Male Cast Member Costumes

Lilofan

Custodial cast member costumes in the park are the same for male and female. I don't think that team has issues on costumes.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Custodial cast member costumes in the park are the same for male and female. I don't think that team has issues on costumes.
Well... they're still cut for the body types which they're being placed onto.

Cesar R M

Solution:

Every CM from now on will be in a 'fur costume.'

The character costumes with the giant heads and bulky fur onesie will easily hide purple hair, tattoos, black nail polish, bodily shapes, and exposed ankles. It will be impossible to know a CMs gender or race or age.

From the ticket booth staffed by Sully to the server at Be Our Guest in a Queen of Hearts costume, the personal looks of the human beings serving you will be covered up and no longer a nuisance to one's enjoyment of the parks.

/solved.
On one side, I can imagine the chaos and how hilarious would be seeing them server, stumble, etc..

On the other side. You bet Disney wouldn't pay them better and the CMs would most likely suffer more.

Cesar R M

No.

NO.

During my time in WDW as friends with Tigger, one person on this board thought I was a "furry" and sent me some rather creepy messages.

No dude. It was a job, not a lifestyle. Creepy mofugger.
You didn't get "murry purry"? :hilarious:
:hilarious:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well... they're still cut for the body types which they're being placed onto.
Even with just within one gender costumes have to be cut for body type such as tall and large, petite and full figured.

A body-building male CM may need a larger chest size costume than for some women.

I know you know this, I'm saying this for those who play the "but biology has given them different dimensions!!" crowd.

There are a significant number of people of both genders who don't conform to "the average," and thus require different cuts.

It's why clothing comes with different measurements, even for those of the same gender.

Cesar R M

Even with just within one gender costumes have to be cut for body type such as tall and large, petite and full figured.

A body-building male CM may need a larger chest size costume than for some women.

I know you know this, I'm saying this for those who play the "but biology has given them different dimensions!!" crowd.

There are a significant number of people of both genders who don't conform to "the average," and thus require different cuts.

It's why clothing comes with different measurements, even for those of the same gender.
SPANDEX FOR EVERYONE!

"YOU CAN BE THE HERO"(tm)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
You didn't get "murry purry"? :hilarious:
:hilarious:
Cringe Wince GIF

CraftyFox

Earlier in this thread some comments were made about the historical accuracy of the new dress code, which strikes me as odd because Disney has never really made a significant attempt to approximate a particular era of fashion history in any meaningful way with the cast member costumes. The one exception off the top of my head would be the Hall of Presidents outfits, which are (very loosely) a play on 1770’s century Robe à l'Anglaise and court suits but even these incorporated random Victorian and modern elements for aesthetic reasons. The cast member costumes are not supposed to be perfect (or even serviceable) recreations of historical garb. They need to be practical uniforms with some fun historical flavoring. Even the fashion plates on display at the Emporium on Main Street don’t date to the turn of the century, they’re mid-1880’s bustle gowns. It’s a theme park, not Colonial Williamsburg.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Earlier in this thread some comments were made about the historical accuracy of the new dress code, which strikes me as odd because Disney has never really made a significant attempt to approximate a particular era of fashion history in any meaningful way with the cast member costumes. The one exception off the top of my head would be the Hall of Presidents outfits, which are (very loosely) a play on 1770’s century Robe à l'Anglaise and court suits but even these incorporated random Victorian and modern elements for aesthetic reasons. The cast member costumes are not supposed to be perfect (or even serviceable) recreations of historical garb. They need to be practical uniforms with some fun historical flavoring. Even the fashion plates on display at the Emporium on Main Street don’t date to the turn of the century, they’re mid-1880’s bustle gowns. It’s a theme park, not Colonial Williamsburg.
Don't know if you are trying to split hairs on 'accuracy' - but 'never really made a significant attempt to approximate a particular era'?

You never seen the Main Street costumes? Or HoP? Voices of Liberty? Railroads? World Showcase? Even Jungle Cruise...
Yes, many are cartoony - but many are not.

CraftyFox

Don't know if you are trying to split hairs on 'accuracy' - but 'never really made a significant attempt to approximate a particular era'?

You never seen the Main Street costumes? Or HoP? Voices of Liberty? Railroads? World Showcase? Even Jungle Cruise...
Totally! World Showcase and Voices of Liberty are definitely examples of costumes with a stronger focus on recreating folk and historical costuming. However, as a costumer, I see the vast majority of Magic Kingdom costumes as more “Ye Olde Timey” than, say, mid-Edwardian. For instance, the skipper costumes are far more 80’s Banana Republic in styling than 1930’s safari-wear and the vast majority of Main Street uniforms are just more conservative versions of modern cuts with generic ”old-timey Americana” details. There are a lot of puff sleeve blouses, modern-cut waistcoats, and calf-length skirts that don’t actually belong to any one era. But this is coming from someone with a fashion and fashion history background so I could totally be splitting hairs on accuracy.

Vegas Disney Fan

When I think of good costumes things like Liberty Tree Tavern.

1678918892440.jpeg

And 50s prime time immediately jump to mind

1678918954674.jpeg

… no idea if they’re accurate to the era or not but they sure do fit the theme and make the experience infinitely better.

Figgy1

Premium Member
When I think of good costumes things like Liberty Tree Tavern.

View attachment 704114

And 50s prime time immediately jump to mind

View attachment 704115

… no idea if they’re accurate to the era or not but they sure do fit the theme and make the experience infinitely better.
They're not accurate. I could go into some detail but it would totally further derail this thread

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom