Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

flyerjab

So I have been a WDW fan since 2009. I have stated that multiple times on this site, indicating how my opinions on many things differ from a lot of people on these very boards. I even went just as recently as this past January and had a wonderful time. I have welcomed the vast array of changes at Disney Springs (The Boathouse being a favorite of ours now). And with DAK as my favorite park, the changes to the layout and all of the night time offerings soon to be unleashed upon us, as well as Pandora looming on the horizon early next year, just have me filled with anticipation. I can even say that I love the new Hub layout, the look and feel of New Fantasyland and the concept that is the Skipper Canteen. And one of my favorite additions in the years that I have been visiting - a little over 6 - has been the Festival of Fantasy Parade. And we were so happy with our time in Orlando that we bought into DVC and buy annual passes as we frequently visit throughout the year.

I have to admit that this is the first period of time where I have taken pause and thought, "what the **** is going on?" Surge prices, DDP increases, premium pay parking, resort fees (!!), job cuts throughout the resort, no 24 hour event, and now $150 dollar upcharge events. How much longer until the Christmas and Halloween parties are triple digits per person to enter? It is a shame really.

They couldn't trumpet this message any louder if they just came right out and stated "yes, we really just want your money. That is our primary focus at the current time. Thank you." And I am not even one of those "what would Walt say" people. After all, that was some time ago and current leadership is not worried about his legacy as they are maximizing shareholder value. This is the present day reality we are faced with - with reckless alacrity we will come after you with every price increase and outlandish upcharge that we can dream up. That is capitalism.

Maybe this is what it will be like with Chapek in Charge. And in all fairness, I am not priced out yet and please don't take that as a boast. But everyone has a financial breaking point. I have felt all along that this was how Disney was going to enforce crowd control - financially.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Mike, honey, I love you more than my luggage, but I'm going to have another of those "Pinot Noir Honesty" moments for which people hate me: I was disappointed by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (the ride, not the movie). I finally rode it after years of my mother refusing to let us waste a ticket on it. After the tickets were abolished, I waited in line for over an hour just to have to admit that my mother was right. That was the worst part of all! :)
I'm with you on that. It always had a long line and it was hot. The concept was really cool (especially as a kid), but it is probably one of those things that is remembered more fondly than it was actually perceived. Plus in my mind Splash Mountain opened around the same time 20,000 leagues closed and that is a far superior ride.

HauntedMansionFLA

I could see it, though it would defeat the point of sharing costs between coasts if Anaheim is getting a GotG makeover for ToT.

That said, to build upon what you said earlier, I've actually been an advocate of having a "Heroes" type section in DHS with the comic book guys they can use and some other options mixed in. And, honestly, I've envisioned the logical place being to convert RnR to one of those IPs (like GotG) and build it around there, with a connection to Animation Courtyard. RnR is kinda detached from the rest of Sunset Blvd, so it would be easy to make that a new "land"
I know it's armchair Imagineering, but if anyone from Disney is listening, please spare ToT in WDW! And consider the following if you want to get Marvel into the parks:
1. Build TSL ASAP
2. Once it's done, take RnR off-line and convert it to a GotG theme
3. At the same time, build a second ride next to RnR themed to another hero(s) -- Big Hero 6 or The Incredibles or another Marvel character that you can use
4. Also add the requisite M&G/merch/food to that area

Now, you have a viable new land and have introduced Marvel to WDW (no, can't use the name though) and done so relatively quickly but in a sensible way given the park's capacity.
Great points. Plus, you have the new flex theatre and the BatB theatre (think dark ride) along with RNRC and ToT and I guess you have a pretty quick land for marvel. Question, out of the thousand Marvel characters out there, would any of them fit the ToT theme? I know it's a stretch.

asianway

Here we are, 37 pages in and no response to these other bombshells @1974 posted on page 3, post #52!! Having the chefs being told to get CHEAPER ingredients and serve smaller portions is outrageous also! The portions aren't all that much sometimes already and getting cheaper ingredients? I wonder how many chefs will leave because they don't want their name tarnished doing this? Getting cheaper quality ingredients , less food, and still raising prices?

And then having the parks cut labor and expenses by double digits to help the bottom line for an unopened park? Just so Iger can show a profit for shareholders? It's going to be a lot of fun at the parks with cuts going on.

I agree, changing the name of ToT should be considered sacrilegious and heads should roll for anyone who suggested it.

I think Iger is trying all he can to ruin the American parks.
I'm sure it's because guests complained they were getting too much food. That excuse hasn't been used since they took prime rib off the buffets

WDW1974

Original Poster
I somehow missed, with all this Marvel excitement (and we should all be thrilled because we have all loved the Marvel BRAND since at least late 2009, right?), these $150 upcharge MK evenings (hey, WDW peeps, you could have told me about this because I would have bashed it much more creatively than this post). I hated when they had E-Ticket Nights that were changed within two years to E-Ride Nights for $12, while closing the MK IN SUMMER as early as 9 p.m.. But wow ... $150 a head to be in a stale, poorly maintained theme park for three hours. I wouldn't pay this if I were allowed to have to myself and 200 friends.

I am sure the Lifestylers (who I bet are not talking about ToT's proposed changes at all, except maybe to take shots at me, Steve or this site) will tell their flocks to pay up.

What did Brigante announce to the court as his 'true' worth in the divorce? Somewhere between $4-5 million ... And Loveable Lou must be right up there. And if they aren't 'rich' they are living off family money, ex-spouses money, mommy and daddy's money, and government money. You don't just live in O-Town and spend all your time in the parks and dining at Disney and UNI restaurants because you actually earn the $$$. Nope ...

Kate F

I posted this all the way back in January. I've been concerned about this from the very beginning.
I'm sorry, but I just have to get this off my chest. It's been worrying me for months and I don't think anyone has even brought this up, but here it goes:

First of all, I am a huge fan of Splash Mountain, and Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox are some of my favorite Disney characters. And it really bothers me that they decided to make the main characters of this film a rabbit and a fox, out of ALL the animals. Are those really the first animals that come to mind when you think of a zoo?

Anyway, I've tried to get over it, but it is still really bugging me and I'm a bit concerned that this film will wipe away whatever relevance Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox have left, and might even be considered a potential retheme for Splash Mountain. It's not improbable, particularly the DL one, since it is located in CRITTER Country. Someone in the "Ruin a Beloved Attraction" thread joked about a Zootopia retheme of Splash Mountain, but I've actually been nervous about that happening.

I know the plot, characters, etc. of this film will be completely different, but I can't even bring myself to watch a single trailer because of these concerns. I'm probably just WAY overreacting, but is anyone else even the least bit concerned about this?

Wikkler

You're actually a few days late to the idea.
Sorry for not being up-to-date.
I somehow missed, with all this Marvel excitement (and we should all be thrilled because we have all loved the Marvel BRAND since at least late 2009, right?), these $150 upcharge MK evenings (hey, WDW peeps, you could have told me about this because I would have bashed it much more creatively than this post). I hated when they had E-Ticket Nights that were changed within two years to E-Ride Nights for $12, while closing the MK IN SUMMER as early as 9 p.m.. But wow ... $150 a head to be in a stale, poorly maintained theme park for three hours. I wouldn't pay this if I were allowed to have to myself and 200 friends.

I am sure the Lifestylers (who I bet are not talking about ToT's proposed changes at all, except maybe to take shots at me, Steve or this site) will tell their flocks to pay up.
Ugh. Disgusting. $50/hour? What a ca$h grab.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So much for that rumor about the DHS redo that swore up and down that nothing would happen to ToT, RnRC, ST, TSMM, and GMR. That the five main rides were basically the only things "safe".....

If this happens (yes, I need to qualify it still because final decision is due at end of fiscal year) then Tower will still exist. It may be the Guardian Tower. But it will exist. Largely same exterior. Same ride system. Many props staying likely ... just different pre-show and show while in the elevators. The Tower building and its look isn't going anywhere in either Anaheim or O-Town. How do you think they can do this in about 5 1/2 months?

Wikkler

If this happens (yes, I need to qualify it still because final decision is due at end of fiscal year) then Tower will still exist. It may be the Guardian Tower. But it will exist. Largely same exterior. Same ride system. Many props staying likely ... just different pre-show and show while in the elevators. The Tower building and its look isn't going anywhere in either Anaheim or O-Town. How do you think they can do this in about 5 1/2 months?
The rough timeline seems to be:
  • Close ToT
  • Learn iMovie
  • Overlay the GotG over the ghosts in iMovie
  • Open GoT
Seems about right.

When ToT is closed, all DHS will have is Star Tours, Great Movie Ride, Muppets, and Toy Story. RnRC should stay open but Disney doesn't give a flying Groot about capacity.
"The blessing of size" is no longer relevant. Even if they have the physical space to build ten theme parks, they never will and never should grow much beyond what they current offer. Future "new" things will mostly be replacements and improvements to old things. Most American families can only vacation for one week at a time so it makes no sense for them to build more than you can experience in a week (give or take).

Again, I'm not defending this idea. I just don't think the "blessing of size" is a relevant criticism.
Does it really not make sense for Hollywood Studios to have more than five rides? A fifth park is unnecessary, but at least make sure you can keep your guests in your parks for the better part of a day.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I saw this thread was the newest post in this forum, and started rolling my eyes, and thinking, "Here we go again..." And then I saw who posted it!

Then I started reading. Just finished page 3. Imagine 100 things Disney could do to make the theme park experience worse, and they still find a way to surprise you with something worse. Is the hope that Shanghai is so bad that they don't have the funds to pay for the ToT retheme?

SDL will be a smashing success, even if it isn't.

Not because Robert A. Iger wants it to be, but because the Chinese Communist Party wants it to be.

And, from what I am hearing (and, yes, some details need to be left out to protect people) the reason this even exists as a concept is because Shanghai delayed (or worse) the mega-E-Ticket Captain America-themed coaster hybrid for DCA. This can be done relatively cheap. And it can be done in FL, where nothing else Marvel that anyone cares about could.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, one idea for those who can't wrap their brains around this absolutely absurd idea that is rapidly rushing toward reality land: contact Disney.

No, not Guest Relations.

Contact the heads of DLR and WDW. Contact Bob Chapek. Contact Joe Rohde. Contact Christine at DCA and Phil at The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. Hell, contact Cupcake and Erin Glover, West Coast Cupcake Too.

Get any of the above to simply state on the record that "At this time we have no plans to add a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay to our ToT attractions in Anaheim and Florida."

You won't. Because even though they lie, they damn well know I know where this is coming from and the time line and they can't say something in March and something different in September and act like it just came to them. Even they wouldn't do that. But go ahead ... then maybe there wouldn't be so many Angry Disney Fans on the Tweeter.

Mike S

So I have been a WDW fan since 2009. I have stated that multiple times on this site, indicating how my opinions on many things differ from a lot of people on these very boards. I even went just as recently as this past January and had a wonderful time. I have welcomed the vast array of changes at Disney Springs (The Boathouse being a favorite of ours now). And with DAK as my favorite park, the changes to the layout and all of the night time offerings soon to be unleashed upon us, as well as Pandora looming on the horizon early next year, just have me filled with anticipation. I can even say that I love the new Hub layout, the look and feel of New Fantasyland and the concept that is the Skipper Canteen. And one of my favorite additions in the years that I have been visiting - a little over 6 - has been the Festival of Fantasy Parade. And we were so happy with our time in Orlando that we bought into DVC and buy annual passes as we frequently visit throughout the year.

I have to admit that this is the first period of time where I have taken pause and thought, "what the **** is going on?" Surge prices, DDP increases, premium pay parking, resort fees (!!), job cuts throughout the resort, no 24 hour event, and now $150 dollar upcharge events. How much longer until the Christmas and Halloween parties are triple digits per person to enter? It is a shame really.

They couldn't trumpet this message any louder if they just came right out and stated "yes, we really just want your money. That is our primary focus at the current time. Thank you." And I am not even one of those "what would Walt say" people. After all, that was some time ago and current leadership is not worried about his legacy as they are maximizing shareholder value. This is the present day reality we are faced with - with reckless alacrity we will come after you with every price increase and outlandish upcharge that we can dream up. That is capitalism.

Maybe this is what it will be like with Chapek in Charge. And in all fairness, I am not priced out yet and please don't take that as a boast. But everyone has a financial breaking point. I have felt all along that this was how Disney was going to enforce crowd control - financially.
I say this as a friend, but, you missed the best period of the resort. You came on just as things were starting to go downhill.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is terrible news to me. The Tower of Terror in Florida should be sacred like The Haunted Mansion.

They can destroy Disneyland's version if they want to, as they got the inferior product...but leave perfection alone in Florida.

I was about to 'like' this for the first part, but I can't due to the second.

While DCA's ToT is inferior (one of the very few times WDW came out with the best version ... although TDS's theming almost makes up for the tame ride profile) it is still a great attraction. It's like saying that you can destroy MK's PotC because it sucks compared to Anaheim (and, indeed, every version of the ride currently open ... and, yeah, soon to be open as well). If all you knew was DCA's Tower it is still a pretty damn spectacular ride experience. The fact it is the lesser version should in NO WAY make it OK to destroy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom