Major Storm Damage at USO

luv

When I went to exchange my pass, nobody asked me anything. I asked them how long the line was and they said there was no line and that they waited until I got there before letting anyone in, so I wouldn't have to wait.

(They really said that. :D)

IAmALocal

When I went to exchange my pass, nobody asked me anything. I asked them how long the line was and they said there was no line and that they waited until I got there before letting anyone in, so I wouldn't have to wait.

(They really said that. :D)
No, I can't prove how the CMs handled the situation. And I can see where everyone is coming from about not believing me when what the CMs should have done is not what they did do in this situation. Quite frankly I don't understand why they didn't allow people to enter the building for shelter when it really was not that busy. Believe me or not, this is what I saw.

armyfamilyof5

We live about 22 miles west of Disney in upper Clermont 10 miles from Windemere, we left Epcot shortly after 2 or so knowing there was a chance of rain and it had sprinkled a little earlier, we hit 27 at 192 about 2:50 and it was raining hard, further down the road we pulled over and took shelter in a bank drive thru with several other vehicles because the hail was bad, lots of downed limbs and port-a-potties on the way home (along Lakeshore Drive and we live in a housing development with lots of construction). The sirens were blaring and the electricity went out so it sounds like it was slow moving to take so long to reach the attractions. When we left, I4 was already a parking lot, this was on the way to 192 west from Epcot. I hope everyone's property is quickly repaired, thank God no one was killed, people are more important than things, we like things but we love people.

ParentsOf4

This is why I called the guy a liar. Are the doors at Odyssey locked normally? Did the CMs actively prevent people from coming in?
Without visual proof, I stand by my calling him a liar.
So you have no proof but are comfortable calling the poster a liar while demanding proof? Doesn't seem like a cohesive position to take. Perhaps you know a CM who was working there at the time so we'd have more information. Until then, calling someone a liar without proof to support that accusation seems harsh.

luv

No, I can't prove how the CMs handled the situation. And I can see where everyone is coming from about not believing me when what the CMs should have done is not what they did do in this situation. Quite frankly I don't understand why they didn't allow people to enter the building for shelter when it really was not that busy. Believe me or not, this is what I saw.
I didn't call you a liar. Just reporting my limited experience.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

We live about 22 miles west of Disney in upper Clermont 10 miles from Windemere, we left Epcot shortly after 2 or so knowing there was a chance of rain and it had sprinkled a little earlier, we hit 27 at 192 about 2:50 and it was raining hard, further down the road we pulled over and took shelter in a bank drive thru with several other vehicles because the hail was bad, lots of downed limbs and port-a-potties on the way home (along Lakeshore Drive and we live in a housing development with lots of construction). The sirens were blaring and the electricity went out so it sounds like it was slow moving to take so long to reach the attractions. When we left, I4 was already a parking lot, this was on the way to 192 west from Epcot. I hope everyone's property is quickly repaired, thank God no one was killed, people are more important than things, we like things but we love people.

I think this is what we need to take from this. Freak Florida weather at its best, and as far as we know no one was killed, and hopefully that also means no harm as well. And that's what matters most, that everyone is safe!

FireChiefGoofy

I spent the day driving the Disney bus through the storm. I had just left DAK headed for OKW when the heavens opened up. Trees were down on Vacation Clun Way across from the OKW entrance. I kept many guests on board after we got to the resort for their safety. I just parked at Pennisular Road bust stop with the hazard lights on and waited for the worst to pass. Guest safety is my #1 priority while operating the bus.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

I spent the day driving the Disney bus through the storm. I had just left DAK headed for OKW when the heavens opened up. Trees were down on Vacation Clun Way across from the OKW entrance. I kept many guests on board after we got to the resort for their safety. I just parked at Pennisular Road bust stop with the hazard lights on and waited for the worst to pass. Guest safety is my #1 priority while operating the bus.

Thank you for keeping Guests safe during all this craziness! I heard the bus lines were crazy because it's the only transportation that could safely run.

nicknick553

I saw people (I'd think CM's) posting about plan b and c. Can anyone tell me what plan b and c are?
And also I saw on here earlier somewhere that sirens were blaring in UNI, does Disney have sirens for tornado warnings?

techgeek

If in fact the National Weather Service issued a Tornado Warning for areas including any theme parks and there was no organized response, that should be unacceptable.

NWS Melbourne issued 2 tornado warnings this afternoon for West Orange county, and although neither specifically mentioned the Disney area the 2:14pm one called out just about every other place in South Lake or West Orange. Looking at this bulletin and a radar screen at the time in question, there could have been no doubt a major storm system was knocking on the door. The entire area was also under a severe thunderstorm warning for the time period.

======
WFUS52 KMLB 241829
TORMLB
FLC095-241900-
/O.NEW.KMLB.TO.W.0004.130324T1829Z-130324T1900Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
229 PM EDT SUN MAR 24 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
CENTRAL ORANGE COUNTY IN FLORIDA...
THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...WINTER GARDEN...WINDERMERE...PINE
HILLS...ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...ORLANDO...OCOEE...OAK
RIDGE...CONWAY...COLLEGE PARK...AZALEA PARK...AVALON PARK...

* UNTIL 300 PM EDT.

* AT 228 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR
WINDERMERE...MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS...WET N WILD WATER PARK...SEA WORLD...PINE
CASTLE...BELLE ISLE...ORLANDO EXECUTIVE AIRPORT AND LAKE NONA

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAIT
TO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE.

&&

LAT...LON 2860 8158 2854 8112 2835 8112 2835 8117
2842 8160
TIME...MOT...LOC 1829Z 277DEG 51KT 2850 8148

$$

SPRATT

WFUS52 KMLB 241814
TORMLB
FLC069-095-241845-
/O.NEW.KMLB.TO.W.0003.130324T1814Z-130324T1845Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
214 PM EDT SUN MAR 24 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SOUTH CENTRAL LAKE COUNTY IN FLORIDA...
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF FERNDALE...
WESTERN ORANGE COUNTY IN FLORIDA...
THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...WINTER GARDEN...WINDERMERE...PINE
HILLS...OCOEE...OAK RIDGE...LAKE APOPKA...APOPKA...

* UNTIL 245 PM EDT.

* AT 213 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR LAKE
LOUISA...OR 10 MILES SOUTHEAST OF GROVELAND...MOVING EAST AT 55
MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
OAKLAND...HORIZON WEST...BAY HILL...DOCTOR PHILLIPS...UNIVERSAL
STUDIOS...WET N WILD WATER PARK AND ORLOVISTA

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A STRONG BUILDING ON
THE LOWEST FLOOR...IN AN INTERIOR ROOM SUCH AS A BATHROOM OR CLOSET.
KEEP AWAY FROM WINDOWS. GET UNDER A WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF
STURDY FURNITURE. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY.

EVACUATE MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES FOR MORE SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER.

&&

LAT...LON 2871 8148 2843 8140 2835 8179 2836 8180
2855 8188
TIME...MOT...LOC 1814Z 264DEG 60KT 2847 8172

$$

SPRATT

WDW1974

So the weather was a bit wild. Typical for Florida ... although down here in the better part of the state it was 90 and sunny, although quite breezy.

Did have a friend in Windermere tell me that things were quite rough there this afternoon. Just another reason to stay away from O-Town the two weeks surrounding Easter (the busiest weeks of Spring Break). ... Shame as I heard MK and IOA were both close to capacity before the rains came and that Epcot (which I've heard saw significant damage to the Flower exhibits) and UNI were both 'packed' as well.

Bolt

Ok, so I was there for only half an hour. And I was at the entrance closest to test track. But when I was there during that half hour (4:00-4:30) they weren't letting people in...
I was there at 4:00pm - it stopped raining at about 3:55pm. The sun was out by 4:15pm. All of the warnings had been lifted - I could see cast members asking guests not to come in if the rain had ceased.

WDW1974

Could have sworn I just got an alert that I had been quoted by a poster named 'J something or other ... T ... that's it, JT04' ... wonder where that post went? Maybe it got smart and went to DLR!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom