Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Disney already had the other GotG designed, but not constructed. Rocket would be an animatronic puppet on the shoulder of Groot, and, if Chewie and Darth are any indication, would have prerecorded statements based on the actions of Groot.

asianway

Disney already had the other GotG designed, but not constructed. Rocket would be an animatronic puppet on the shoulder of Groot, and, if Chewie and Darth are any indication, would have prerecorded statements based on the actions of Groot.
My entire youth Rocket Raccoon was a punchline in Marvel comics, Wizard Magazine and online message boards.

I just dont think GotG has staying power, no matter how entertaining the movie was

Cesar R M

Sounds a lot like Uni's Knight bus..
Where "Stan" throws jokes, and the head replies.
Very funny interactions!

My entire youth Rocket Raccoon was a punchline in Marvel comics, Wizard Magazine and online message boards.

I just dont think GotG has staying power, no matter how entertaining the movie was

Perhaps not movie wise. But they definitively are in comic. Id say they are pretty popular comic wise now (and perhaps TV show wise).
Funny, because I think the original version was pretty mediocre.
Now Rocket and Groot have their own series and they are absolutely HILARIOUS.

Magenta Panther

I never thought anything could lessen my enthusiasm for the Disney parks, but this Tower rumor has done it. It made me almost literally sick. Not just because of the thought of the destruction of one of the best attractions ever built anywhere, but because of what that said about who's running the Disney company now. Gutting the Tower to stick in a bunch of third-rate Marvel characters. Putting the Muppets in Liberty Square. How could people so dense, so oblivious and so insipid be part of Walt's company? Apparently, Robert Iger has disciples. And they're the reason we can't have nice things. We can't even keep nice things.

I've made reservations to stay at Universal Orlando this fall instead of at WDW. This is the first time ever. I was planning to stay at the Boardwalk, but forget that. I might use Meers to visit the Magic Kingdom while it's still worth it, while it's still whole and unbesmirched with off-studio IP. But I'm done with WDW as a vacation destination. After this fall, if I need a Disney parks fix, maybe I'll go to Disneyland. And I would like to visit Tokyo Disneyland at least once. But that's it. I'm done with WDW. Remember, I'm not a purist. I have suggested that Jungle Cruise and Country Bears (which I loved as a kid) are past their expiration date and need to be majorly upgraded or replaced. But the news these past few weeks has been horrific. It's all been about park degradation, not plussing. And now I despise this Chapek guy as much as I despise Iger. They're both vile greedy capitalist pigs who will sacrifice anything for a buck, and even if they both get their walking papers someday, the destruction they'll leave in their wake might be irreparable.

And one more thing. I don't think much of a company that will build a park in a country like China, which at present is busy tearing down churches. The other day, a pastor's wife was bulldozed into a ditch and buried alive in full view of the parishioners. I hope Shanghai blows up right in your face, Iger. I hope it'll be your Waterloo. I only hope that when you get yours, the Disney company will be able to recover.

Matt_Black

Aquaman was considered a punchline. He's getting his own movie, and he was the best part of Batman: The Brave & The Bold on Cartoon Network.

Also, I don't think you can cite Wizard Magazine to prove whether a character is relevant or not, as they haven't been relevant for over a decade or so.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I never thought anything could lessen my enthusiasm for the Disney parks, but this Tower rumor has done it. It made me almost literally sick. Not just because of the thought of the destruction of one of the best attractions ever built anywhere, but because of what that said about who's running the Disney company now. Gutting the Tower to stick in a bunch of third-rate Marvel characters. Putting the Muppets in Liberty Square. How could people so dense, so oblivious and so insipid be part of Walt's company? Apparently, Robert Iger has disciples. And they're the reason we can't have nice things. We can't even keep nice things.

I've made reservations to stay at Universal Orlando this fall instead of at WDW. This is the first time ever. I was planning to stay at the Boardwalk, but forget that. I might use Meers to visit the Magic Kingdom while it's still worth it, while it's still whole and unbesmirched with off-studio IP. But I'm done with WDW as a vacation destination. After this fall, if I need a Disney parks fix, maybe I'll go to Disneyland. And I would like to visit Tokyo Disneyland at least once. But that's it. I'm done with WDW. Remember, I'm not a purist. I have suggested that Jungle Cruise and Country Bears (which I loved as a kid) are past their expiration date and need to be majorly upgraded or replaced. But the news these past few weeks has been horrific. It's all been about park degradation, not plussing. And now I despise this Chapek guy as much as I despise Iger. They're both vile greedy capitalist pigs who will sacrifice anything for a buck, and even if they both get their walking papers someday, the destruction they'll leave in their wake might be irreparable.

And one more thing. I don't think much of a company that will build a park in a country like China, which at present is busy tearing down churches. The other day, a pastor's wife was bulldozed into a ditch and buried alive in full view of the parishioners. I hope Shanghai blows up right in your face, Iger. I hope it'll be your Waterloo. I only hope that when you get yours, the Disney company will be able to recover.
giphy.gif

rioriz

The only Orlando Park that still holds a traditional Disney feel to me is AK and I'm sure that is largely Rhode's doing. He may not have liked the original idea of Pandora but he will give it his all to make it fit into the story of AK. You can give that man a piece of crap and he will turn it into the most majestic piece of crap ever created. Sometimes that still doesn't make up for it being crap...looking at you Dinoland USA

Mike S

It's the only picture I could find of Iger and Chapek together. I'll leave this meme in a spoiler even though I censored it.
image.jpeg

imperius

Well seeing as GOTG2 is releasing next year, GOTG3 had been announced, they have a cartoon, rocket and groot have their own comic, star lord has his own comic, GOTG have their own comic currently, I would think they will be around awhile.

jt04

The only Orlando Park that still holds a traditional Disney feel to me is AK and I'm sure that is largely Rhode's doing. He may not have liked the original idea of Pandora but he will give it his all to make it fit into the story of AK. You can give that man a piece of crap and he will turn it into the most majestic piece of crap ever created. Sometimes that still doesn't make up for it being crap...looking at you Dinoland USA

Dinoland should go extinct.

hopemax

I don't believe this is a "new" thing. The corporate culture changed a long, long time ago. The problem isn't just the people Iger put in, but the people every head of Parks & Resorts has put in since Richard Nunis left. When it was just a few people, there was enough inertia to stomp out the really bad decisions. Now, basically the only people left are people who who were brought in post-Nunis, and had no exposure to the old ways. It has just taken THIS LONG for the culture change to reach the point ,where not only someone didn't understand Disney enough to THINK of the bad idea, but there is not large enough momentum for anyone else to kill it.

asianway

Well seeing as GOTG2 is releasing next year, GOTG3 had been announced, they have a cartoon, rocket and groot have their own comic, star lord has his own comic, GOTG have their own comic currently, I would think they will be around awhile.
If FF can crash and burn, GotG success is anything but guaranteed

jt04

Seems as though it is a go for DCA. No problem in that. I think they will do a great job there.

Watching the tree of life show, I thought the raccoon was going to turn into rocket and the tree into groot. But it didn't. I won't mention it again so as to not give anyone any ideas.

No Name

Well then. Do you think much of Walt, who built a park in a country where people were being punished for their communist beliefs, where blacks were being segregated, and where other groups were being severely mistreated? How could he build a park in a country that killed thousands upon thousands of innocent Japanese with the atomic bombs? Do you wish Disneyland had blown up in Walt's face?

What I'm saying is that every country has their faults. And for as many "crazies" as China may have, there are millions more who deserve to enjoy the park. It's absolutely ridiculous to think or say that they shouldn't build a park in China because a very small majority are doing bad things.

Shanghai Disneyland needed to happen. It's a relatively untapped market, and Universal is building a park up the road in Beijing. I'm glad Disney will have a leg on the competition. And I'm glad they're expanding. People whine and cry about them being cheap and refusing to spend on Parks and Resorts, but this is exactly the kind of expansion that we should be applauding. This is real growth, not artificial growth, and real growth lasts and pays off down the road.

Keep in mind this whole thing is a rumor that's becoming less likely each day, or at least I hope. GotG: ToT would not be real growth. Or growth at all. Animal Kingdom's new offerings (and Avatar Land, when it opens) are real growth. Shanghai Disneyland is real growth.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

Well then. Do you think much of Walt, who built a park in a country where people were being punished for their communist beliefs, where blacks were being segregated, and where other groups were being severely mistreated? How could he build a park in a country that killed thousands upon thousands of innocent Japanese with the atomic bombs? Do you wish Disneyland had blown up in Walt's face?

What I'm saying is that every country has their faults. And for as many "crazies" as China may have, there are millions more who deserve to enjoy the park. It's absolutely ridiculous to think or say that they shouldn't build a park in China because a very small majority are doing bad things.

Shanghai Disneyland needed to happen. It's a relatively untapped market, and Universal is building a park up the road in Beijing. I'm glad Disney will have a leg on the competition. And I'm glad they're expanding. People whine and cry about them being cheap and refusing to spend on Parks and Resorts, but this is exactly the kind of expansion that we should be applauding. This is real growth, not artificial growth, and real growth lasts and pays off down the road.

Disney has no leg up in China despite what you think. Do some basic research and you will learn why Disney went with Shanghai instead of Beijing. Shanghai is a cutthroat town where businessmen will literally "Shanghai" to get a deal. They are extremely money orientated and materialistic which fits modern Disney values however will also come to their demise. The culture there is snobbish so don't expect as many visitors in Shanghai from the local communities around as many don't like to be looked down on. The people of Shanghai will turn on Disney the moment its not the greatest thing on Earth.

Magenta Panther

That very small majority being the Chinese government, of course. And it does seem a bit hypocritical that Disney will pressure American states over legislation it doesn't like, threatening to remove its business interests, yet seems to have no issue doing business with China despite what China does to its citizens. That's what I'M saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom