Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Oriolesmagic

It wouldn't be cheaper because you'd have two completely different projects.

Retheming Tower of Terror would be a project that would have a much greater scale than a retheme of Rock n Roller Coaster. Doesn't matter if Anaheim is doing it over there, it doesn't completely cancel out the costs on this side.

Bob Harlem

Just a brief Sunday afternoon post to clarify.

First, not rumor. This is currently the plan for Anaheim and Orlando. Anaheim is where this generated from after the major E-Ticket coaster got (temporarily?) shelved due to Shanghai's issues. It has been clarified to me that this is a Bob Chapek project and comes from his desire to get Marvel product in the parks as quickly as possible.

This is not blue sky. It is in the development pipeline.

Nothing is a done deal until it happens (that means that SDL might not open, but I sorta think it will) but this is looking extremely likely in CA. and Disney wants it in Florida as well to split the costs and make it appear they are adding actual attractions like Universal and Sea World etc.

The only issue on the FL end is WDW has balked at the costs and would rather a temporary overlay and DCA needs a permanent major Marvel attraction until the now Captain America themed mega-coaster (not RnRC clone any longer) gets budgeted and slotted for build.

This project could happen in one resort alone, but it is highly unlikely. If everything stays on course, DCA's ToT will close in January and reopen by May or June. WDW's would likely follow not long after.

What, if anything, can Universal do to stop this? What is the rumored upgrade happening over there all about?

Cesar R M

I can't imagine this happening. I just can't. The senior imagineers must know better. Do they just stay silent when this stuff comes up? I just don't understand.
they probably get kicked and forced to resign if they talk negatively?

whatshouldwedo2.jpg

Cesar R M

@WDW1974 was there anything legitimate in your sarcastic statement vis-a-vis Iger somehow negotiating to get ALL Marvel back from Universal? The only way I could MAYBE accept this would be as Phase I in a giant Marvel master plan.
I actually wonder, how Universal would counter? Buying DC comics and Dreamworks Animation entire portfolio?

Oriolesmagic

The truly sad thing about this is that there's already an awful, unpopular attraction ripe for removal (Stitch's Great Escape) that would provide an absolutely perfect location for a GotG attraction. But the higher-ups are so intent on replacing/retheming non-IP attractions with IPs that they're blind to the idea of replacing failed past attempts of doing this.

Cesar R M

Marvel potentially coming to WDW? Cool.

Disney finally deciding to use the popular and interesting IP of GotG in the parks? Like it.

Fast-tracking GotG to be added to DHS to spice up that park prior to Star Wars? Makes sense.

Replacing ToT??!?!?!? Huh? What are the decision makers smoking that makes this even seem like an idea that could be discussed, let along approved?

Looking over WDW1974's description of the development is interesting. We know where the Marvel land is going in DCA (next to their ToT). ToT there is kinda tucked away and it would be easy and even make sense potentially to convert it to GotG and have it be mart of a larger Marvel land there. I'm not going to say that I love the idea or anything, but it works and there's a certain logic. It can be broken off from Hollywood Land kinda easily.

But it doesn't make any sense in WDW for so many reasons. It doesn't fit the theme of Sunset Blvd and would be out of place. DHS can't lose arguably their biggest headliner for the refurb with so much already shut down in the park. And DHS desperately needs additional attractions, not replacements (and has space for more stuff if they were willing to put the money in). Why would you waste money re-skinning an already awesome attractions when the park could much better benefit from a bunch of other rides instead?

And isn't DCA's ToT very different in structure to DHS's? If so, how easy is it to "clone" between the two anyway?

Here's my idea that makes this more plausible and sensible: OK, re-theme ToT in California, but you leave it in Florida. You don't want a second drop tower in DHS, so you use one of the expansion pads (or re-place something like Laugh Floor) in Tomorrowland to add this new GotG drop there. Since that ride would be the same mechanics as the DCA ride, it would be easier to clone (though you obviously spend more as new build).

All this said, I'd rather they build a novel new GotG ride in DHS. The park needs all the help it can get.
unless the plan is pretty much destroy the entire avenues and boulevards and redo the entire park tiny by tiny even if at first it looks like a Frankenstein level turd not worth even 10 USD entrance?

Magenta Panther

Retheming Tower of Terror would be a project that would have a much greater scale than a retheme of Rock n Roller Coaster. Doesn't matter if Anaheim is doing it over there, it doesn't completely cancel out the costs on this side.

I would be totally okay with a GOTG retheme for RocknRoller Coaster. Yeah, it'd be a weird location for it, but forget cohesive theming for DHS - that's out the window now.

You know what would make the greatest sense? Put GOTG in the Muppet courtyard area. Stop foaming, Muppet fans - think about it. What is Star Wars about? Characters adventuring in the galaxy. And what is GOTG about? Characters adventuring in the galaxy. A GOTG attraction would be a much better fit in that courtyard than what's there now, since Star Wars is (apparently) going to be surrounding it. A new 3D film could be installed in that theater and a new facade slapped over it. Sure, you'd have an odd mix of Star Wars and Marvel...but again, theming doesn't matter in DHS anymore.

Of course the BEST idea is just to build a whole new ride in a new location for GOTG...oh, geez, now I'm talking crazy :p

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I have an idea for stopping this, but it means sinking to the level of some current candidates for office and would (1) get me banned from this site and (2) visited by members of federal law enforcement agencies. I don't normally think in those terms, but what Disney is planning is making me that angry.....

Fox&Hound

Wow, I really don't understand this...at all. Horrible idea in Cali but I guess it kind of makes sense if it's part of a larger land. How does this fit in DHS? Will DHS lose all of its hollywood identity? If they hadn't just put in work at GMR I'd argue that the park was completely moving away from the movie theme. And how will this make it more popular- it's still the same ride? It's a huge gamble and at the end of the day it does not add a single ride to the park. Maybe in Cali but they would be beyond stupid to put this in DHS unless there are major plans we don't know about...

I would rather hear they were spending the money to buy out Marvel......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom