Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

No Name

Apologizing in advance for getting a bit off topic.

Disney has no leg up in China despite what you think. Do some basic research and you will learn why Disney went with Shanghai instead of Beijing. Shanghai is a cutthroat town where businessmen will literally "Shanghai" to get a deal. They are extremely money orientated and materialistic which fits modern Disney values however will also come to their demise. The culture there is snobbish so don't expect as many visitors in Shanghai from the local communities around as many don't like to be looked down on. The people of Shanghai will turn on Disney the moment its not the greatest thing on Earth.

Shanghai Disneyland will be the first park in mainland China and that automatically gives it a head start over Universal. The two cities are certainly different, but I don't believe there's such a stark difference between Shanghai and Beijing as you're trying to make it seem. And why would people be looked down on for going to the park?

That very small majority being the Chinese government, of course. And it does seem a bit hypocritical that Disney will pressure American states over legislation it doesn't like, threatening to remove its business interests, yet seems to have no issue doing business with China despite what China does to its citizens. That's what I'M saying.

And the very small majority in the 40s and 50s was primarily the US government. You're ignoring much of my point, but it's a lost cause. I could name all of the things the US does to its citizens. You clearly do not like China, and I can't and won't change that.

I'm done with this topic here, lets take it to the Shanghai forum if you'd like.

Quinnmac000

Shanghai Disneyland will be the first park in mainland China and that automatically gives it a head start over Universal. The two cities are certainly different, but I don't believe there's such a stark difference between Shanghai and Beijing as you're trying to make it seem. And why would people be looked down on for going to the park?

There are a huge cultural differences in how both cities operate.There also is a huge rivalry between Shanghai and Beijing where they have to one up each other. Beijing is the seat of power and the political capital of China they will not be outdone by Shanghai in anyway same thing with Shanghai. The Olympics caused a huge problem between Beijing and Shanghai in China.

If you really think Beijing will be like congrats on being a huge success we will let you be successful for the long run, you are kidding yourself.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/04/world/la-fg-china-rivals-20101004/

The Shanghainese have a reputation for snobbery, and Chinese often complain that they feel shut out in Shanghai, perhaps because the dialect is almost incomprehensible to Mandarin speakers. Larimer wrote, "The Shanghai dialect is rich and guttural. The language has been losing ground since the 1950s, when Beijing launched its campaign to unify the country with standardized Mandarin. The crowded lilong served to sustain the dialect; in the suburbs, families often retreat to their private spaces, blocked off from each other. Even so, many proud Shanghainese use the language as a secret code to signal that they belong to the in crowd---and often to ensure fair deals in local shops.

In terms of doing business, Shanghaiese prefer to dismiss the small talk and get right to work and are known for carefully examining the fine print where as Beijingers prefer to have a big meal, make a lot toasts and drink up before settling down to business. One Shanghaiese wroter told the Washington Post, “In Shanghai, we don't become brothers. If we are doing business, its cooperation, and so we sign on the dotted line." A Korean who lives in Shanghai told The New Yorker, “You can do business with them. But you should realize that, in the end, they are always going to win."

Cesar R M

Well seeing as GOTG2 is releasing next year, GOTG3 had been announced, they have a cartoon, rocket and groot have their own comic, star lord has his own comic, GOTG have their own comic currently, I would think they will be around awhile.
GOTG as more than one comic release.
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (based on Marvel's cinematic universe and related to the cartoon), Guardians of Infinity (multiverse version of Guardians of the Galaxy, still features Rocket and Groot and Drax currently), and the continued comic Guardians of the Galaxy that sits in the current comic universe of Marvel.
Groot had its own comic, Rocket as well, and then theres ROCKET AND GROOT too.

So thats 3 + 3 comics (not to mention the versions of Peter Quill's, Drax's and Gamora's ).. so 9 comics in circulation related to GOTG.
Thats more than NOVA, but still less than Spiderman (how many spider variants are there? I mean, theres amazing, ultimate, spider gwen, spiderwoman, venom variants and also of some of the bad guys)

Magenta Panther

And the very small majority in the 40s and 50s was primarily the US government. You're ignoring much of my point, but it's a lost cause. I could name all of the things the US does to its citizens. You clearly do not like China, and I can't and won't change that.

I'm done with this topic here, lets take it to the Shanghai forum if you'd like.

MY point is, that Disney is now using its financial power to influence public policy regarding human rights. If it's going to do that in the U.S., then it should do likewise in China. And having said that, I too will move on.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hate this idea, beyond usable words here.

I do too.

And what bothers me is the Anaheim base, where it really is thiscloseto being a done deal, seems to be blase. There was more anger over tossing a few characters into Small World. ToT is a masterpiece and while WDW is superior to DL in the execution, they are both great.

Like I said, Pirates at MK is an abject joke when compared to versions in Anaheim, Tokyo and Paris. That likely will soon include Shanghai as it really looks like the headliner that they got right in China. So, what do you say they pull the pirates theming and swap it for current IP that is hot? Because that is the fetid BS line that makes Chappie's 'make it happen' mantra seem so unstoppable.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why invest in a themed bar if it is just going to be totally gutted within a year? Things just aren't adding up.

This is something people keep sending me notes on (BTW, I realize I owe about 35 of you notes at this point and I am sorry, but life has gotten in the way of fun time, so ... you'll get them when I can. Sorry!)

I have no confirmation that a bar is being built at ToT. If it indeed is, then all it means is with 60% of The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios now unavailable for Guest usage that Disney needs a place to add booze sales it feels it is losing.
I doubt very much that this bar is going to be themed to the TZ or 1939-Hollywood in any significant way. I also think that one project was happening at the same point as the other with no clue whatsoever between teams because this is how Disney operates.

WDW1974

Original Poster
THIS needs to be discussed. THIS is why these crap idea can come to fruition. The fan community has completely lost its voice thanks to all the absolute unimportant minutiae the community gnashes their teeth about every 2 minutes.

The boy who cried wolf, as it were. That comment from your source is so telling.

Anaheim in particular lost its rally behind their leader (Al Lutz) and now it might as well not have a voice at all.

I have said before that Al came around at a very unique time and place where his voice could gain significant traction beyond the fan community. It is very tough to do that now, if not impossible. Believe it or not, but my voice beyond this realm gets much more weight at Disney, then this wacky Spirit persona that every fanboi loves (or loves to hate). And it still doesn't do enough.

And we are in an era where everyone in the fan community is more interested in their own BRANDs ... that is whether they have businesses, travel agencies, podcasts, blogs or simply tweet 28.6 hours a day like my old (young) pal the EPCOT Explorer (who lives on the Tweeter, even though he is a middle school teacher now -- really!) They never see the big picture because doing so might require them to put aside their own BRAND building and ... how would you put it in politics? ... oh yeah, reach across the aisle for the good of all fans.

That doesn't happen. And all you get are factions. I see it with Tower so clearly. This will drive them all batty, but ONLY if it happens on both coasts. If it just winds up in Anaheim -- still, the most likely scenario -- then they will think they won something. Go back to my Pirates analogy if you really think you can justify the Marvel overlay in Anaheim. The only reasons it may not happen here, or happen immediately, are cost and the all-too-real issue of closing down the park's premier attraction for 5-8 months when the entire park is already being demo'd.

Fans don't even know what is important anymore because being a Disney fan in 2016 is so fundamentally different from being one in 1976 or 1986 and even really 1996. So many Disney fans are fans of lower quality, lower brow offerings ... don't fundamentally get what set the company apart all the way up to the turn of the century ... and think that (you can fill in the blank here with anything from ESPN to The Incredible Hulk to BB-8 to etc etc) IP acquisitions of the company or new tech projects somehow equate with Walt and WED and Disney Storytelling and it just isn't so.

But, hey, Captain America Civil War is tracking toward being the fifth highest opening film of all-time right now ... so the fact they destroyed EPCOT and Disney-MGM and are adding a cancer to DL and taking the wilderness away from the WL ... that's all cool. Because we all are supposed to care about that ... and hey, keep following your favorite Twits as they let you know just when the new Marvel and Star Wars Tsum-Tsums are available at Disney Store and DisneyStore.com.

Do you get what I am saying? The fan community is splintered into so many categories that Disney wins no matter what.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I did like Aladdin though the one time I saw it.

I loved it. But I also was involved with people who first birthed the show in 2003. ... I also find it hard to believe the show isn't timeless, especially if the film is coupled with having a Genie who always tosses out current humor in his role. Plus, the show debuted just a few years ago on the DCL and on Broadway and is just starting a global Disney Theatrical roll out. I loved it in 2003 and I loved it when I last saw it in 2015.

That said, if they can make a quality show based on Frozen, I'm sure I will enjoy that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll repeat yet again (since I don't have time to play catch up here) that there is absolutely NO legal issue with Disney using GotG at DL or WDW. That means both now ... and in the future. I know there is psycho-legal blather going on about the contract rights and families and characters appearing with the Avengers in a film in 3-4-5 years.

Disney and UNI share one thing in common (well, many but for the sake of my point, one) and that is very highly compensated and detailed legal teams. They both understand this contract inside out. Disney would not be going forward with plans if it couldn't do so or if it would have to rip the overlay off when a film came out.

FigmentJedi

Spirit, asking this because its another random horribly unfitting overlay rumor, but is there anything to that claim floating around of the Muppets moving into Liberty Square? It sounds like the sort of thing that'd be fake as hell, but with these Tower plans establishing Chapek as a "Worse then Pressler" threat, I would not be surprised if it was something that crossed his mind.

mickEblu

I do too.

And what bothers me is the Anaheim base, where it really is thiscloseto being a done deal, seems to be blase. There was more anger over tossing a few characters into Small World. ToT is a masterpiece and while WDW is superior to DL in the execution, they are both great.

Like I said, Pirates at MK is an abject joke when compared to versions in Anaheim, Tokyo and Paris. That likely will soon include Shanghai as it really looks like the headliner that they got right in China. So, what do you say they pull the pirates theming and swap it for current IP that is hot? Because that is the fetid BS line that makes Chappie's 'make it happen' mantra seem so unstoppable.

Yup, I really don't understand how a lot of my fellow Disneylanders on these boards are ok or just indifferent about losing TZTOT for GOTG. For many many reasons that I have repeated over and over again. With That said is there anything that us over here in Anaheim can do if TDA is set on doing this? I made my phone calls but anything else?

I remember you had some positive things to say when Bob Weiss got promoted.... Does it even matter when someone like Chapek is running the show? So in this case, what does this really mean for us .... we ll just a get a less terrible overlay then if Weiss wasn't there?

Chef Kronk

The direction that Disney is going is very scary. ToT is a beloved attraction by millions of guests who visit WDW and the Twilight Zone theme is what makes it so special. I was very un-impressed by GotG and it's mind-boggling to think that Disney is actually going to go ahead with this.

If DHS looks like a disaster now, just wait until ToT closes. Please, Disney, do not ruin one of the best attractions at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom