Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

AEfx

When I read, "the Tower of Terror is a simple ride..." and "it’s a basic drop ride..." I stopped reading. Don't write an article about a ride you've never been on.

Devil's advocate - I don't know if the author has or hasn't been on it - but no matter how gussied up and themed and exquisitely done, yes, it still is really just a drop ride. A very very good drop ride, world class - but let's face it, that's what it is. (And yes, I know all about the elevator system, etc.)

I didn't ride it for the first time until until the late 90's - in my pre-AP days (as opposed to my post-AP days now) my poor college self could only afford a single one-day ticket, and I picked MGM over MK because of ToT. I was impressed with the queue and theming and such...but I thought there was, like, a ride before the drop. A la Splash Mountain. I was pretty surprised that it all ended so quickly and the drop was really the bulk of the experience.

Matt_Black

I was impressed with the queue and theming and such...but I thought there was, like, a ride before the drop. A la Splash Mountain. I was pretty surprised that it all ended so quickly and the drop was really the bulk of the experience.

LittleMermaid_8.jpg

AEfx

Remember, early in it's lifespan, the actual drop part wasn't all that substantial. It wasn't until the later reprogramming that you had multiple drops in the dropshaft.

Yeah, the random drop sequences, multiple drops, etc. did add a bit to the experience. I think a lot of folks forget it hasn't always been that way.

AndyS2992

Whilst I am totally against changing Tower of Terror, has anyone actually checked to see if the Twilight Zone license from CBS is expiring? People seem to forget/are unaware that the Twilight Zone is not owned by Disney, oddly. I'm sure they wouldn't just change a highly successful ride without good reason.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Whilst I am totally against changing Tower of Terror, has anyone actually checked to see if the Twilight Zone license from CBS is expiring? People seem to forget/are unaware that the Twilight Zone is not owned by Disney, oddly. I'm sure they wouldn't just change a highly successful ride without good reason.
It's up for renewal.
Heard from another source tonight. From a completely different part of TWDC. Again, confirmation of a few things.

1.) Desire to stop paying CBS royalties, even if they must be a pittance (trying to find out what that deal entails), as the deal is up for renewal; and
2.) Chappie's desire to get Marvel IP into the parks (as he was very good at selling Thor hammers, Hulk action figures and Avengers tees as head of CP) as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Are the crazies still saying I am wrong or pulling this out of my tuchus? Oh, and again let me stress that both WDI and Chappie are not doing this to destroy ToT. They just are so beyond ignorant that they think this is a great idea. Not sure anything is gonna stop this train. (Oh and please tell the Twit nuts that Disney can and will use Guardians in O-Town ... and if these characters are allegedly going to be in a film with the Avengers, that has either passed muster with legal or they won't be in the film. I haven't studied the contract, but I don't think just appearing in a film with these characters makes them off-limits. I could be wrong about that, but Disney isn't moving ahead without this being already certified as OK. No secret deals with UNI here.)

Megbutnotmegan

I know of one person who would support this change... My 4 year old son. He rode ToT this year for the first time. He loved the drops/lifts/door opening. He HATED the "eyeball." I don't even remember the eyeball but apparently it was shown twice in the videos during the ride and completely freaked him out. He talked about it all week.

Bairstow

Devil's advocate - I don't know if the author has or hasn't been on it - but no matter how gussied up and themed and exquisitely done, yes, it still is really just a drop ride. A very very good drop ride, world class - but let's face it, that's what it is. (And yes, I know all about the elevator system, etc.)

I didn't ride it for the first time until until the late 90's - in my pre-AP days (as opposed to my post-AP days now) my poor college self could only afford a single one-day ticket, and I picked MGM over MK because of ToT. I was impressed with the queue and theming and such...but I thought there was, like, a ride before the drop. A la Splash Mountain. I was pretty surprised that it all ended so quickly and the drop was really the bulk of the experience.

Just wait till you do the California version.

Jones14

While I'm not sure exactly what quality to expect from Frozen Ever After, that price is absurd no matter how you cut the cheese. Has MK even had a substantial refurb this year?
Pirates recently came back online, and Big Thunder is slated to start a new one in August. If they're smart, they'll spend the rest on a proper refurb for Space Mountain.

Donaldfan1934

Pirates recently came back online, and Big Thunder is slated to start a new one in August. If they're smart, they'll spend the rest on a proper refurb for Space Mountain.
The Pirates refurb happened last year and BTMR is happening during the second half of the year. I assume the $500 million would be regarding things that were were either started on or slated to open between January to June of this year. But even if BTMR is counted in, the amount is still excessive. I would love for Space Mountain to get a proper refurb, but I would be shocked beyond all reasonable belief if anything were to happen involving that before the 50th, let alone in the next year. That's assuming the ride doesn't fall apart on itself before then of course.:banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom