Male Cast Member Costumes

GladToBeHear

Back to the original post. Then it's time to put everyone in unisex costumes with shirts and pants/shorts. This is the only way to be truly inclusive for everyone -- for the cast members and for the guests. Hopefully, this is where this is headed.

Figgy1

If a man wants to be head of household and have me cook and clean at home, don’t let a single complaint leave your mouth when I ask for/demand at least $500+ per week for my personal and essential needs.

I would, too. Or maybe just work part-time.

Being realistic, I’d actually ask for a weekly $1,000 allowance, minimum
I do it and you're undervaluing your services;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Groceries, clothes, monthly bills, extracurricular activities, travel, and more. I would also want to save some of it.

I’m from and live in Los Angeles. I spend about $400-700 on groceries alone per month.

It said allowance so i assumed that was on top of most of what you listed. Not bills or groceries and likely travel would be accounted for elsewhere too.

Minthorne

I’m Really curious, no shade here, but what would you spend that much money on? Even getting two Starbucks a day, fast food or eating out for lunch, hot yoga, maybe buy a movie on Amazon a couple times a week, 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ i just can’t think of any way I’d spend $4,500 a month outside of household expenses so I’d love to hear more things to consider. There’s obviously a good life i have no idea how to live lol.
A pool boy.

Chi84

Premium Member
So do people care what a CM looks like or not? Is that ok or not
Some do care. They want the CMs to wear costumes that match their part of the parks. From what I’ve read here, they find the costuming a big part of the Disney theming.

Others probably wouldn’t care if all CMs wore identical uniforms.

I think most people want CMs to adhere to a dress code that would require basic attention to hygiene and grooming, although lord knows the general public has differing ideas on what that may be.

GladToBeHear

How can inclusivity be in “one direction?” Wouldn’t you then be excluding someone?
That's my point. When it's in one direction, it's not truly inclusive, now is it?
Disney could easily do that but a lot of people seem to like the themed costumes.
They can still be themed. Just unisex in either pants or shorts versions. I think it's a win-win for everyone.

I work in a creative field where we costume (themed) young performers -- both male and female -- across the country (in different socio-economic/political/etc. regions). This is what we've been doing for several years now.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's my point. When it's in one direction, it's not truly inclusive, now is it?

They can still be themed. Just unisex in either pants or shorts versions. I think it's a win-win for everyone.

I work in a creative field where we costume (themed) young performers -- both male and female -- across the country (in different socio-economic/political/etc. regions). This is what we've been doing for several years now.
But why do you think it’s in one direction and which direction? I can’t figure out what you’re talking about.

KeithVH

Some do care. They want the CMs to wear costumes that match their part of the parks. From what I’ve read here, they find the costuming a big part of the Disney theming.

Others probably wouldn’t care if all CMs wore identical uniforms.

I think most people want CMs to adhere to a dress code that would require basic attention to hygiene and grooming, although lord knows the general public has differing ideas on what that may be.

And that's the problem. Some people care a lot, some are sorta there, other could care less. Now takes those attitudes and magnify them across the spectrum of the Disney business and what guests end up with. Disney doesn't feel the need to conform to any one group because there isn't consensus. So the parks end up with wishy washy policies and procedures that get debated about here for pages and pages. AND NOT A DAMN THING CHANGES. Except maybe a decline of a couple more degrees . . .

DisneyHead123

But why do you think it’s in one direction and which direction? I can’t figure out what you’re talking about.
I hope I don’t regret jumping into this thread but I do loves me some philosophical questions.

“Inclusivity” is a vague term, like “freedom”. We obviously can’t have absolute inclusivity because it would mean embracing everyone from fascists to violent sociopaths. I mean I guess we could do that, but then a totalitarian type would just take over and create a totally un-inclusive society. When we say inclusivity, it’s about making a particular circle bigger but still with boundaries where people are excluded. In the paradigm we’re discussing here, older more conservative views are the excluded. This paradigm is most decidedly not more inclusive to them. You will sometimes hear people complain that this means we have diversity of more superficial characteristics like what one is wearing, but not “diversity of viewpoints”.

My personal point of view - I am old enough (mid 40s) that at a visceral level, cis men in women’s dresses strikes me as esoteric (transgender men wouldn’t strike me as unusual.) Akin to, I don’t know, cast members wearing giant inflatable flamingo hats or something. However, I feel that it would be hypocritical of me not to support cast members wearing whatever costume they want - so I feel it’s “on me”, in this case, to realize I just grew up in a different time and work on getting over my reaction. That said… I also have a hard time thinking we should demonize some sweet grey haired grandma and grandpa from the midwest as bigots because they think a man in a dress at the Magic Kingdom - the epitome of squeaky clean all American life - is shocking. I think at some point you give people some grace and say, hey, they were just raised in a totally different time, change isn’t easy, let’s not demand that a 60 or 70 something who can’t adjust to radically altered social norms at the drop of a hat is some kind of hateful xenophobe. They were enculturated for decades with certain norms, I think change being difficult and often anxiety-producing when the world suddenly looks very different is natural.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom