Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

dstrawn9889

Before we go too far into the rabbit hole, it's not very clear what constitutes being in a character's "family" as per the Marvel/Uni contract. It's not necessarily defined by just appearing in a comic together with a character.
we are 52 pages down the rabbit hole... on something that is likely not even a 'thing', but a way to cull the loose-lipped

hopemax

At this point I'm dumbfounded we're getting the Star Wars Land that we're getting. They have free reign with Marvel in Cali and what do they come up with? Guardians of the Tower of Terror and a Captain America coaster, THAT'S DELAYED BECAUSE OF ******* SHANGHAI!!!!!!

It's things like this that make it so I can't get excited for Star Wars Land. Even if some of the designers have the best intentions and the right mindset, is so easily overrun by unbelievable dictates from on high. If they can come up with this, what brilliant ideas will they come up with for Star Wars by the time it's done?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Before we go too far into the rabbit hole, it's not very clear what constitutes being in a character's "family" as per the Marvel/Uni contract. It's not necessarily defined by just appearing in a comic together with a character.

Agree. And I'm sure Iger has had his legal department go over that contract with a fine toothed comb since the acquisition of the IP... and probably before.

Launchpad McQuack

I think that's because you know it as Rod Serling today so it's become integral to the experience. You would certainly notice if it was disassociated with The Twilight Zone, but it still would have been just as excellent if it had never had Twilight Zone in the first place.

You're probably right, but there would have to be a Ghost Host-level awesome character/narrator bringing us into the attraction.

Rescue Ranger

If they had to change it to remove the Twilight Zone theme(I LOVE the Twilight Zone, but IF for some reason the partnership with CBS ended), then I'd be perfectly happy with what they did in Tokyo. The overall theme and tone of the attraction remains.

GOTG however, is a joke as a replacement. It's not only a insult to us, its an insult to themselves to butcher the amazing work they have done in creating the Tower of Terror. At one time, you'd never even think to discuss this sort of treatment towards attractions like this or Splash or HM or Space, etc. Nothing is sacred any more it seems. Will they change the Castle too one day? Partners Statue? I'll even let Maelstrom go because lets be honest, despite that many of us may have loved it for nostalgic reasons, it wasn't a landmark attraction. The majority probably will prefer Frozen and it's Norway inspired imagery. But this supposed rework of ToT just does not make sense. In any way. With a supposed movie on the horizon, it's popularity, following, landmark status, unique merchandise and we can go on, why toss it all away?

Lets keep some aspects of the whole "old time Hollywood" theme PLEASE! Updates and enhancements are great, but not like this. ToT has to stay. TGMR has to stay(though some further additions/updates would be nice), 50's Prime Time has to stay, SciFi needs to stay and Citizens of Hollywood need to stay. At the very least. Thank goodness Muppets is staying and possibly getting a restaurant too! Amazing. Otherwise, just bulldoze the whole damn park and start from scratch.

This subject is still really bothering me :in pain:

Cesar R M

I get a kick out of you very concerned folks thinking that a handful of people known for their hatred of Disney management is going to hit them with a tiny few e-mails, that they will probably never see. And then all of a sudden they are going to slap themselves upside of the head and say... what were we thinking? Gotta admire that kind of self-confidence.
At least some people are trying to do something. Not just sit down doing nothing.

Goofyernmost

At least some people are trying to do something. Not just sit down doing nothing.
I know, and that's fine. It's just that elevated expectations in areas where enough people don't react in the same time frame, really isn't very effective. But, on the other hand, it couldn't hurt.

Cesar R M

I hate the Guardian of the Galaxy Tower of Terror concept and idea BUT I'm loving the comments on this DCP facebook group I'm a member of where they all claim that this would never happen, it's just a rumor, this is so ridiculous, Disney would never do something like this and literally ignore me when I mention that this is a rumor with actual legs to it. It's in the planning stages. I almost hope it goes through so I can sit back and watch their reactions and be like "told ya so ;)"
Disney lately seems to be loving the "Nobody Expects the spanish Inquisition" type of projects.

Cesar R M

You're probably right, but there would have to be a Ghost Host-level awesome character/narrator bringing us into the attraction.
As in Bendidong Cucumbernok? As long the narration doesnt make him say penguins

You can probably draw some sort of connection between virtually any two Marvel characters which is what makes that "families" clause of the contract so tricky.
Agree. Pretty sure the "seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" style connection ties every single character with each other.
From the most obscure galactic ones, to the most revered and famous character (like Wolverine with the first version of Rocket Raccoon)

RSoxNo1

It's not even close. Maelstrom was a mediocre ride in a park not built on rides in the first place. From a strictly creative achievement perspective, Tower of Terror is arguably THE single greatest ride at Walt Disney World. Maelstrom wasn't even top 50.
Frozen going to Norway is a mistake far many reasons, the fact that it was replacing Maelstrom is at best, 3rd on the list.

RSoxNo1

No, I do understand why it is a great attraction. Disney took a cookie cutter drop tower and plussed the heck out it. DHS ToT is an amazing experience from placement to theming to execution.

My question is why is a TZ (not owned by Disney) theme BETTER than a GotG theme assuming the attention to detail is the same?
Ahh... sorry, I misunderstood. As for the layers of Twilight Zone theming within the queue, load area and throughout the ride, everything was done with the Twilight Zone in mind. You can only strip down the attraction down so much before retheming it to Guardians. If you told anywhere on here that they were adding a Guardians of the Galaxy ride that uses the Tower of Terror drop system we'd have people saying why re-use the ride system but otherwise be ok with the ride.

The issue is WDW1974 said they're not starting from scratch, they're doing a 5 month overhaul. Given Disney's normal pace, they're not going to be able to do enough to change the attraction and surrounding areas to Guardians.

Having said that, I expect more information on this to come out in a few days. I'm less concerned about this as I was 12 hours ago.

lazyboy97o

Who counts as who's appropriate Gillian is likely detailed in the various style guides.

Fox&Hound

The only way this makes sense is if more Marvel is coming to the park eventually. Whether it's characters they can use in FL or they buy the rights back, I only believe this makes sense if its the start of something big.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom