Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

imperius

I honestly have no issues with parks getting rid of dated attractions like universal did with Jaws, BTTF(which is probably in my top 5 favorite movies), original Kong, twister, disaster because they built new things except BTTF to Simpsons which works in that setting.

This though, this is just lazy and cheap to bring in Marvel fans. I've said it a ton and so have others, but this overlay doesn't fit the material they are putting into it. Guardians takes place in space and not a hotel. There are better places to put a Guardians ride in HS or even just make it a Starlord show and take out Indy for now.

Slowjack

I get a kick out of you very concerned folks thinking that a handful of people known for their hatred of Disney management is going to hit them with a tiny few e-mails, that they will probably never see. And then all of a sudden they are going to slap themselves upside of the head and say... what were we thinking? Gotta admire that kind of self-confidence.
That seems a little gratuitously belittling, don't you think? Look, you and I are old enough to know that the chances of anyone having a positive effect on anything of significance outside of their own immediate family is close to zero. But if you don't try then the chance really is zero. I don't think anyone here seriously believes an e-mail or web site campaign will make a difference, but they would rather try than do nothing.

stretchsje

This is my last post defending the NEWS (not a rumor whether it happens or not as it is the PLAN now!) ...because I'd rather spend my limited time here talking Shanghai, or Disney's film strategy or hey ... what if I told you that Disney has allowed TEA to undercount DLR attendance since the DCA relaunch and to undercount significantly ... as in millions? Ah, a tale for later. Besides, we all know that WDW is the most popular and bestest Disney resort in the world and that TDL and DL could never possibly best it.
Wouldn't that be a illegal- misreporting financials- for a publicly traded company?

Could this accounting error exist to pad the true expense of Shanghai? (Under-report attendance so the revenue doesn't seem to be missing....)

One wonders what business school would teach a future CEO to add stimulus to his or her biggest losses while gutting their biggest winners. Such behavior seems to be common in corporate America, but I don't understand that mentality at all.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I go away for a few hours to try to register for a race and during that time this thread explodes all over the place...

WDW1974 and others more knowledgeable than me have made compelling arguments for what is wrong with the current executives at TWDC. I'm not a lifestyler, not even sure what that reference means, but when the largest entertainment company on the planet makes decisions that leads careful observers to ponder what they've been smoking, the consumers of said company have every right - and duty as consumers - to question the sanity of such decisions and protest such idiocy. After all, are any of you Coke drinkers drinking New Coke?

hopemax

Wouldn't that be a illegal- misreporting financials- for a publicly traded company?

Could this accounting error exist to pad the true expense of Shanghai? (Under-report attendance so the revenue doesn't seem to be missing....)

One wonders what business school would teach a future CEO to add stimulus to his or her biggest losses while gutting their biggest winners. Such behavior seems to be common in corporate America, but I don't understand that mentality at all.

Disney doesn't officially report attendance numbers. They let another entity "guess" and Disney takes no position on the veracity of those numbers.

There have been insinuations that this other entity gets their numbers for other parks, shows them to Disney and unofficially Disney tells them what their numbers should be. So MK always ends up on top.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You know when you can finally say you've arrived? When Disney food bloggers (oh yes, they exist) in the Twitverse are so busy taking shots at you (because they can't handle the truth) that they just have no time to write about the fact that Disney is making major cuts in quality and size of items/portions at WDW AND raising prices.

My guess is if you do that than Dr. Blondie, my favorite Cupcake, won't be comping $600 meals at Citricos or the California Grill.

When even my 'wittle buddy Andy Castro has to admit that yeah, this tale has legs, and he can't stand me for reasons I don't quite get as I have given him nothing but hot online luvin (if I find out the EPCOT Explorer dissed me, he'll be pulling Orange Birds out of his orifices!), it should give pause.

This is my last post defending the NEWS (not a rumor whether it happens or not as it is the PLAN now!) ...because I'd rather spend my limited time here talking Shanghai, or Disney's film strategy or hey ... what if I told you that Disney has allowed TEA to undercount DLR attendance since the DCA relaunch and to undercount significantly ... as in millions? Ah, a tale for later. Besides, we all know that WDW is the most popular and bestest Disney resort in the world and that TDL and DL could never possibly best it. Of course, by Year Two of Shanghai Disneyland, the Chinese Communist Party will be dictating just how popular and attended both DL and WDW are ... again, way to go Bob. You are in control.

:eek:

LAKid53

Premium Member

Not sure if over/under reporting attendance figures would equate with fudging revenue/expense, stock value or any other balance sheet/income statement line item.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This all just runs so counter to what I learned in B school. One of my finance professors drew a pie chart on the board. The chart contained three segments - owners (stockholders), consumers and government. His point for this exercise was, screw the owners, you're out of a job; screw the consumers, your company is gone. So, what did we learn, screw the government, i.e., pay the least amount of taxes you can legally get away with. My point is that what Disney is doing violates one of his tenants- never screw the customer....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Especially when it's not Disney doing the reporting.

And attendance doesn't equate with revenue from ticket sales... and that's what would be reported on an income statement. Which under Sarbanes-Oxley both the CEO and CFO have to attest to, in writing.

mm52200

I hate the Guardian of the Galaxy Tower of Terror concept and idea BUT I'm loving the comments on this DCP facebook group I'm a member of where they all claim that this would never happen, it's just a rumor, this is so ridiculous, Disney would never do something like this and literally ignore me when I mention that this is a rumor with actual legs to it. It's in the planning stages. I almost hope it goes through so I can sit back and watch their reactions and be like "told ya so ;)"

lazyboy97o

If Hulk is reborn without Mark Ruffalo or his likeness, Guardian Tower in Orlando would be a huge gamble for Disney to make without an agreement with Universal. By the time such a make over would take place, GoG's MCU IP will be 100% represented side-by-side with the rest of the Marvel MCU Avengers roster in the upcoming Infinity War films.
The reported timeline would have the attraction opening about one year before Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 hits theaters.

No, I do understand why it is a great attraction. Disney took a cookie cutter drop tower and plussed the heck out it. DHS ToT is an amazing experience from placement to theming to execution.

My question is why is a TZ (not owned by Disney) theme BETTER than a GotG theme assuming the attention to detail is the same?
A themed experience is not just about an individual attraction.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Isn't it funny... one of the most hated companies on the planet, Comcast, manages to make decisions when it comes to attractions in its theme parks that make sense... and people agree with (and on time and budget). And a company that many of us have very warm fuzzy feelings for does such boneheaded, stupid things like this....

It all gets down to, as was pounded into our heads in Good to Great, putting the right people in the right seats on the bus....

imperius

Isn't it funny... one of the most hated companies on the planet, Comcast, manages to make decisions when it comes to attractions in its theme parks that make sense... and people agree with (and on time and budget). And a company that many of us have very warm fuzzy feelings for does such boneheaded, stupid things like this....

It all gets down to, as was pounded into our heads in Good to Great, putting the right people in the right seats on the bus....
While Comcast has made good decisions, they still didn't come without complaining. People hated the destruction of Jaws and hell I heard complaining about the closing of disaster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom