer and says, "Alan, what can we do that won't get me sued by Brian Roberts?" To which the recently appointed President of P&R raises his hand and says, "Boss, let's put a GoG overlay in Tot! It's a popular ride, the 17-34 demographic LOVES, LOVES anything and everything Marvel and isn't the new moving hitting screens next year? It's a win-win for the Company! Plus, think of the merchandise we can sell!"

imperius

No. Ronan and Thanos would be off limits cause Ronan in the comics is associated with, I think, Fantastic 4 if I'm remembering talk on this forum correctly? And Thanos is tied to the Avengers.
I figured Thanos was 100% a no, but Ronan is a Kree so thought he might have been OK. The collector I would assume is no go also which would be the only really way this could work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom