Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

ToTBellHop

It's not even close. Maelstrom was a mediocre ride in a park not built on rides in the first place. From a strictly creative achievement perspective, Tower of Terror is arguably THE single greatest ride at Walt Disney World. Maelstrom wasn't even top 50.
Indeed. It would be a travesty to besmudge its theming.

At least this planned update is receiving WIDESPREAD disdain. Perhaps Jenn Fickley-Baker can email Chapek about the online response and let him know that the ride he wants to ruin is a crown jewel of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts "flagship property". He should ride it for himself first.

BubbaQuest

Clearly you don't understand why it's a great attraction.

No, I do understand why it is a great attraction. Disney took a cookie cutter drop tower and plussed the heck out it. DHS ToT is an amazing experience from placement to theming to execution.

My question is why is a TZ (not owned by Disney) theme BETTER than a GotG theme assuming the attention to detail is the same?

Bairstow

So as it stands, DHS is inarguably the worst park at WDW, with widespread closures and no replacement attractions due for at least 5 years.

If I'm Disney, how do I trick guests into continuing to visit my half-ruined park?
Maybe intentionally leak a bogus rumor about how the park's most popular attraction is soon going to close forever in the hopes that guests will make trips to see it "one last time" ?

CaptainAmerica

My question is why is a TZ (not owned by Disney) theme BETTER than a GotG theme assuming the attention to detail is the same?
It's not the IP that makes the difference, it's the theme itself. Nobody is saying that Twilight Zone is inherently superior to Guardians of the Galaxy, and if we were talking about a new attraction in Tomorrowland, I'm sure the majority of people would be advocating for the latter. You talk about "attention to detail" but the "detail" we're paying attention to is a creepy abandoned 1930s hotel. For that purpose, Twilight Zone fits, and Guardians of the Galaxy does not.

FWIW, the ride probably doesn't need to be Twilight Zone in the first place. It could just be the "Tower of Terror" with no IP and it would work just as well.

So as it stands, DHS is inarguably the worst park at WDW, with widespread closures and no replacement attractions due for at least 5 years.

If I'm Disney, how do I trick guests into continuing to visit my half-ruined park?
Maybe intentionally leak a bogus rumor about how the park's most popular attraction is soon going to close forever in the hopes that guests will make trips to see it "one last time" ?
Interesting theory. But I think the people who read these boards are "hardcore" enough that they're going anyways.

Launchpad McQuack

It's not the IP that makes the difference, it's the theme itself. Nobody is saying that Twilight Zone is inherently superior to Guardians of the Galaxy, and if we were talking about a new attraction in Tomorrowland, I'm sure the majority of people would be advocating for the latter. You talk about "attention to detail" but the "detail" we're paying attention to is a creepy abandoned 1930s hotel. For that purpose, Twilight Zone fits, and Guardians of the Galaxy does not.

FWIW, the ride probably doesn't need to be Twilight Zone in the first place. It could just be the "Tower of Terror" with no IP and it would work just as well.

I agree with most of what you say, but I actually disagree with it working just as well without the Twilight Zone theme. The "preshow" room where you watch the Twilight Zone intro adds as much to the overall experience as anything else, IMO. It wouldn't be the same without Rod Serling (or a Rod Serling impersonator).

evilzorac

You know when you can finally say you've arrived? When Disney food bloggers (oh yes, they exist) in the Twitverse are so busy taking shots at you (because they can't handle the truth) that they just have no time to write about the fact that Disney is making major cuts in quality and size of items/portions at WDW AND raising prices.

My guess is if you do that than Dr. Blondie, my favorite Cupcake, won't be comping $600 meals at Citricos or the California Grill.

When even my 'wittle buddy Andy Castro has to admit that yeah, this tale has legs, and he can't stand me for reasons I don't quite get as I have given him nothing but hot online luvin (if I find out the EPCOT Explorer dissed me, he'll be pulling Orange Birds out of his orifices!), it should give pause.

This is my last post defending the NEWS (not a rumor whether it happens or not as it is the PLAN now!) ...because I'd rather spend my limited time here talking Shanghai, or Disney's film strategy or hey ... what if I told you that Disney has allowed TEA to undercount DLR attendance since the DCA relaunch and to undercount significantly ... as in millions? Ah, a tale for later. Besides, we all know that WDW is the most popular and bestest Disney resort in the world and that TDL and DL could never possibly best it. Of course, by Year Two of Shanghai Disneyland, the Chinese Communist Party will be dictating just how popular and attended both DL and WDW are ... again, way to go Bob. You are in control.
Have a 3 day trip coming up (1st in 2 yrs) to see how things have changed. I have now cancelled all restaurant reservations at WDW resort during our stay and will be trying some of the outside areas finest. Thanks for the info please keep it up!

DisDan

Maybe this is Disney sneaky, dirty, underhanded way of increasing DHS park attendance in the short term. I mean think about all the people that will flood the parks to get their LAST ride on the TZ-TOT before they chop it up..... Disney doesn't care if it ****es people off, they know people will come back when Star Wars opens.

I posted the exact same thought on this..... :)

CaptainAmerica

I agree with most of what you say, but I actually disagree with it working just as well without the Twilight Zone theme. The "preshow" room where you watch the Twilight Zone intro adds as much to the overall experience as anything else, IMO. It wouldn't be the same without Rod Serling (or a Rod Serling impersonator).
I think that's because you know it as Rod Serling today so it's become integral to the experience. You would certainly notice if it was disassociated with The Twilight Zone, but it still would have been just as excellent if it had never had Twilight Zone in the first place.

Bairstow

I think that's because you know it as Rod Serling today so it's become integral to the experience. You would certainly notice if it was disassociated with The Twilight Zone, but it still would have been just as excellent if it had never had Twilight Zone in the first place.

Agreed.
A non-Twilight Zone version of the Tower of Terror isn't just possible- it's been done and done well. Just look at the Tokyo version.

I actually wouldn't mind a version of the Florida ride that dispensed with the show license. It never made sense to me why there was a Television set in the preshow library when the rest of the Sunset Boulevard area, including even the rest of the Tower queue itself, takes place in the early 1940s.

FigmentForver96

Agreed.
A non-Twilight Zone version of the Tower of Terror isn't just possible- it's been done and done well. Just look at the Tokyo version.

I actually wouldn't mind a version of the Florida ride that dispensed with the show license. It never made sense to me why there was a Television set in the preshow library when the rest of the Sunset Boulevard area, including even the rest of the Tower queue itself, takes place in the early 1940s.
We could also leave the ride "as is". I vote that option.

Kate F

My context was an historical perspective concerning the creation and construction of Disney-MGM Studios.

However, as to the present, I see no reason why ToT can't be re-themed to GotG.

Time-For-Change-652860_500x335.jpg
Is there anything at WDW that you would have a problem with them changing? Just curious.

asianway

It's not even close. Maelstrom was a mediocre ride in a park not built on rides in the first place. From a strictly creative achievement perspective, Tower of Terror is arguably THE single greatest ride at Walt Disney World. Maelstrom wasn't even top 50.
Summons my best waiter from Road Trip:

Didnt we max out at 47?

Goofyernmost

I get a kick out of you very concerned folks thinking that a handful of people known for their hatred of Disney management is going to hit them with a tiny few e-mails, that they will probably never see. And then all of a sudden they are going to slap themselves upside of the head and say... what were we thinking? Gotta admire that kind of self-confidence.

Personally, I actually like ToT as is, I'm not a fanatic fan, but, I have always felt that it was the finest themed attraction in all of WDW. I have zero interest in GOTG and would never even have a desire to go on that ride again. That's just me. I outgrew all of the sci-fy stuff by the time I was 12 years old, I prefer my hero's to be real live people with human abilities (not super) and to be something that I can identify with. So, if they change ToT, which I still think is someone attempting to make "Spirit" look like a fool, then I guess that it will be. None of us are willing to not spend our money there and as long as we spend, it will be successful and no matter what they do, according to the powers that matter, it will be the right thing.

It's not unusual for parks to change things before they are used up just to keep the parks fresh. Uni, for example, plowed under "Jaws" for something new. Changed a great "Back to the Future" to a cartoon nothing. And how about Kong? It's not unheard of, but, timing wise it wouldn't make any sense. They have all they can say grace over with the new stuff coming in. At the very best I doubt that they would do anything to give them one less attraction right now. Later, after the other stuff is done, sure, and it might not be all that bad an idea to make the change. Of course, by then I will probably be dead anyway. We know how long it takes them to even start something, much less finish it. You can bet that hasn't changed.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I get a kick out of you very concerned folks thinking that a handful of people known for their hatred of Disney management is going to hit them with a tiny few e-mails, that they will probably never see. And then all of a sudden they are going to slap themselves upside of the head and say... what were we thinking? Gotta admire that kind of self-confidence.

Personally, I actually like ToT as is, I'm not a fanatic fan, but, I have always felt that it was the finest themed attraction in all of WDW. I have zero interest in GOTU and would never even have a desire to go on that ride again. That's just me. I outgrew all of the sci-fy stuff by the time I was 12 years old, I prefer my hero's to be real live people with human abilities (not super) and to be something that I can identify with. So, if they change ToT, which I still think is someone attempting to make "Spirit" look like a fool, then I guess that it will be. None of us are willing to not spend our money there and as long as we spend, it will be successful and no matter what they do, according to the powers that matter, it will be the right thing.

It's not unusual for parks to change things before they are used up just to keep the parks fresh. Uni, for example, plowed under "Jaws" for something new. Changed a great "Back to the Future" to a cartoon nothing. And how about Kong? It's not unheard of, but, timing wise it wouldn't make any sense. They have all they can say grace over with the new stuff coming in. At the very best I doubt that they would do anything to give them one less attraction right now. Later, after the other stuff is done, sure, and it might not be all that bad an idea to make the change. Of course, by then I will probably be dead anyway. We know how long it takes them to even start something, much less finish it. You can bet that hasn't changed.

tl;dr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom